Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXIV - Return of the vanilla! And then there were none...  (Read 108295 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

I'd Neutral if I weren't being the tofu of mafia (Get it? Because I'm a substitute?) But, my suggestion is that the Neutral help out the Mafia and the Town.

Tofu isn't just a substitute thingus, yanno. :V

Yeah, I agree on the dual-factions point here. I think the mafia suffered a bit in previous games from not having a dedicated Scum IC, and though this isn't quite there, it's a step on the way.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

For some reason, the expert players seem to take more interest in these than the newbies...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

For some reason, the expert players seem to take more interest in these than the newbies...
You must understand the culture of the Mafia subforum. We here are interested in "propects." We have our own... families, let's say, and we're all looking at how the newbies play and then we fight over the pickings, starting minor feuds and occasionally killing everyone. Then, we indite our choices into our families.

We classify our players like that. I think if we decided to typify players, there would be different ways:

There's the Org way of playing, which is to say you basically say things that are put directly through Babelfish several times and then vote whoever makes the least amount of sense to vote. Basically, you use the power of illogic to win games, and it, illogically, works.

There's the Toaster way of playing, which is the normal ask lots of questions style of play. These players look for things that are "wrong" with an answer to find scum, and it has mixed results. It definitely is the most recommended way to play, as you don't act like a complete moron, but you also don't take a lot of risks, which isn't a bad thing.

There's the Vector way of playing, where you use aggressive action to find scum. It involves a lot more risks and tends to have a lot more follies, but if used correctly, destroys a lot of other ways of playing.

There's the newbie way of playing, where you play super defensively. It has a lot of follies, in that you worry too much about how you play yourself that you pay no attention to how anyone else plays.

There's the dakarian way of playing, where you post ridiculously long Walls of Texts that hardly anyone reads. It tends to be very analytical, but while it tends to be more right, it has less ability to convince others.

There is no webadict manner of playing, since I basically do whatever I feel like. Whenever I feel like. Because I'm webadict! And this method fails for anyone else that tries to use it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Plus, we're losing players and we hate it.  We want fresh blood!

(Complimented that I'm now archetypal.  Too bad I'm actually bad at my own type! [Don't tell anyone, but I'm not great at finding scum.])
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

~Snip
Well, I guess I'm going to get conscripted into the Org family, for my total lack of coherent reasoning?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Not if you join this game.

(You should join this game. I think you could stand to benefit from some nannying from the experienced players on the board.)
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Well I'm up for being indoctrinated into the cult of who ever shows the most interest.  :P
Anyway, I joined this game before this game was even posted.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Doirp.

That was a stupid mistake to make.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's posts like these that are why I love this forum.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

What, you mean a closely knit group of people split into chapters based on styles of intellectual combat, screening new blood for technique, and battling it out in brutal closed arenas, created and mediated by members of this group? Yea, it sounds pretty cool.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's the Vector way of playing, where you use aggressive action to find scum. It involves a lot more risks and tends to have a lot more follies, but if used correctly, destroys a lot of other ways of playing.

... <3

Posting to watch, and potentially to IC.  I have to get caught up in Paranormal first, which means getting caught up in some other stuff first, like tonight's housing search.  But, ah, we'll see.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

There's the Org way of playing, which is to say you basically say things that are put directly through Babelfish several times and then vote whoever makes the least amount of sense to vote. Basically, you use the power of illogic to win games, and it, illogically, works.

There's the Toaster way of playing, which is the normal ask lots of questions style of play. These players look for things that are "wrong" with an answer to find scum, and it has mixed results. It definitely is the most recommended way to play, as you don't act like a complete moron, but you also don't take a lot of risks, which isn't a bad thing.

There's the newbie way of playing, where you play super defensively. It has a lot of follies, in that you worry too much about how you play yourself that you pay no attention to how anyone else plays.

There's the dakarian way of playing, where you post ridiculously long Walls of Texts that hardly anyone reads. It tends to be very analytical, but while it tends to be more right, it has less ability to convince others.

There is no webadict manner of playing, since I basically do whatever I feel like. Whenever I feel like. Because I'm webadict! And this method fails for anyone else that tries to use it.
So we've got House Derp, House Playing Mafia, House Rage, House Noobscum, House Textwall, and The Prince of Assholes.

I think we need more playing styles. :-\

Also, in as an IC. Preferably playing, but I'll fill anything we need.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

The issue with a single neutral IC is that it's hard to be a good impartial town IC if you know who the scum are.  I'd suggest either making said person a scum IC or making a nonplaying IC for both sides... but then you have four ICs and that's just way too many.

Alternatively, have a volunteer scum IC, who goes and scum ICs if neither of the playing ICs are scum.  Said person would obviously have to keep his/her mouth shut in the thread.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

So we've got House Derp, House Playing Mafia, House Rage, House Noobscum, House Textwall, and The Prince of Assholes.

I think we need more playing styles. :-\
There's also my style, where I just try to shake things up.  :P
Also, in as an IC. Preferably playing, but I'll fill anything we need.
OK.

The issue with a single neutral IC is that it's hard to be a good impartial town IC if you know who the scum are.  I'd suggest either making said person a scum IC or making a nonplaying IC for both sides... but then you have four ICs and that's just way too many.
Yeah.... dunno.
Alternatively, have a volunteer scum IC, who goes and scum ICs if neither of the playing ICs are scum.  Said person would obviously have to keep his/her mouth shut in the thread.
But that would obviously mean that one of the other IC's were scum if they didn't join, or that the other IC's weren't scum. Er... I'll just make one Town and one Scum IC I guess... i dunno...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

But that would obviously mean that one of the other IC's were scum if they didn't join, or that the other IC's weren't scum. Er... I'll just make one Town and one Scum IC I guess... i dunno...

That's why they say nothing in main thread and aren't listed as having joined.

Also, you can't do that.  Then you just lynch an IC D1.  If he's town, lynch the other.  If scum, other is confirmed townie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37