Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: American man robbed a bank for $1 so he could go to jail and get health care  (Read 32077 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am so revolted by all this that I really can't say anything more.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, none basically.  Hypothetically speaking, if I were homeless, I would do like quite a few do, and rely on repeated misdemeanor crimes to keep me floating in and out of county jails.  The population is considerably less dangerous and there's very little gang presence, precisely because most of the people in there expect not to stay particularly long and then carry on with their lives.  Not to mention, they're considerably less brutal in design, if not particularly well appointed.

Except some States have laws specifically in place to seriously punish people who do this... a lot more harshly then what is reasonable for them to do.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends if you're white or not.

If you're homeless, it doesn't matter what color you are. You're a canker on the ass of American society as far as the legal system is concerned.
But if you steal in order to go to prison, it's actually well-documented fact that blacks in particular face disproportional reactions from judge and jury in our judicial system. See every case study about the death penalty ever, and the false imprisonment of blacks vs whites for crimes they did not commit. Whites might be sent to social rehabilitation and county jails while blacks are sent to high-security long-term prisons.

Well, see this is trick to it. You have to figure out a crime and conduct it in a way so that you go to a nice minimum security prison, or at least a nicer state or federal prison.

Problem with getting into those luxurious minimum security prison is that it has to be a non-violent crime, which isn't drug-related but is severe enough to warrent a long sentence. All the white-collar crimes. But you need to have money or at least a business to commit fraud with. Counterfeiting might work, though. Black or white or not, if you have no other record, don't use violence or coercion, you probably won't get sent to real prison.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile

Well I think Kael's post is quite compelling evidence for the arguement.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

You know, guys, being homeless isn't that bad. If you have a means to scavenge or hunt food and maybe a beater car or something you can get by alright. I mean, yeah, it sucks pretty hard, but it's not the end of the world. I'd certainly rather leave myself to the elements than commit crime for a roof over my head.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Where you live? Because if you're in the upper midwest, the elements aren't something you laugh at. Or if you do, you die frozen with a horrible rictus smile on your face.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Hell, you don't even have to be in the upper Midwest. Central Iowa here, and it drops well below cold enough to kill you in the winter, if you're outside and unprotected for a long enough period of time. Not every day, but it only takes one -20 degree night to kill you if you aren't sufficiently resourceful. Also, if you don't realize that while alcohol makes you feel warmer, it makes you freeze to death faster.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm in North Carolina, and we had a week this past winter that was so cold it definitely would have killed someone if they were exposed unprotected for a while. So the year also matters. Of course, some areas (Phoenix) also have the opposite problem (Phoenix) where it gets way too hot to be outdoors (Phoenix) and even in winter the heat might be able to kill you (Phoneix), not even touching thee uninhabitable hellscape that must be summer (Phoneix). Who would ever want to live in an area where 120 degree heat is normal and 80 is cool?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

You know, guys, being homeless isn't that bad. If you have a means to scavenge or hunt food and maybe a beater car or something you can get by alright. I mean, yeah, it sucks pretty hard, but it's not the end of the world. I'd certainly rather leave myself to the elements than commit crime for a roof over my head.
Oh yeah? How about being 14, 3 months pregnant and homeless? I was pretty lucky because I was only in the streets for three months, but I can tell you that it's definitely not "not that bad"
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Shall we call that a miscalculated joke and move on? :P

Who would ever want to live in an area where 120 degree heat is normal and 80 is cool?

People who hate cold so much they might as well be reptiles.

I.e. me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who would ever want to live in an area where 120 degree heat is normal and 80 is cool?

Um. I would. They cycle like 60 degrees the whole year. We go though 150. I think it would be much easier to live there, at least you could adjust.

Or, another way of putting it: Arizona only get somewhat hotter (10-20 degrees) then here. But we get a lot colder (100 or so)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:28:03 pm by Criptfeind »

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree. You can get by being homeless, assuming you have some sort of meager income.

http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/

That webpage actually a pretty good way to go about it.

My hypothetical about intentionally trying to go to a nice prison is for, say you have absolutely no desire or ability to work regularly and you would glady trade freedom for security and 3 hots and a cot.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Um. I would. They cycle like 60 degrees the whole year. We go though 150. I think it would be much easier to live there, at least you could adjust.
It generally cycles 60 degrees in NC as well, just from 30 to 100 instead of Phoenix's 70 to 130. The differences is that I can go outside in June here without instantly getting my exterior cells burned to an ashen crisp.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, yours would be even better. Unless it was a wet heat, then Arizona would still be better. I would not mind light clothing weather year round.

Can you grow lemons?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I think so, but I wouldn't consider 30 degrees to be light clothing weather. This past year was also particularly cold, and one week got down in to the 15 range. That was not fun.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15