Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Game option (not just save profile) BEFORE Embarking  (Read 807 times)

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save Game option (not just save profile) BEFORE Embarking
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:39:16 pm »

This has happened to me numerous times now:
I spend a good amount of time finding the perfect location to embark, set up my dwarves and my embark inventory only to hit embark and have DF crash or lock up. Very frustrating because as far as I can tell you lose everything and have to start from scratch if this happens. This has all been with version 31.25.

My suggestion is to have a save game option (not just a save profile) before you embark. This way, if DF crashes you did not just lose all that pre-embark work!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Save Game option (not just save profile) BEFORE Embarking
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:30 am »

You can save your embark setup.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:43:58 am »

You mean, have an initial save when you start the fort? YourDFfolder/Data/Init/d_init.txt is your friend.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »

I think he means you can save the state of the game at the embark screen with your location and profile already selected, that way if your game crashes upon loading your perfect location you can just restore the save and not have to go and find it on the map again.

Would be a useful feature
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »

Not only that, but I've found that the "Save Embark Profile" function is not really all that useful, even though I tend to embark roughly the same starting kit every time.  This is because the stats/traits/etc of your starting 7 dwarves are randomized every time, and I'm a bit more careful about which jobs I assign to each dwarf based on their stats/traits.

Mainly I try to find a male (and thus not potentially baby-wielding) dwarf with good strength/agility for my starting military dwarf.

I also try to find a dwarf with high creativity/imagination for my mason/engraver, etc.

So yeah, even though we already have the ability to save embark profiles, and you can change the init settings to auto-save upon embark, it would be nice to be able to save before actually embarking.

--nomad_delta

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:56:25 pm »

Yes, that is what i mean. Like I was saying, I know you can save the embark profile, but the location and dwarves are different. It is a pain to spend all that time finding the perfect spot assigning the right dwarf to the job he is best suited for and picking my gear to take along only to crash after clicking embark. I'm not sure the save on embark in the ini file will work since it can crash before u ever actually go to the location. So yes, a save the state of the game before I click that embark option would be nice or at least a way to recover what you just lost if you never make it to landfall. I don't do anything crazy, use a medium world no advanced setting changes but it just has the chance to crash more than i care for.

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:57:31 pm »

I can see how this feature might be useful to some. For me it won't typically crash on embark unless there's something making the embark really really show, such as multiple reclaims. Sometimes it does manage to autosave before crashing, sometimes not. Be nice if you could at least flag a good site for later, especially on big worlds.

As for random traits, over the years I've taken to not spending any embark points at all on skills, and spending it all on items and equipment. This is for two reasons: 1> dwarves will rapidly learn whatever skills they need simply by training them, and 2> I always get sieged fairly early and the first 7 dwarves don't often live that long. Migrants and training will cover your skill needs, but some items are necessary and irreplacable.

Edit: mind you, fixing the bug that makes it crash might be a better request ;p.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:18:11 am by nitus »