Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: a reason I thought of against "better" graphics  (Read 6612 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: a reason I thought of against "better" graphics
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »

Why would a dwarf dig out a tunnel several hundred times bigger than himself?

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »

I have no idea..  Have to make room for the Dragons somehow though.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

CerealGuns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 03:56:38 pm »

Creating art of all the countless types of Forgotten Beast would probably be nearly impossible in any upgraded graphics version.  I'd much rather stick with a near infinite number of ascii beasts than a smaller number of beasts with actual graphics.
Wielder of Mothtundra
Slayer of Ostrur the Acrid Abyssal Nettles
Duke of Channelravens

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 03:58:57 pm »

Creating art of all the countless types of Forgotten Beast would probably be nearly impossible in any upgraded graphics version.  I'd much rather stick with a near infinite number of ascii beasts than a smaller number of beasts with actual graphics.

Yeah, it would have to be Spore-esque creatures.. the sheer number of possibilities would make static models almost impossible.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »

You must have room for the engravings!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 04:39:45 pm »

I rather like ASCII graphics. Somehow, DF isn't the same even with a mere graphics pack. DF with 3D graphics? Heck no.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 04:55:47 pm »

I rather like ASCII graphics. Somehow, DF isn't the same even with a mere graphics pack. DF with 3D graphics? Heck no.
DF with 3D graphics?
without thinking it through, it sounds great.
then you think of the size problems.
then the kittencide
then the gore
then the *gulp* ELEPHANTS!!!
all those in 3D would make even the hardest of DF souls retch/vomit and instantly go off DF.

So to save us all from this fate we need the ASCII? I can get with that.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 05:25:23 pm »

Nether-Cap has a stable temperature the same as water freezing, but it will not freeze water.  There's no way to convey cold temperature that I'm aware of.  A bottom-temperature item will be immune to heat damage, but will be unable to impress its coldness upon anything.  I could be mistaken, but I'm certain that a nether-cap pump or barrel or bucket will not freeze water.

I just remembered that I have nether-caps in my fort so I cut one down and threw it in a pond.

Nothing happened to the pond and then I checked the nether-cap .. it had "water covering" .. not ice.  Though I'm not sure if that means anything, except it doesn't insta-freeze water you put it in.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Jetriot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »

I am not good with modding but I do know genesis uses Ice/Fire/Acid mephits that change the temperature around them. If I keep an ice mephit around water it freezes it(or kills anything close to it for too long). So I am sure a trap item could be modded in the same way.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »

I am not good with modding but I do know genesis uses Ice/Fire/Acid mephits that change the temperature around them. If I keep an ice mephit around water it freezes it(or kills anything close to it for too long). So I am sure a trap item could be modded in the same way.

Heh, yes, I saw a post a few days back where a dwarf carrying an ice mephic in a cage through knee deep water froze into a dwarfsicle, then when the ice melted the mephit was still alive.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 09:46:17 pm »

The size issue doesn't bother me. I can deal with too-small dragons or pigmy elephants. I think of graphics more ala neverwinter nights than Oblivion, which would have simple containers for "dead" parts in the shape of a lying down creature.

What bothers me would be the HUGE effort to make all the extra parts. Every creature would need to be modeled, textured, and given a size. There would suddenly need to be collision detection and animation that requires trigonometry. To accommodate something like forgotten beasts, something akin to Spore's creature creator would be needed to make them non-standard. WAY too much effort, which quickly translates into FAR less cool things added to the world. I like cool things more than pretty graphics.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:04 pm »

There need not be any fancy collision or anything.  Go back old school, dude.  DF is on a grid, and creatures reside in squares.  One creature performs a generic "hack" animation and the target creature takes damage.  Even now, there's few games that actually have fancy collision detection, in favor of a more generic hit-box and whatnot.  Mechwarrior strikes me as one of the few games with dynamic damage areas.

Also, since the majority of FB are based on a creature (it is an enormous firefly) the random generation wouldn't be that hard.  Remember, "Better graphics" doesn't mean "best graphics".  It only has to compare with a 90's rpg to be better than ASCII.

That being said, I enjoy it more as it is now, and wouldn't have any fancy graphics added.  Just don't think there's only one way to improve the graphics.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 09:55:23 pm »

I could see a 3D DF, but it wouldn't be the current version.  It would likely have to be a separate game modified to fit the 3D world following critical elements.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 04:00:25 am »

The same reason Imps do.

Mugros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:31 am »

Matters of computing power aside I thought of the single biggest reason Df can't ever have "modern" graphics. Or at least nothing better than sprites and isometric view.

If the game were to be rendered into full 3d "modern graphics" a problem of size of things becomes a big issue.

For example a dwarf digs a mine shaft that probably isn't much taller than the dwarf, how the fuck are you supposed to show a dragon or anything else large like that invading your tunnels?
You mean "single worst reason"?
There is no issue. Have you never seen a 3D game with models of different sizes? Actually the advantage of 3D is that you can scale things easily and still see everything in detail or as overview by only changing the viewport. With tiles you can't make a dwarf the proper size compared to a dragon, because it would only be one or two pixels on average sized tilesets.
And anyway, why is having a dwarf and a dragon the same size ok in 2D, but not ok in 3D?

And what are you implying by "Matters of computing power aside"? Please consider that a game like Dungeon Keeper (which i consider as a good start of what a DF3D could look like) is from 1997! Any current PC should be able to run simple 3D graphics good enough for DF. If you have a very old PC you might not be able to run the current DF anyway, because you will have 2fps on an 1x1 embark with 10 dwarfs.

Some general remarks:
- Does DF need 3D? No.
3D is not always better than 2D and a tile-based game like DF works perfectly fine with 2D.

- Would DF benefit from 3D? Yes.
Because the simulated world is 3D, using 3D graphics just feels naturally. But, because its not a shooter, you need mainly the overview. But this is not a problem with 3D at all. Even the multiple z-levels are no problem, just keep the z-level indicator and cut everything off over the current level.
A great possibility of 3D is that you could have an overview to manage things and seamlessly to a first person view. Just imagine looking at your fortress in 3D in game while the dwarfs are working.

- Is 3D harder to program than 2D? Yes.
Right now DF is pseudo ascii anyway and already uses accelerated graphics. Still 3D takes things to a new dimension, literally. I reckon that Toady is good at programming game logic, but he isn't a 3D programmer. This is actually the biggest reason against 3D. If you do it, do it right.

- Can the 2D mode be improved? Yes.
Like i said, Toady is not a 3D programmer. Well, i don't think he is a good graphics programmer at all (or UI programmer). The 2D mode is sufficient but leaves a lot to be desired. There could be colored meters/indicators for dwarf status (drink/food/health). Indicators on workshops could show cluttering or workload or that it's claimed by a moody dwarf. Stockpiles could show usage. Overlays could be added to see what areas indicate negative/positive thoughts.
Even though the game is mainly tile-based doesn't mean that everything has to stay this way. Using tiles for the interface is already a bad choice.
If Toady would eventually risk the step to improve the 2D graphics mode there would be endless possibilities to improve the game. But i guess that would mean that he has to find someone who can actually program a proper 2D engine and UI.
Pages: 1 [2] 3