Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs IN SPACE! (Dwarf-themed Orbiter mod - help and suggestions wanted!)  (Read 3473 times)

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello, everyone!

After reading about "space ships" in the DF wiki and finding bluephoenix' Orbiter thread I've been thinking about making a not-totally-realistic, dwarf themed space ship mod for Orbiter.
I was thinking of a more modern "space plane" that's relatively easy to fly (something like the delta glider for those of you who have played Orbiter before) but somewhat "dwarfy" in appearance. The other things would be some kind of rocket which would basically look like a stack of barrels with fins and a capsule on top.
Besides the the appearance, most systems would also have silly, dwarfy names: Right now there's the "HyperBooze thrusters", "Thermonuclear C.A.T. thrusters", "Bin-O-Lignite" solid-fuel booster and the MAGMA reactor. Of course, there will be a self-destruct mechanism as well. Since Orbiter isn't a combat-oriented simulator, magma cannons will probably have to wait... :-\

On the technical side, I'm planning to do the programming and some 2D graphics like the 2D cockpit myself.

Current Status (June 27th 2011):
I've finished the 3D model myself and programmed some basic things so you can fly the "Skyboat". See my latest update post for some screenshots.

If you are interested in helping or just have some ideas how to make a spaceship "dwarfy", please post here.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs IN SPACE! (Dwarf-themed Orbiter mod)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »

How exactly are these models structured? Do they use bones, or something else far more insidious? I know my way around blender(kinda), but what can you tell me?

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:40:48 pm »

You know, make it look like a giant beverage barrel, wood and iron etc.
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:47 am »

How exactly are these models structured? Do they use bones, or something else far more insidious? I know my way around blender(kinda), but what can you tell me?
Robsoie has posted a model for this in the Orbiter thread I linked to above. I've never used Blender or any other 3D modeling software before, so I can't tell you how exactly it works. Pretty much all I know right now is how to export the models from Blender using a plugin and how to make it work with Robsoie's files.
I've already requested some changes to the basic shape. After I get the important things to work the next steps would be animating the landing gear and nose cone and finally texturing the model.
If Robsoie wants/has to do things other than working on that model sometime, you may still help with that if you want to.
Robsoie said he doesn't have any more time for this, so it would definitely be good if anyone could help with that.

You know, make it look like a giant beverage barrel, wood and iron etc.
Well, I had pretty much the same idea with my design: I wanted it to look basically like a beer barrel with a cone on top, but fully made out of metal. But maybe there can be a version that is painted to look like a wooden barrel. Aside from some small modifications like adding a landing gear, the model in the Orbiter thread already shows the shape pretty well.
edit: I've decided to try to go with the original "tailsitter" only design, which will use the fins as landing gear.

So while the basic shape is already pretty much set, ideas for "dwarfy" gimmicks that don't alter the 3D model of the base vessel (too much) are still welcome. If you have any ideas for add-ons like the "lignite bin" booster or other dwarven space stuff, you can also post them here, but remember that the basic "dwarf shuttle" has the higher priority right now.

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:41:22 am »

Engravings on it
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs IN SPACE! (Dwarf-themed Orbiter mod - suggestions wanted!)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 05:38:26 am »

So, the 3D-modeling, physical properties and thruster placement are done, so you can finally fly the "Skyboat". Also I've added a new surface base at Silverdale, Washington, which is where Toady lives, as far as I could tell. (Correct me if I'm wrong)...

I've uploaded some more screen shots to my Orbiter-Forum gallery here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/album.php?albumid=578

If somebody wants to be a "test pilot" at this point, I may upload the rocket at Orbit Hangar.

Next will be designing the cockpit panels and maybe testing out some textures. If anyone has ideas for cockpit controls and gauges that are "dwarfy" or would be useful, please post them here or at the Orbiter-Forum.