Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: American man robbed a bank for $1 so he could go to jail and get health care  (Read 32100 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I have never been to prison, but I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing that the lower security ones, that exist to support the mass of criminals convinced that aren't really a major threat to anybody, are close to motels, and not the 'don't drop the soap' hell holes they are made out to be in the movies.
Were I homeless with no chance of a turn around, I would try my luck.

They're no hell hole, but they still have their horror stories. It mostly depends on who you have to interact with though.

The staff generally are no help. They MIGHT keep the prisoners from killing each other... might.
You might end up roommates with a decent sort and become buddies.
Or you might end up like one guy I knew and wake up with them masturbating onto your face at night.

Certainly these are just anecdotes from friends of friends. They are true some of the times, but they're also false some of the time as well. If things looked bad enough, certainly any option can be considered and you really don't know how it will affect you personally until you go through it.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This happened quite near where I live, and it's not exactly surprising. Conditions can get terrible in that area. It can be quite common in Gastonia to get homeless people in the winter to commit offenses like vandalism and shoplifting to get a roof over their heads. Public intoxication is quite popular too, but I don't think I've ever heard about it for felonies.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Well I have never been to prison, but I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing that the lower security ones, that exist to support the mass of criminals convinced that aren't really a major threat to anybody, are close to motels, and not the 'don't drop the soap' hell holes they are made out to be in the movies.
Were I homeless with no chance of a turn around, I would try my luck.
In the US, there are five levels of prison security:

Minimum: No violent criminals, or at least not ones that generally pose a threat to other people. Nice place, more like a college dormitory than what you'd think of as a prison. Things are nice enough here, you might even get internet if you behave! (So someone in one of these prisons could very well be reading this sentence.) Somtimes there's a single lightly-guarded fence, but a lot of them don't even bother. The conditions are pleasent enough that most people wouldn't risk escape, as this can get you bumped up to medium security. Your fellow prisoners probably aren't going to hurt you, embezzlers, identity thieves, and light drug users aren't really known for violence. You have a good chance of ending your term early if you don't act up, especially considering the number of rehabilitation and community service programs available from this security level. The few guards that are around probably won't end up killing you in any situation.

Medium: Some violent criminals, but only a few killers as that's usually maximum security. The others are those who've commited a lot of severe non violent-crime. Communal living, with bunks and lockers for personal posessions. Most of the facilites are communal too, so don't drop the soap. You'll mostly be around other prisoners, and a few guards. At night, only a few will be keeping watch as the amount of trouble here is limited. Join a prison gang if you want to avoid the violent people's wrath, though. Most people here are getting out eventually, assuming they don't die in the next few decades. Double-fenced perimeter. Guards usually use less-than-lethal weaponry here.

Maximum: Boy, you sure screwed up to get here. You only get out of your cell for one hour a day, but at least you get to move about the cell block. Don't bother trying to escape, the security is all controlled by a remote terminal that isn't connected to any cell block. Very few here are ever going to be free again, as sentences are usually life or periods of time that will go over your lifespan. Triple-fenced perimeter, with a lethal current running through the outermost one. Oh, and a metric ton of razor wire.

Supermax: The worst of the worst go here. You might not end up in solitary, but you will be kept seperate from other prisoners. 23 hours a day in your cell, one hour to exercise in a cage outside. Dozens of guards with shoot-to-kill orders and multiple fences and security doors stand between you and freedom. No one leaves here except in a body bag.

Ultramax: You do not want to be here, ever. 24 hour solitary confinement, no chance of improvement or escape. This is how you will live out the remander of your days, completely alone. You'll probably go insane sooner or later. Death would probably be preferable to this. Only exists in the worst sections of ADX Florence, the only federally run Supermax prison in the USA. Coined term, not technically a real security level.

Now, this is how it's supposed to work. Problem is, there are so many prisoners and overcrowed facilites that sometimes security compromises have to be made just to hold all the criminals around. Keep in mind that these descriptions are what I knew about prisons beforehand and some light research, so don't take what I've told you as absolutely true.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:33:15 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Should I ask what the sixth level is?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you could afford it if you stopped trying to play super hero.
You can't just throw out number like that and not provide and frame of reference. If you compare it with GDP, the US spends 4.7% of its GDP on the military, which is 11th in the world.

Furthermore, Pensions, Healthcare and Education each individually surpass defense.

