Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXIV - Return of the vanilla! And then there were none...  (Read 108313 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXIV - Return of the vanilla! Day 2 - Jimmy Deadpants
« Reply #390 on: July 04, 2011, 05:16:16 pm »

You didn't say assuming, you said that you think Bdthemag is a townie.  I asked why do you think that.  Simple enough question.

Oh yea, your right, were talking about BD, sorry, early morning. Thought this was about Powder. My mistake!
How about because he hasn't done anything that scummy. I mean really, when I thought it was about powder I was just pointing out that it looked scumy without suspecting you at all, but your asking me to prove bd is townie? Hell no, prove to me he is scum! I think he is townie, so show me otherwise if you want a lynch, because calling everybody who doesn't see the world the same way as you scum is a rather scummy act. Fear tactics are scum moves.

I was referencing what you were saying about Vector so let me rephrase that for you:  You say that Vector chooses her words far more carefully then others, and looks far more critically at the wording of her own posts and others posts.  So what do you think that says about her?  Since if you thought it was a pointless statement, then why would you say it.
It means she is careful with her words, and I expect both scum vector and town vector to do the same. Although I would expect scum vector to try and destroy the town, so I was looking to see if she was attempting just that.
If I say vector is careful with her words, it means I think vector is careful with her words. That's what it says about her.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:47 pm »

Perfectly valid answers, as for the fear tactic?  No I use it more as a pressure/aggressive move to judge a players reactions under stress.  Not always is the fear tactic I sometimes use directed to the person I'm talking to, it makes a useful lure for potential bandwagoners too.
Nom nom nom

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 04, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »

it makes a useful lure for potential bandwagoners too.

Making yourself a target is generally a poor strategy.

Because what if it you do it too well????

Then you're fucked.

Whether you do it poorly or well, it has a high chance of backfiring, because, well shit, you're making yourself a target.

It only really works against players without much experience anyways, because if you pull that trick on a player with a lot of experience they know enough about the game to argue themselves out of it and utterly destroy you in the process. And there are a lot of ways to catch inexperienced players, many of which aren't risky. As a new player I'd advise going for safer options.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 04, 2011, 08:05:34 pm »

I don't think you understood what I was talking about Jim, I meant more like lay on the fear to another player, not myself.  Like pull up everything I can find on them, attack, call them scum, without actually having committed to lynching them yet, until I can see their responses.  Thus they fear being lynched, try and talk their way out of it, let me see how they react.  That way if someone else jumps on the person I am attacking, without having any real idea of their own as to why, then they make my next target since they jumped at the chance of having someone to lynch.  So I'm not making myself a target, I'm making the person I am attacking a target to lure band wagoners onto them.  either way it's not something I would do past day one, or in a talented group.  It's more to try and get untalented scum to try and buddy me by voting the person I'm attacking prematurely.
Nom nom nom

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 04, 2011, 08:50:14 pm »

Kilikan So, you use scum tactics to find out who the scum is? Your plan seems to describe an endless cycle of accusing someone of scum, then jumping on the person who agree's with you.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 04, 2011, 10:54:03 pm »

I don't think you understood what I was talking about Jim, I meant more like lay on the fear to another player, not myself.  Like pull up everything I can find on them, attack, call them scum, without actually having committed to lynching them yet, until I can see their responses.  Thus they fear being lynched, try and talk their way out of it, let me see how they react.  That way if someone else jumps on the person I am attacking, without having any real idea of their own as to why, then they make my next target since they jumped at the chance of having someone to lynch.  So I'm not making myself a target, I'm making the person I am attacking a target to lure band wagoners onto them.  either way it's not something I would do past day one, or in a talented group.  It's more to try and get untalented scum to try and buddy me by voting the person I'm attacking prematurely.

Gotcha.

If you want to lure bandwagoners you're going to have to lay into somebody a lot harder than you are right now. You're more just putting pressure on him.

I don't think much of luring bandwagoners as a strategy either. Untalented scum will bandwagon of their own accord without you building an unnecessarily hostile case on somebody, and you run into trouble because you're attacking somebody disingenuously, and being disingenuous even if you're town and trying to scum hunt is always playing with fire. Additionally, you might catch untalented scum doing something like that, but you'll catch untalented town just as frequently. (To be fair, you'll catch untalented town for a lot of stuff, but at least you're not lynching them because they agreed with your case and didn't know better.)

You should just make a good, strong case against somebody you actually suspect and press people about their suspicions instead. You'll get roughly the same results, without all the hassle of people giving you crap for making and pressing a case you didn't actually believe.

Blah blah Jim Groovester's Mafia Theory blah blah get back to hunting.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:08 pm »

Happy Fourth, everybuby!
Nothing is happening again...
breadbocks: What is your opinion of Powder?
- Powder Miner: There's too little there for me to judge from. Def needs to post more.
Please. Prove me wrong; that you aren't scum. And you know how you do that? By actually scumhunting.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 05, 2011, 01:30:30 am »

Powder Miner: Where are you?
breadbocks: You haven't answered my question. Why didn't you continue scumhunting after you placed your vote on UltraValican?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 05, 2011, 03:11:55 am »

Prove me wrong; that you aren't scum. And you know how you do that? By actually scumhunting.
Alright, scum hunting, eh?
Breadbocks: Let's go over this again. Post voting for Ultra, did you find any other reasons to think he was scum, and if so, what were they?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 05, 2011, 04:25:40 pm »

It's good that all of you got so much mileage out of that extension.

Deadline's tonight. Make up your minds.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 05, 2011, 04:31:39 pm »

30 minutes left, to be exact. Hurry up!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 05, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »

Whiteboard

breadbocks -2- bdthemag, Max White
Powder Miner -2- think0028, Vector

Max White -1- breadbocks
bdthemag -1- kilakan

not voting: Powder Miner

If the votes don't change there will be no lynch!

1 more to extend, 4 to shorten, no hammer!

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 05, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »

Unvote, vote breadbocks. I still suspect breadbocks for my reasons earlier, and his failure to respond to my questions.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 05, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »

And extend.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 05, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »

Day got extended until in 24 hours and 25 minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37