Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firefox... 5?  (Read 1383 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Firefox... 5?
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:52:12 pm »

So, I'm still using the good old Firefox 3.x. It updated quite normally just a moment ago, and everything went through as usual. Yet, on the "You have updated firefox!" page, it say "We recommend you update-(blah blah)-Firefox 5."
I thought, Firefox 5? Already? Surely that's a typo.
So, I checked.
I can't believe it. After all that time they spend making a huge fuss over Firefox 4, they've released Firefox 5 only months later, completely under the radar. (Or, my radar at least.)
Anyone here know anything about this?
Anyone here actually using it?
I'm intrigued, yet also very confused.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox... 5?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:53:53 pm »

Wow... v5 already...?  I've only just used v4 in the last 3-4 months.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:59:51 pm »

The reason they named it "5" is because of this.

Personally, I think they really shouldn't have used "5". There's... not really enough to say that it's an entirely new browser. I mean, 1000 bug fixes and improved HTML5 support is nice, but... is it really worth the extra number and not just a 4.5?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:00:35 pm »

The implementation detail is bullshit, they're doing the same thing Microsoft did with the Xbox 360: they're getting jealous of the higher numbers of their competitors, so pulling shit out of their ass to make them sound more significant. IE 9, Opera 10, Chrome freaking 12. Makes FF seem insignificant in comparison!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

I noticed it earlier and thought it was a malicious popup, given how new FF4 seems to be.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:11:16 pm »

Oh great.
So. Anyone know any browsers that aren't insane? Preferably with an old fashioned UI, Gecko render and a good dynamic HTML editor?
Just getting my list ready for when I have to jump ship from Firefox 3.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:21:46 pm »

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:37:34 pm »

TLDR there's not really anything but Firefox doing that well with Gecko anymore, Webkit is the big boss anymore.

It is like 2011 or something now, don't use a browser with a built in site editor please.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:17:27 pm »

It is like 2011 or something now, don't use a browser with a built in site editor please.
Yeah but they're kind of handy for...
You know...
Editing sites.
Which, if you hadn't guessed, is pretty handy when you're making a website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

Go ahead and look for yourself.
Thanks. Though, looks like I could spend hours looking at this! Hehehe.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »

The IE team didn't send Firefox a cake for this.

They sent a cupcake.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:51:07 pm »

Yeah but they're kind of handy for...
You know...
Editing sites.
Which, if you hadn't guessed, is pretty handy when you're making a website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

Go ahead and look for yourself.
Thanks. Though, looks like I could spend hours looking at this! Hehehe.

You know what's handier for editing sites? Proper tools like notepad++ or even if you really absolutely must Dreamweaver :P
Disclosure: I am a web technology consultant for a living.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 01:45:15 am »

What a load of garbage. I like knowing my version numbers very much, thanks. Eliminating version numbers isn't helping anything, it's just putting your head up your arse. Or, your customers' heads up your arse as it may be.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »

I know this topic's a few days old, but I forgot about it.

You know what's handier for editing sites? Proper tools like notepad++ or even if you really absolutely must Dreamweaver :P
Disclosure: I am a web technology consultant for a living.
I think you misunderstand the purpose of a live dynamic HTML/Javascript editor in a browser.
It'd be a pretty shoddy place to start a web page in the browser.
If you're curious, I use Visual Studio for making websites. Firebug on the other hand, lets me see what the page's code looks like, and how the browser is interpreting that code into visual elements in real time. I really couldn't be without it when writing AJAX heavy pages.
(It's also pretty handy for checking my designs are fitting together properly.)

What a load of garbage. I like knowing my version numbers very much, thanks. Eliminating version numbers isn't helping anything, it's just putting your head up your arse. Or, your customers' heads up your arse as it may be.
I pretty much couldn't agree more.
I'm of the view that the version number is sacred. You mustn't change it's system no matter what happens. Or decrement versions.
My reasoning is that it's a numerical way of keeping track of your project, and as such is a strict and coldhearted rule set. Breaking your system effectively erases record of your progress - in a way.
Well, I guess all we can do is start looking forward to Mozilla Firefox 402. It'll probably be out by September.

Actually. Here's a question for everyone here at Bay12. Firefox is Open Source, and Mozilla are a Non-profit company. What do they stand to gain by trying to look good in comparison to the other browsers in such a superficial way?
Would it not benefit them more to build a stable, reliable and pleasant to work with browser? (Like say... Firefox 3?) Seeing as, you know... They don't make any money from it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »

You have a point there, Fayrik.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »

Watch them implement 'premium' by FF7...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2