I agree that defense spending is a lot higher than it needs to be, but the margin by which it is higher than other countries is far smaller than you make it out to be by positng that graph and nothing else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Death penalty.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Death penalty.
The truth is that I mistook the original number of levels, and removed the one that wasn't really a level without changing the number, but that works too.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

You can't just throw out number like that and not provide and frame of reference. If you compare it with GDP, the US spends 4.7% of its GDP on the military, which is 11th in the world.

Furthermore, Pensions, Healthcare and Education each individually surpass defense.

I agree that defense spending is a lot higher than it needs to be, but the margin by which it is higher than other countries is far smaller than you make it out to be by positng that graph and nothing else.

10th, north Korea doesn't count.
But my point still stands, as most of the other countries there around your position are filled with gang war lords. 4.7% is just too high for a stable, developed nation. Look at some other stable countries.
UK: 2.7%
France: 2.5%
Australia: 1.9%
Italy: 1.8%
Canada: 1.5%
Germany: 1.4%
NZ: 1.2%
Spain: 1.1%
Austria: 0.9%

Your about double the top for those figures. You should be cutting military spending in half, and using all that cash to do something productive.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

Ok, responding to a bunch of posts, so bear with me.

I'm also curious to see if this will be used as an excuse to cut things like healthcare from prisons.

So wait, it is more likely to be used as a reason to remove healthcare from prisons, than to get public healthcare?
THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!
Prisoners do have it too good. They get huge benefeits, three square meals a day, special activity programs, et cetera. Prison is supposed to be undesirable to go to. That so much money is being spent to make the prisoners comfortable is counterproductive, costing more money per prisoner and reducing the deterrent effect, bringing more in. Now, if we put the prisoners to work, it would go a long ways to recoup the costs, as well as letting them acquire some practical skills. But of course, that would be inhumane.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this guy genuinely needed the healthcare and was not doing it just to be lazy, I have some sympathy for him. However, jacking up taxes to pay for universal healthcare would mean he has less money on hand for other things, like food or a roof over his head. Sorry if it is harsh, but we can't all have it easy. I hope some opportunities open up for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you could afford it if you stopped trying to play super hero.

This. Also, the world won't fully appreciate our police-work until it's gone. Well, except maybe Russia, China, Cuba, the terrorists, and everyone else that's a million times worse and more brutal than us.

Prison must never be a free ride.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile

Also, the world won't fully appreciate our police-work until it's gone. Well, except maybe Russia, China, Cuba, the terrorists, and everyone else that's a million times worse and more brutal than us.
:o

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

Lagslayer: because other places are worse does not make things in America good. Just sayin'

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, the world won't fully appreciate our police-work until it's gone. Well, except maybe Russia, China, Cuba, the terrorists, and everyone else that's a million times worse and more brutal than us.

HYPERBOLE AND XENOPHOBIA X2 COMBO!

... Guess the combo number for the facepalms.  Just guess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Oh yea, Lagslayer, I agree prison should not be a desirable position. I have heard about prisoners getting Xboxes to play with over here, and that is getting way out of hand in my opinion, but food, water, shelter and medical care are basic human rights by todays standards, not luxuries. If you want to make something uncomfortable, take away their tv and give them book instead, and they will come out a better person, and that is the goal the legal system! But take away medical care, and your not forfilling your duty of care.
I would support giving prisoners labour for minimal wages, but I would fight tooth and nail for their human rights.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

The prisons would be nearly empty if we just ended the war on drugs and legalized said drugs. That's a big part of crime in the USA. If recreational drug use isn't a crime, drug users don't end up in prison. Gangs don't make profits and collapse, taking their crime out of the system as well.

From there, we can focus more effectively on those that are left in the now undercrowded prisons. But that would be smart, and we know how much Congress hates smart things.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

If this guy genuinely needed the healthcare and was not doing it just to be lazy, I have some sympathy for him. However, jacking up taxes to pay for universal healthcare would mean he has less money on hand for other things, like food or a roof over his head. Sorry if it is harsh, but we can't all have it easy. I hope some opportunities open up for you.
Unless of course you weight the increases in taxes in such a way that he can continue to pay for food and a roof over his head.  The last sentence is pretty entertaining ("I don't want anything to be done to help you but I kindof hope something helpful just randomly happens").
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15