Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ... shattering the skull ...  (Read 4418 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
... shattering the skull ...
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:42:05 pm »

The Speardwarf charges The Elf Spearman.
The Elf Spearman looks surprised by the ferocity of The Speardwarf's onslaught!
The Speardwarf stabs The Elf Spearman in the head with his -iron spear- tearing the muscle and shattering the skull through the ({rope reed fiber hood})!
A tendon in the skull has been torn.

The Speardwarf collides with The Elf Spearman!
The Elf Spearman is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Speardwarf stabs The Elf Spearman in left upper leg with his -iron spear-, fracturing the bone through the ({rope reed fiber cloak})!
A tendon has been torn!

The -iron spear- has lodged firmly in the wound!
As you can see from this, just because you've stabbed them in the head, shattering the skull, does not necessarily mean that they are dead yet.

Oh, and stabbing them in the nose, and having the severed part sail off in an arc is just wonderful humor. :D

For those wondering, this was the first ambush by the elves (embarked close enough to an elf civ that was at war with the dwarf civ I selected) in the spring of the fortress' second year.  Four dwarves from the first migrant wave have been sparring with training spears and shields for 6 months, then iron spears for another three or four months prior to the elves showing up.  No danger room, just sparring between four dwarves that all started with zero skills.  As of the start of this fight they are all either Adept (7), or Expert (8 ) speardwarves, and Competent (3), Skilled (4) or Proficient (5) shield users.

A danger room might have had them at legendary by now, but it just doesn't seem to be needed.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: ... shattering the skull ...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:03 pm »

In adventure mode, I had my skull shattered.  I slept until dawn and it was all better.  Yeah~

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »

Nice healing capability you had there. :)

Turns out one of my four dwarves earned a name after a goblin and either two or three elf spearman kills (I didn't notice until he had already killed three elves).  Imush Udoslogem Moldath Ramtak -- Imush Manpainted the Avalanche of Executing, with a goblin thief, six elven spearmen, and an elven bowman as his listed kills.  Considering he managed eight of the sixteen kills, I think he earned the title.  :o

Oh, and I guess this battle goes to prove, four dwarves with iron mail shirts, iron helms and iron spears is greater than 16 wooden armed and armoured elves, especially if the four dwarves have gained 7 or 8 levels of spear skill before the battle.   None of my dwarves received even a single bruise.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:29:46 pm »

Wooden weapons tend to bounce off of clothes, let alone any form of armor so that's no surprise there.

Far as the skull shattering goes, it's not the shattering that's fatal, but having a piece of bone jammed through the brain of the recipient of said skull smashery.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »

Or, sometimes, bruising the brain.

Normally a blow hard enough to shatter someone's skull is enough to kill them. Even if it doesn't, they're not likely to enjoy the next few months as the shattered pieces of their skull are knitted back together over the haemorrhaging.
[Signature]

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:10:38 pm »

Oh, and stabbing them in the nose, and having the severed part sail off in an arc is just wonderful humor. :D

Tycho Brahe would not agree.

Prosthetic metal noses sound like a wonderful addition to dwarven medicine. :P

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:57 am »

Denting the brain is not enough.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:42:23 am »

Washington saw Tomjanovich running toward the altercation. Not knowing that he intended to break up the fight, Washington hit Tomjanovich with a roundhouse punch. The blow, which took Tomjanovich by surprise, fractured his face about one-third of an inch (8 mm) away from his skull and left Tomjanovich unconscious in a pool of blood in the middle of the arena. Jabbar likened the sound of the punch to a watermelon being dropped onto concrete.[60] Tomjanovich had a reputation around the league as a peacemaker.[62] Players involved say that right after Tomjanovich collapsed the absence of sound at the arena, which was filled with shocked fans, was "the loudest silence you have ever heard."[63] Reporters heard the sound of the punch all in the way in the second floor press box, and some rushed to the playing floor in disbelief.[64]

Tomjanovich was able to get up and walk around however, and on the way into the locker room he saw Washington. Tomjanovich says that he became aggressive and asked Washington why he punched him. Washington yelled something inaudible about Kunnert, and they were broken up by two security personnel.[65] Tomjanovich was in no condition to fight despite his aggressiveness; besides having the bone structure of his face detached from his skull and suffering a cerebral concussion and broken jaw and nose, he was leaking blood and spinal fluid into his skull capsule. His skull was fractured in such a way that Tomjanovich could taste the spinal fluid leaking into his mouth.[66][67] He later recalled that at the time of the incident, he believed the scoreboard had fallen on him.[68] The doctor who worked on Tomjanovich said "I have seen many people with far less serious injuries not make it" and likened the surgery to Scotch taping together a badly shattered eggshell.[60]

From wikipedia, as everyone without a shattered skull probably noticed.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:41:38 am »

I got a combat report a few seconds ago where a forgotten beast was killed by having its brain bruised. It doesn't happen all the time though.
[Signature]

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:15 am »

I got a combat report a few seconds ago where a forgotten beast was killed by having its brain bruised. It doesn't happen all the time though.

nope... Concussions are always lethal in DF...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:37 am »

So a dented brain doesn't cause a concussion?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Manxome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »

Guys, I am brand new to DF - where do I see these interesting combat logs? all I get is the announcement that someone has died etc...  :)

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »

[ r ] from the root screen brings up combat reports.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 05:59:32 am »

Actually putting a spear through your skull is considered to be one of the oldest forms of complex surgery, and is still practiced today by hard core new agers who call it "trepanation" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 08:22:39 am »

Dented brains are not fatal, but bruising seems to be.
nope... Concussions are always lethal in DF...
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."
Pages: [1] 2