Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: American man robbed a bank for $1 so he could go to jail and get health care  (Read 32119 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your particularly cold is above our average for winter.

No one wears more then windbreakers until it drops to like 20.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

So I assume everyone in your state is born with +50% Cold Resistance?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

We've gone from -15F to 96F this year. Thankfully, the snow isn't as bad as some other places.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, guys, being homeless isn't that bad. If you have a means to scavenge or hunt food and maybe a beater car or something you can get by alright. I mean, yeah, it sucks pretty hard, but it's not the end of the world. I'd certainly rather leave myself to the elements than commit crime for a roof over my head.

Are you kidding me? Why don't you go try it?

You don't think it's "that bad" to have to scavenge for food and not have a place to even sleep that isn't exposed to the elements? Before you say you'd rather sleep outside every night, not have a place to bathe, and have to scavenge for food, you should probably consider what it would be like to actually have to do that for a year, and what that would mean to you.

The life expectancy of someone in LA County, for example, is 62% that of the general population. You think there aren't reasons for that? Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they have terrible nutrition, next to no health care, are constantly overexposed, and are subject to disease and crime. I've heard an interview on the radio with a man who runs a mobile medical service for the homeless (I forget which city), and these are people who can't even get the kind of medical care that most people with no health insurance get, and that's not much.

From that site that was linked:
I spent nearly five years, from mid-1996 to the beginning of 2001, homeless, or as I liked to call it with a distributed household. I had storage, shelter, mailbox, telephone, shower, bathroom facilities, cooking equipment, and transportation, even access to television, radio, computer equipment, and ac power. I had the essence of a home. It was simply more geographically scattered than is traditional in our culture.

This is by no means what "homelessness" is to the majority of homeless. Most homeless do not have the opportunity to have those things. I admit that "homeless" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and that there's a difference between the homeless out on the street and your traditional "hobo", but to say that homelessness "isn't a big deal" is completely ridiculous. Maybe you ought to try thinking from another's perspective before talking about how you'd rather sleep out on the street in the middle of winter and dig for food out of trash cans than steal a few bucks from some corporate-owned business... people don't do that kind of thing unless they really have to, and at that point it's a matter of survival. I've seen people like that and I'm at least vaguely aware of what it does to them, and it's pretty disastrous. I'm not exactly a fan of crime, but I absolutely would not blame someone in such a situation if they had to resort to it in order to get themselves fed or clothed or off the street for the night, and I at least try not to be so arrogant or presumptuous as to think that I wouldn't do the same.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

You know, guys, being homeless isn't that bad. If you have a means to scavenge or hunt food and maybe a beater car or something you can get by alright. I mean, yeah, it sucks pretty hard, but it's not the end of the world. I'd certainly rather leave myself to the elements than commit crime for a roof over my head.
Are you kidding me? Why don't you go try it?
G-Flex, if I'm remebering correctly, MZ did try it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll assume he never had to dig through trash for food and was never stuck with severe health problems from having to live out in the street exposed to the elements, but if he did, and still would rather do that than rob a 7-11, then I guess that's his prerogative.

Homelessness A is not Homelessness B. A guy living out of his car for a few months is not the same as someone chronically homeless on the streets of a city, for example.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm not assuming anything untill he comes back to respond. I remember one of his stories was about nearly getting killed by a wolf that he thought was a dog from a distance, because he was trying to steal its kill for food.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My dad has been over a homeless shelter for well over 10 years. Through him, I've gotten to see the worst of the worst situations. The worst of the worst of the worst... are the chronically homeless. The people who have been stuck so long that they don't know how to get out. The people who have severe mental illness and no support system anywhere. The people who don't know anything else. You can say that Homelessness A is not Homelessness B, but there is nothing quite as bad as the worst of the chronically homeless.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll assume he never had to dig through trash for food and was never stuck with severe health problems from having to live out in the street exposed to the elements, but if he did, and still would rather do that than rob a 7-11, then I guess that's his prerogative.

Homelessness A is not Homelessness B. A guy living out of his car for a few months is not the same as someone chronically homeless on the streets of a city, for example.

