Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17418 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2011, 02:15:19 pm »

People, I specifically asked for recommendations for GOOD third party candidates!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2011, 02:16:44 pm »

People, I specifically asked for recommendations for GOOD third party candidates!

I'm voting Green Party, if there's someone running it that's not scary or an idiot this election.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2011, 02:23:45 pm »

I have no problem with the Tea Party as an Economically Conservative movement, but the coat-tail members using it for something other than fiscal issues is where I draw the line.
I am behind economic conservatism on principle, in our various practices it is rather cutting of necessary social programmes while spending more on the military.

I would also like to say that I am a libertarian without getting funny looks from those that associate Bob Barr with Libertarianism.

How a "Libertarian" could conscientiously come up with DoMA, try to ban a religion in the military, vote for drug prohibition, and other such political gymnastics is beyond me.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2011, 02:27:17 pm »

This election cycle will be really, really bad. It will involve relentless attack adds, and huge, huge spending on all sides.

The presidential election is certain. Obama cannot loose. He personally strangled Osama with the American flag while sicking a swarm of trained freedom eagles on the rest of the Taliban.

However, the rest of the government is in flux and more likely than not, the republicans will sweep several layers of the structure.

However, I think it is important to say here that the difference between Republicans and Democrats is barely more than the color of their ties. Like the Spy in TF2.

In all seriousness, the fact of the matter is both sides benefit from maintaining the status quo while appearing to fight against it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »

You know... I can't help but feel a slight twinge of annoyance when people say "both sides are the same, wake up sheeple! You can't do anything to fight against the oppression inherent in the system!"

People who say that almost deserve to have received President Palin.

Think about that next time you think that voting doesn't do anything.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »

You know... I can't help but feel a slight twinge of annoyance when people say "both sides are the same, wake up sheeple! You can't do anything to fight against the oppression inherent in the system!"

I feel a slight twinge of annoyance just from hearing or reading the word "sheeple".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2011, 02:49:04 pm »

To be fair, politics often does feel that way.  If it didn't more people might actually vote.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2011, 02:51:59 pm »

I feel a slight twinge of annoyance just from hearing or reading the word "sheeple".
It's annoying even when used sarcastically and inserted with a monty python quote. Nice.

But yeah, even the implication that both(all) sides are the same or 'why bother you can't change anything anyway' is such a defeatist attitude and doesn't help anyone.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »

Oh, the word can be used funny, but I've heard it used in a stupid way so many times that my left cheek sort of deflates when I hear it used at all.

I even twinge from hearing it in the xkcd comic "sheeple", which is otherwise hilarious.

I personally just hope whoever gets elected isn't an idiot.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »

People who say that almost deserve to have received President Palin.

Think about that next time you think that voting doesn't do anything.

It's fear-mongering like that which democrats use to scare people into voting for them.

The only way to throw your vote away is to vote the way they expect you to. A vote for a democrat tells them that they are as liberal as they need to be. As soon as they start loosing support, they will do what they need to do to stay in office- which is get things done.

I don't even care if Palin wins, because it's hard to imagine her doing anything as president that Obama has not, aside from ovulating. Permit Torture? Expand the TSA? Open up oil drilling? Cower away from supporting unions? Stay in Iraq and Afghanistan and Pakistan and Libya and whatever new countries?

Democrats are the way they are because they don't have to be any better, and the only way to stop that is to tell them they aren't doing what we want, the only way we can.

I will vote for the green party because they are closest any group comes to agreeing with me. When and if a different party can enfranchise me, I will vote for them too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2011, 03:24:31 pm »

So, giving the Republicans an advantage by depriving the Democrats of votes will obviously show the Democrats that They're not Liberal enough, because the Conservatives are winning?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2011, 03:31:43 pm »

But yeah, even the implication that both(all) sides are the same or 'why bother you can't change anything anyway' is such a defeatist attitude and doesn't help anyone.

It's supposed to make you sound smarter than people who don't think everything is hopeless.  I once heard someone say watching the news was less meaningfully informative than watching Access Hollywood, "because you can choose where to spend your money in entertainment".

I don't even care if Palin wins, because it's hard to imagine her doing anything as president that Obama has not, aside from ovulating. Permit Torture? Expand the TSA? Open up oil drilling? Cower away from supporting unions? Stay in Iraq and Afghanistan and Pakistan and Libya and whatever new countries?

Democrats are the way they are because they don't have to be any better, and the only way to stop that is to tell them they aren't doing what we want, the only way we can.

"The people who are supposed to represent my interests aren't representing them to my satisfaction, so I'll vote for people who I know don't even come close to representing my interests and are proud of it."  Not the most convincing argument, I have to tell you.  Not to overtly pick sides or anything, but speaking of the Democrats, from my perspective:

The national Democratic Party promises whatever they promise and then govern as "Republican Lite", because thirty years of being kicked around in every election by the Grover Norquist's and Andrew Breitbart's of the world has turned them into a beaten dog, convinced they can't do anything to irritate the Republican-leaning side of low-information voters and business interests if they want to come anywhere close to power, no matter how much those spectrums of the electorate will continue to vote against them like clockwork.  If you want the Democratic party to start representing the interests they've been traditionally pegged with, go out and vote for them, to prove they don't have to worry about being losing their jobs for doing what you elected them for.

Don't get me wrong, it's a baffling dynamic, but "allowing" someone who you know doesn't come close to what you want to take power is not going to be better than the half-assed guy who said he would.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2011, 03:32:31 pm »

It's fear-mongering like that which democrats use to scare people into voting for them.

The only way to throw your vote away is to vote the way they expect you to. A vote for a democrat tells them that they are as liberal as they need to be. As soon as they start loosing support, they will do what they need to do to stay in office- which is get things done.

Really? Because I seem to recall the mid-terms results were taken to mean: "We must become MORE conservative! It's what America wants!"
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »

I think the largest flaw you are operating under, PTTG, and many other people as well, is that you're posting/acting as if voting is the only part of this whole democratic process you have a stake in.

Also, can't imagine that McCain or Palin would have done much of the same. ;)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2011, 03:37:17 pm »

Also, can't imagine that McCain or Palin would have done much of the same. ;)

Very first one was "Issued Presidential order to close Guantanamo Bay."  Not exactly batting a thousand.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28