Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17248 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »

Please focus on people who have real policies and might have a chance to implement them.
So, nobody... well, nobody but the most popular in the two respective parties...  Nobody with respectable policies outside the party lines is going to get elected, and if they do nothing will happen because they are outside party lines.

Unless of course you mean someone who's policy is to do nothing, gets popular vote and plans to veto everything.  Then, I guess they don't have to be a party puppet in the show.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »

There are a lot of people who really need to grow up and learn to ignore the puppet show. Bachman is a gibbering idiot and everyone, including her staff, knows that. She will not run for president, and if the Republican party wanted to throw the race or something and select her, it would be because they know she will not win.

Well, she is officially running, and there's no doubt she'd qualify to be on the ballot in every state.  She spending a lot of money on staff too, so she doesn't exactly expect them to just stand around looking good.  I wouldn't put too much stock in polling or anything though, up until actual primary votes start.  Nobody else remember that Donald Trump was leading every Republican opinion poll with like 40% favorability, right up the one plank of his fake candidacy became outmoded?  Or as everybody, especially Tim Pawlenty and Newt Gingrich like to remind everyone, John McCain was buried in polls around this time by Rudy Giuliani.

By the way, Michele Bachmann keeps making enemies, and now she's racking up some heavy hitters, like Tom Petty.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2011, 05:04:50 pm »

This is tangential, but now I wonder how many politicians actually respect copyright laws with regards to their campaigns. Particularly politicians who are supposedly supporters of stronger anti-infringement rules; I'm not sure how many of those mentioned in the above-linked article fit under that category, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:05 pm »

Stop being Petty, Tom.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 29, 2011, 06:26:39 am »

Maybe Bachman-Turner Overdrive would be more sympathetic. And they have so many apropros choices:

"Takin' Care of Business" (really, fitting for most politicians with a pro-corporate record)
"My Wheels Won't Turn" (I don't think the wheels ever really turn in Bachmann's head)
"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" (and we'll continue to see lots of nothing)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2011, 09:17:15 am »

Stop being Petty, Tom.

Public performance of a copyrighted work without a license is serious business. In fact, if there were at least 10 recordings of that rally in existence, it is a felony with a potential sentence of 5 years in prison and $250000 in fines.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:19:27 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:21 am »

...it is a felony with a potential sentence of 5 years in prison and $250000 in fines.
If only.  It would be nice to have a public representative have to suffer through the same laws as "Joe Smith."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:41 pm »

irregardless

irregardless

irregardless

Gaaaah!

"Regardless" or "Irrespective". Please pick one, and leave the poor English language out of this!

Ok, continue.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »

"Regardless" or "Irrespective". Please pick one, and leave the poor English language out of this!
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Give it time.  The English language is not static. ;)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 30, 2011, 02:02:06 am »

(For the record, I saw that, and cringed too.)

Speaking as one who also cringes when people incorrectly (IMO) use the word "decimate" as anything other than "to remove/lose ten percent"[1][2], I really wish some bits of it were.

[1] Definitely not "remove/lose all but ten percent" or even "annihilate", as it's often used.  On the definition accessible via that Merriam Webster site, the conflict is meanings one and two vs meaning three.

[2] And I'm open to it being "around 10%", given that most ringleaders/commanders in the legions were often executed anyway and then a ballot of usually 1 in 10 was made with the ordinary men.  But some form of loss well within an order of magnitude of the proportion after which the word was named, you know?

[edit: "executed executed"?  Ah, was probably across edit-window line-boundaries.  Corrected.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:24:36 am by Starver »

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 30, 2011, 02:11:50 am »

Quote from: That thing you posted
Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Even if you treated it as if it were a word, "ir-" is a negation, so the definition would be "not without regard." Which is the exact opposite of how it's generally used. Which is probably why it's so hated.

>_>
<_<

*runs back into the shadows*

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2011, 06:06:45 am »

Personally I don't care.  I have a recent love how some people hate the word though and will make dramatic posts over it.  (Recent being within the past 8 hours...)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 30, 2011, 06:13:55 am »

I love the word 'inflammable', and its opposite 'ininflammable' (correct, means something that can't catch fire) and 'flammable' (technically incorrect but a lifesaver as it's common and least ambiguous of the three).
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2011, 06:20:58 am »

I love the word 'inflammable', and its opposite 'ininflammable' (correct, means something that can't catch fire) and 'flammable' (technically incorrect but a lifesaver as it's common and least ambiguous of the three).
Actually 'in' means that it can, not the negative 'ir' but yeah, I never liked inflammable because it's seems redundant.  I will not, however, make a dramatic post about it. ;)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2011, 06:30:22 am »

Actually 'in' means that it can, not the negative 'ir' but yeah, I never liked inflammable because it's seems redundant.  I will not, however, make a dramatic post about it. ;)

Yeah, that's my point. 'i-' prefixes usually indicate negation and 'flammable' sounds like a sensible word. Furthermore, the language has constantly evolved, I think it's about time they made 'flammable' official and created another word for 'ininflammable' so there would be zero chance of confusion.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28