This is basically correct. The thing is, Homelessness A, living out of a car and raiding the Burger King dumpster just struggling along to get back to the program isn't the same person who is squatting on a corner downtown with a cup living in a storm drain.

One is just a normal person who has fallen on hard times and is just struggling to survive. The other is usually bat-shit crazy and simply cannot function in society at all. "Street kids" and the hippie street people adopt something like the latter as a lifestyle choice. Some are erm "hobos" that live in tents in the woods and steal scrap metal and shit from trains to survive. Thats the nitty-gritty of it. You can blame Reagan for kicking out all the non-violent schizophrenics and the sort from the mental institutions, but there is definitely a divide between somebody who is homeless by external factors and one that is homeless by internal factors.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One is just a normal person who has fallen on hard times and is just struggling to survive. The other is usually bat-shit crazy and simply cannot function in society at all. "Street kids" and the hippie street people adopt something like the latter as a lifestyle choice. Some are erm "hobos" that live in tents in the woods and steal scrap metal and shit from trains to survive. Thats the nitty-gritty of it. You can blame Reagan for kicking out all the non-violent schizophrenics and the sort from the mental institutions, but there is definitely a divide between somebody who is homeless by external factors and one that is homeless by internal factors.

You're making some mistakes here.
  • Not everyone who is chronically homeless is "batshit insane" or "can't function in society". Often, the reason they can't function in society is because they're homeless and the problems it causes. See point #2.
  • External and internal factors are linked. If you have problems, it could make you homeless. If you are homeless, it can cause you problems. Someone who's living on the streets for years upon years is going to have "internal factors" even if there were none before. There are, in fact, plenty of chronically homeless people who are, well, fairly normal people, or who at least would be if it weren't for their homelessness.
  • Where do you even draw the line between "internal" and "external" factors to begin with? It's always an interaction of the two. Just because someone is mentally ill or otherwise incapable of working within society doesn't mean that it's entirely his fault, especially when you consider that being able to "function with society" both depends on what you're like and what society's like, and you can't assume the individual is the problem there.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I'm not assuming anything untill he comes back to respond. I remember one of his stories was about nearly getting killed by a wolf that he thought was a dog from a distance, because he was trying to steal its kill for food.

Yeah, I was homeless for a while. Yes, I've had to dig through trash for food, and steal medical supplies when I managed to sell enough drawings at the campsite I was stuck at to get gas for my beatermobile to get to town. I'm not proud of it, and yes, it almost killed me. But you know what? It didn't kill me, and it wasn't the end of the world. Homeless is nothing to scoff at, but it's better than being in jail. I'd rather be a scruffy bum scrapping and digging to survive than rot with the trash.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait. You said you'd rather expose yourself to the elements than commit crimes... yet, when you were exposed to the elements, you had to deal with it by committing crimes.

Hint: If something "almost killed you", required you to eat out of the trash and forced you to steal medical supplies to take care of yourself, and you were not even nearly the worst case, then yes, it's "that bad".

I find it rather hypocritical that you refer to people in jail as "the trash" while fully admitting that you had to commit crimes to survive.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait. You said you'd rather expose yourself to the elements than commit crimes... yet, when you were exposed to the elements, you had to deal with it by committing crimes.

Hint: If something "almost killed you", required you to eat out of the trash and forced you to steal medical supplies to take care of yourself, and you were not even nearly the worst case, then yes, it's "that bad".

I find it rather hypocritical that you refer to people in jail as "the trash" while fully admitting that you had to commit crimes to survive.

100% agreed.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the other hand, I can understand valuing your own freedom and self-determination enough that you wouldn't want to give that up even if it did mean a better quality of life in other respects.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

You know, I never said I wasn't part of "the trash" myself. There's not a day that goes by that I don't regret stealing the stuff I did. I was just as bad as any other loser bum out there, but I had the wherewithal to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get on with civilized life. If I had to do it again, I'd probably learn to tend wounds without a first aid kit, and stay the hell away from feral animals.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15