Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17322 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #285 on: June 22, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »

Us Americans need a Libertarian Party that actually matters. As for who to vote for, at this point the only option I see is Ron Paul. I don't agree with everything he says, but if you do the research he makes sense and is consistent on a lot of major issues. I can't vote for Obama because he's continued to infringe upon American citizen's rights by extending the Patriot act. Again. And I just can't vote for just about any of the Republican candidates besides Paul because of the massive amount of bullshit and hypocrisy that surrounds them. Give me a name and I'll start.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2011, 07:04:37 pm »

Ah. I get your meaning now. But still, you don't seem to be American because Civil Rights here is not just about race anymore.
I was born in Hawaii, so yes... just like Obama, I am.

If the link would have pointed to a civil rights page instead of an article on segregation, it may have made more sense.  They aren't making laws that state stores need to place signs stating they don't serve gays.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »

No, instead some bureaucrat with an agenda decides to give you your civil union that isn't recognized across state lines, isn't recognized by insurance companies, medical professions, adoption, custody disputes or many other things.

Separate But Equal was how the South legally continued to discriminate against blacks, just the same way Civil Unions are a way some states can still legally discriminate against homosexual couples if they choose to.

I wasn't sure. Some of the things you were saying made it seem like you didn't have a good grasp of American history.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 22, 2011, 07:08:02 pm »

A lot of people STILL need to understand that yes, Hawaii is in the opposite direction of Africa, and yes, Hawaii is a state.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:21:26 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »

No, instead some bureaucrat with an agenda decides to give you your civil union that isn't recognized across state lines, isn't recognized by insurance companies, medical professions, adoption, custody disputes or many other things.

Separate But Equal was how the South legally continued to discriminate against blacks, just the same way Civil Unions are a way some states can still legally discriminate against homosexual couples if they choose to.

I wasn't sure. Some of the things you were saying made it seem like you didn't have a good grasp of American history.
I have a grasp, but I still don't associate the two.  They feel like separate matters to me.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:21 pm »

If gay people and married people have two different kinds of unions, insurance companies can treat them differently.  States can make different laws for civil unions and marriages, wheras if gay people could marry they'd have to be explicitly anti-gay (which would probably be struck down as unconstitutional).

In the same way that black schools got lower funding and a worse standard of education in practise, and it was totally fine since it was targeting schools rather than black people directly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:43 pm »

Yeah, we've each explained it about three times now. I'm not sure what else to say.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2011, 04:26:58 am »

I vote we ban marriage for everybody
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2011, 07:47:23 am »

Yeah, we've each explained it about three times now. I'm not sure what else to say.
Separate but Equal was basically the federal stating that they are equal people, but you had to put up a sign stating that you only serve a certain crowd.  As I said earlier, there's no federal mandate stating that you can union, but companies have to put up signs stating they will only serve straight people.

Civil Rights is a broader aspect of that and includes gay rights and is in no way related to "Separate but Equal" laws of the past.  The government has not come in and said: "Gays have equal rights as straight people in our minds, but if stores do not want to serve their kind they must post a sign."  They're basically ignoring the issue which is in some ways worse.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2011, 07:59:01 am »

Separate but Equal was basically the federal stating that they are equal people, but you had to put up a sign stating that you only serve a certain crowd.  As I said earlier, there's no federal mandate stating that you can union, but companies have to put up signs stating they will only serve straight people.
No, no, no. Seperate But Equal was a federal mandate stating that equal rights were considered preserved even if segregated, as long as facilities for whites and facilities for everyone else were equal in status, if seperated. This is never how it turned out in reality.

Supporting Civil Unions instead of Same-Sex Marriage is a very similar stance. In wording, Civil Unions are intended to have all the same rights as Marriage, but seperated from it. This is not how it will turn out in reality.

History repeats, are you seeing the parallel yet?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:02:12 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:46 am »

Nope, totally different issues... The civil union issue as I see it is the federal government not recognizing State civil unions where you say (ie: Seperate but Equal) they recognize it but treat it differently.

EG:  In Separate but Equal, the federal government recognized minorities as equals where the Marriage vs. Civil Union they do not.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:31:37 am by Andir »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2011, 08:32:52 am »

I don't know how to make this any more apparent, so I give up on trying to explain this.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2011, 08:39:42 am »

They are simply two different issues.  I don't see why you need to equate Separate but Equal to gay marriage.  The issue is more akin to concealed carry permits than Separate but Equal.  The federal government allows gun carry, but will not observe concealed carry permits from states just as they allow gay marriage but do not recognize state permits to union.

If the federal government changed their stance to say "We recognize state civil unions on a federal level and consider them separate but equal to marriage but we will allow the states to treat them differently," then you have a correlation.  However, they are not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:40 am »

If the federal government changed their stance to say "We recognize state civil unions on a federal level and consider them separate but equal to marriage but we will allow the states to treat them differently," then you have a correlation.  However, they are not.
And that is exactly what is going to happen if people support Civil Unions instead of Same-Sex Marriage.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2011, 08:56:48 am »

Sure, but we are not to that point yet.

Ideally, you should be arguing that the point of a union (gay and straight) has been accepted in all 50 states and it should become a federally regulated process opposed to a federally recognized process.  More ideally, quit treating marriage as something special.  Something I could argue is that marriage in itself is an issue where someone who is single, while having the equal rights of someone married, is treated differently by that association only by being denied access to tax deductions, insurance rates, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28