Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: a reason I thought of against "better" graphics  (Read 6613 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a reason I thought of against "better" graphics
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »

Matters of computing power aside I thought of the single biggest reason Df can't ever have "modern" graphics. Or at least nothing better than sprites and isometric view.

If the game were to be rendered into full 3d "modern graphics" a problem of size of things becomes a big issue.

For example a dwarf digs a mine shaft that probably isn't much taller than the dwarf, how the fuck are you supposed to show a dragon or anything else large like that invading your tunnels?

I just thought I'd share.

Your thoughts?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: a reason I thought of against "better" graphics
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »

Dwarven Nudity.  Until the clotheswearing bug is fixed, I refuse to support any attempt at "graphics".

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:14:30 pm »

I've always thought of DF world and creatures as a higher dimension constructs, to explain away the space-taking issues of quantum dump, the bizarre physics of water reactors and ability to stack critters to heaven in one tile.

And that's not mentioning bizarre combat reports of being able to latch by teeth, into someone else's teeth  :D

I like 2D view as is, because it makes the most sense, considering the bizarreness of such things, and you don't have to figure out how the hell to represent those.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:17:06 pm »

You might have thought it would be impossible to show a mountain-sized dragon inside a tunnel in just 2 dimensions, but Toady did it anyway, like the magnificent programming beast he is.

I've always thought of DF world and creatures as a higher dimension constructs, to explain away the space-taking issues of quantum dump, the bizarre physics of water reactors and ability to stack critters to heaven in one tile.
Ooh, that's a thought. Maybe each z-level is in fact a different 3-dimensional plane of existence (hence the ability to store infinite items in it - they just expand into the third dimension) which manifests itself in 2 dimensions and is therefore able to stack with others to form the 4-dimensional world we play in.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:22:19 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Bartok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:12:40 pm »

Dwarven Nudity.  Until the clotheswearing bug is fixed, I refuse to support any attempt at "graphics".

Ah, so that's why my manager/trader showed up to trade in the buff...

Yeah, unless the beards are full and long enough to cover the essentials, we're better off without fancy graphics :)

Eric

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:16:47 pm »

There isn't anything inherently wrong with the game having a modern graphics engine, aside from two things:

1) Modding may be more difficult, as with modding you would have to create full 3d animated models rather than just a sprite.

2) How do you display multiple Z levels? See Evil Genius for a very DF like game, including insane minions and excessively complicated traps. The game was in full 3d with modern graphics, however there was only a single Z level to play on. I can't think of a better way to display a 3d game except for in 2d slices. Ironically a game with 3d graphics would turn into a 2d game.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 02:21:28 pm »

The only reason I need against stronger graphics is that it would slow down the game's development cycle, which is simply not worth it. Everything else is gravy.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 02:30:51 pm »

The *horror*!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

Well, I was thinking that I don't want DF to have 3D graphics because of an incident that occurred in a glacier fort once:
This was in 40d, and I decided to embark on a sinister glacier just for fun. I brought along a single male kitten to deal with any vermin problems. A few minutes in, I got the message "Stray Cat has been Struck Down." I looked over, and apparently it had somehow exploded into its component parts from the cold. There was a large pile of organs including, I kid you not, a cat mouth, a pancreas, a heart, all of its pieces had separated.
Since it was in tile graphics, I just laughed and continued playing. If that was in fully rendered 3d I would have been completely mortified.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 02:53:09 pm »

I like the current ASCII for the same reaosn i prefer books over films - I like to use my imagination. Especially when it concerns a dog swinging an elephant around by its guts.
This is a blank sig.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 02:58:45 pm »

And that's not mentioning bizarre combat reports of being able to latch by teeth, into someone else's teeth  :D

All points of absurdity aside, have you ever seen dogs fight?  They will sometimes go bite vs bite and actually lock jaws.

Admittedly this would be a bit more difficult for dwarves, if they have jaws shaped like human jaws, lol.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 03:01:19 pm »

somehow exploded into its component parts from the cold
I want to build a cold powered trap now, that will somehow freeze enemies and make them explode.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 03:10:17 pm »

somehow exploded into its component parts from the cold
I want to build a cold powered trap now, that will somehow freeze enemies and make them explode.

Can anything actually generate cold?  I'm vaguely remembering that one of the wood types in 3rd layer caverns can - is it enough cold to cause damage or freeze water?  If so, can you make a retracting bridge out of that wood, then fill the area with water and have it freeze, then retract the bridge and have the ice melt and drop the goblinite into a cavern below?  heh.

I might have to experiment with bridge freezing in a glacier game I'll have a turn for soon.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 03:12:12 pm »

Nether-Cap has a stable temperature the same as water freezing, but it will not freeze water.  There's no way to convey cold temperature that I'm aware of.  A bottom-temperature item will be immune to heat damage, but will be unable to impress its coldness upon anything.  I could be mistaken, but I'm certain that a nether-cap pump or barrel or bucket will not freeze water.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 03:34:32 pm »

Matters of computing power aside I thought of the single biggest reason Df can't ever have "modern" graphics. Or at least nothing better than sprites and isometric view.

If the game were to be rendered into full 3d "modern graphics" a problem of size of things becomes a big issue.

For example a dwarf digs a mine shaft that probably isn't much taller than the dwarf, how the fuck are you supposed to show a dragon or anything else large like that invading your tunnels?

I just thought I'd share.

Your thoughts?

I think the solution to that is scale dwarves down a lot.  A dragon will fill one "block" completely and a dwarf would appear small within a "block".
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!
Pages: [1] 2 3