Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Atom Smasher  (Read 2555 times)

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Atom Smasher
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:32:34 pm »

Can I have a pictured tutorial?
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Atom Smasher
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »

Its pretty easy it's using a bridge which raises in a certain direction (pressing w-a-s-d while building) placing a zone (i) on the part where the bridge would fall, then raise the bridge and mark some items for dump. The dorfs will bring them to the zone and when it's full or whatever you pull the lever and bam everything that was underneath the bridge is gone. I could make a tutorial on it sometime though.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:12 pm »

The only mistake you can really make is to forget to switch the bridge from a retractable bridge to a drawbridge.  If you do make that mistake, rather than smashing your garbage, your junk will just get tossed around the room.
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »

Hmm.. So if there are animals or dwarves there, when I pull lever on and the off - will there be limbss and blood?

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:19:35 pm »

Technically, I think you can make a 1x1 drawbridge, and it will atomsmash anything on it when you pull the lever.

Personally, I prefer to make my atom smashers in a pit, so dwarves throw their trash down. Also limits the risk of fun.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »

Hmm.. So if there are animals or dwarves there, when I pull lever on and the off - will there be limbss and blood?

There will be nothing. They don't get smashed, they get atom smashed.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:20:12 pm »

No.  If you drop a bridge on a dwarf there won't be any blood.  There will be nothing.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:20 pm »

I've always preferred a hole that leads to magma/semi-molten rock, but question: if you atom-smash an item, does it still appear in the stocks menu, as is the case with items that get encased in ice?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:37:11 pm »

Daww... Which trap is best for blood? That doesn't cover too much on Z axis (vertical)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 06:37:53 pm »

Daww... Which trap is best for blood? That doesn't cover too much on Z axis (vertical)
Upright spike trap, connected to a lever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:57:21 pm »

I've always preferred a hole that leads to magma/semi-molten rock, but question: if you atom-smash an item, does it still appear in the stocks menu, as is the case with items that get encased in ice?
What part of "atom smashed" is hard to understand? @.@  There's no other way to say "utterly destroyed".

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:38:19 pm »

What part of "atom smashed" is hard to understand? @.@  There's no other way to say "utterly destroyed".
Actually, there is - annihilate.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:58:09 pm »

"completely removed from the map" and "completely removed from the GAME" are two distinct ideas that I learned about the hard way, which is why i asked rather than assuming.  :-[

Also, irl "atom smashers" accelerate sub-atomic particles into collisions with each other so that the constituent particles can be examined, and so have less to do with "utter destruction of matter" (which would violate the first law of thermodynamics), and more to do with changing matter and energy into other kinds of matter and energy. Hence, and parallel between a REAL atom smasher and a "dwarven" atom smasher is a misnomer, hence my confusion.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »

"completely removed from the map" and "completely removed from the GAME" are two distinct ideas that I learned about the hard way, which is why i asked rather than assuming.  :-[

Also, irl "atom smashers" accelerate sub-atomic particles into collisions with each other so that the constituent particles can be examined, and so have less to do with "utter destruction of matter" (which would violate the first law of thermodynamics), and more to do with changing matter and energy into other kinds of matter and energy. Hence, and parallel between a REAL atom smasher and a "dwarven" atom smasher is a misnomer, hence my confusion.

Then pretend your bridge is antimatter, and everything under it is matter. Annihilation. (Unfortunately, no gamma rays are produced - would be a fun thing to weaponize though.)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »

Then pretend your bridge is antimatter, and everything under it is matter. Annihilation. (Unfortunately, no gamma rays are produced - would be a fun thing to weaponize though.)

Lol, let's get toady to add gamma rays to the dev list. :P
Pages: [1] 2