Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Foreign Weapons  (Read 9175 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign Weapons
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 02:56:18 pm »

I never mentioned dwarves carrying an unlimited number of anything O.o  I'm ignoring adventure mode here because we all know that you can 'r'emove any item into your hand and use it.  I'm talking pure fortress mode.

Dimitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 07:11:32 pm »

If I'm reading things right, a dwarf's height and broadness can be 75-125% default size.  If both are applied, that means a dwarf can be between 33,750 and 93,750 size.  The largest of dwarves can single-hand any weapon, and equip a shield or another weapon in the off-hand.  An average dwarf uses most foreign weapons as a multi-grasp.  A very small dwarf cannot use the majority of weapons, even domestic weapons (which makes me think I'm interpreting the numbers wrong).  However, the chances of getting both broadness and height at minimum is 1/14, and genetics do seem to play some role, making exceptionally small dwarves rare and/or evolution'd away during worldgen.  I've heard conflicting reports about dual-wielding weapons and shields, and I know that high/broadness plays a roll in weapon size, but the exact relation is unknown.

If my (Admittedly horrible) math skills are correct, it should range from 45,000 to 75,000, using the 75-125% range.
Smallest Dwarves should be able to use standard civ weaponry, but only the heavy duty Dwarves could use the larger weaponry humans would bring. If my math is correct, that is.

Which it probably isn't. ::)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 07:49:02 pm »

Well, except there's two of them.  Height AND broadness (and length, but it's not used with dwarves) both go 75-125 in range.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 08:39:03 pm »

RE: quality of dorf made weapons: I was very surprised when I found this out, so I imagine there are some others who don't know about it either. Weapon/armor quality doesn't matter except for masterwork and artifact weapons/armor. Exceptional weapons are just as good at standard.

I hope there is more info about foreign weapons, I'm also interested and the wiki doesn't talk about 1h/2h at all.

Also, from what I've heard (and seen in my own games) whips are currently broken, and have physics similar to lightsabers. They'll chip your bones no matter what you're wearing.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »

RE: quality of dorf made weapons: I was very surprised when I found this out, so I imagine there are some others who don't know about it either.
What about named weapons? They're listed as artifacts, but do they receive the same bonuses artifacts do? Is a named exceptional spear as good as any old artifact spear of the same material?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Dimitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 11:24:10 pm »

Well, except there's two of them.  Height AND broadness (and length, but it's not used with dwarves) both go 75-125 in range.

Whelp, there 'is' that little tidbit I managed to conveniently forget. Ugh.
I'm actually not sure what to make of it: I don't believe I've ever encountered anything in Vanilla that couldn't wield the basic weapons.
Perhaps one has more of an effect than the other?

Also, from what I've heard (and seen in my own games) whips are currently broken, and have physics similar to lightsabers. They'll chip your bones no matter what you're wearing.
The mechanics behind the super-whip are simple: Small contact surface, fairly deep penetration, blunt force.
Not that dissimilar from the warhammer, really.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 02:33:42 am »

Just to update on that lasher squad, one of my lashes took one single hit on a forgotten beast just now.

"The Lasher lashes The Forgotten Beast in the head with her (iron whip) and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

So yeah, they're pretty good.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 02:46:07 am »

Just to update on that lasher squad, one of my lashes took one single hit on a forgotten beast just now.

"The Lasher lashes The Forgotten Beast in the head with her (iron whip) and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

So yeah, they're pretty good.
What kind of FB was it? Liquid FBs usually go down in a single hit but steel FBs are very difficult to kill.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 07:41:32 am »

I'm pretty wary of lashers after seeing a master lasher manage to dodge through my weapon traps, then cripple a barracks full of twelve heavily armoured dwarves. Every hit that connected fractured bones through armour. I didn't expect whips (Even metal ones) to be effective against armour.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 11:08:49 am »

Speaking of unusual weapons: I have a Donkey Bone battleaxe, thanks to one of the billion possessions in my fort. Is it worth telling a soldier to take it out and use it, or will the material doom it to uselessness?

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:18 pm »

RE: quality of dorf made weapons: I was very surprised when I found this out, so I imagine there are some others who don't know about it either.
What about named weapons? They're listed as artifacts, but do they receive the same bonuses artifacts do? Is a named exceptional spear as good as any old artifact spear of the same material?
Short version, no. When a weapon gets a name it doesn't bump the stats of the weapon up any, it just means the dwarf using it has gotten alot of time/kills with that particular weapon and REALLY likes it. This can lead to some problems if you want to upgrade to a better quality or better material weapon later.

@Grath: while that artifact donkey bone axe will get the to hit bonus an artifact normally gets it's still made of donkey bone and as such still has the physical properties of bone. So it probably isn't that great for smacking stuff.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 01:35:38 pm »

Speaking of unusual weapons: I have a Donkey Bone battleaxe, thanks to one of the billion possessions in my fort. Is it worth telling a soldier to take it out and use it, or will the material doom it to uselessness?

I have a similar artifact (pig bone battleaxe) and it's not that great... My artifact is particularly aggravating, because among other things it is adorned with adamantine and steel (from waffles and bars, respectively). Stupid possessed children.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 03:15:43 pm »

What kind of FB was it? Liquid FBs usually go down in a single hit but steel FBs are very difficult to kill.

There was two forgotten beasts in the caverns, I initially thought this was the elk one. Turns out it was the sandy clay loam one. Went down in less than a page of combat reports.

Nonetheless, the lasher squad is interesting to have around. Every hit to the upper body always yields a bruised organ. I've seen lashers just taking shot after shot at the various organs of their enemies. Any shot to arms or legs yield a chipped bone. The most impressive part is that every headshot I've seen ends the battle (that whole fracturing the skull and pushing into the brain and what not).

I probably wouldn't choose a lasher squad over any other squad for fighting unarmored opponents, but they're only expert right now so I'll have to wait until they're legendary like the rest of my army. I'll also have to wait until I see units coming in in better armor than a copper helmet to judge the effectiveness against armored opponents.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »

Foreign weapons are theoretically good, but you rarely get any that are better than base quality.

As for mauls, they aren't very good can openers, but they are so big that they can send pretty much anything flying. Might be fun in a narrow hallway, where you can let wall impacts do all the damage for you.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

I thought gobbo-punting was no longer possible.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4