Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Study of the Intelligent Races of Dwarf Fortress  (Read 4922 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
A Study of the Intelligent Races of Dwarf Fortress
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »

Crazy Cow McScientist, on his extensive studies of Dwarven biological processes

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, today I got bored. I thought to myself, "what if there was some kind of explanation for all the crazy crap that goes on in Dwarf Fortress?" So, I took it upon myself to try to dive into the workings of Dwarf Fortress, the kinds of things we cannot see from our overhead perspective as minor avatars of Armok. So, if people like this, I'll post my study of Elves and come up with something for Goblins and Cutebolds. Read it! Tell me what you think!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:06:12 pm by Crazy Cow »

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Study of the Intelligent Races of Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:19:38 pm »

GJ, you made my tea time fun :)
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:38:33 pm »

Finally, a scientific explanation to the reason we have no tools.

I'd love to hear what elves have that makes them complete jerks when it comes to wooden trade goods. I suppose they must be part wood, what with all the tree fondling and such.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:06:38 pm »

Interesting theory. I can't wait to read your other analysis !

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »

Crazy Cow McScientist, on his extensive studies of Elven biological processes

I'm glad people like these! I need to think of something unique for Goblins and Cutebolds (although I'm thinking of playing on some kind of "disease" that causes intelligent creatures to perceive kobolds as "cute" and therefore less likely to horribly kill them), but I have not a clue as to how to model Goblins into something unique. I'd appreciate it if you guys tossed some ideas around!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:28:26 pm »

These are awesome. Keep 'em coming!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:02:26 am »

Cutebolds release drug-like gasses that make other races see them as "cute".

As for goblins... I don't know.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:12:27 am »

Watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:12 am »

Looking forward to them kyutbolds.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »

Although the title bugs me... "Intelligent races", yet you also studied dwarves..?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »

Although the title bugs me... "Intelligent races", yet you also studied elfs..?

Fixed that for you
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:43:43 pm »

I love these. Disturbingly fitting, especially in DF.

I'd offer suggestions, as you've asked, but I doubt my imaginative/scientific processes are anywhere near yours.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 03:30:07 pm »

No, go ahead! Even if I don't use your ideas, they might inspire something else. I'm getting a rough idea of what the Kobold report will look like, but I still need ideas for Goblins. Fire away!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »

Crazy Cow McScientist, on his extensive studies of Dwarven biological processes

So, today I got bored. I thought to myself, "what if there was some kind of explanation for all the crazy crap that goes on in Dwarf Fortress?" So, I took it upon myself to try to dive into the workings of Dwarf Fortress, the kinds of things we cannot see from our overhead perspective as minor avatars of Armok. So, if people like this, I'll post my study of Elves and come up with something for Goblins and Cutebolds. Read it! Tell me what you think!
As far as I am aware, not all dwarves have external beards, thus many beards (eg those in females) must be internalized, I cannot guess to the position of the beard, but I am more than certain that it does not want to be found. There is yet another discrepancy that I must wonder at in the beard-human parasitic theory, there is no evidence anywhere of any human being infected by the beards, thus the beard is either the ultimate in immune system avoidance, or it has found a way to become integrated into the very genetic code of the dwarf, thus manufacturing viruses that carry its own genetic information into the nuclei of their cells, allowing a beard to live within them all.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »

Very Funny I admit.

I thought there were male elfs?  Am I wrong?  I swore I found a few.  And Also I have seen elves live to be more than 300.  So maybe it is a choice at that age? 

And female dwarves DO have beards.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold
Pages: [1] 2