Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17410 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2011, 01:25:40 pm »

Stop calling the other side of the political spectrum idiots and bigots.
I'm not calling the entire spectrum idiots and bigots. Quit getting mad over things that never happened.

Do me a favor though, start calling out the idiots and bigots running abound in the republican party. That's the issue and why I and many others have been steered from independent to moderate liberal democrat.

This part of your post is extremely confusing. Nikov says to stop calling one side (the other side) of the spectrum idiobigots, and you say that you're not calling the entire spectrum idiobigots, which is not what he said at all.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:39 pm »

What?! Everybody knows the Founding Fathers had a strong Christian faith and prescribed the American system of morality into the Constitution! Just look into the subtext and you can clearly see sodomites condemned by the framers!
Obviously, and if I'm to believe Glenn Beck:  Jefferson thought that way as well!

It speaks volumes for freedom of choice that they'd even put that Right in the Bill.  If they were strictly looking to enforce Christian faith the US Constitution would look more like some of the the States Constitutions where "belief in a higher power" would be required to hold office. (Yes, I know they are "blue laws" so we don't need to go there again.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:00 pm »

Blue laws are state and local for the most though aren't they?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:45 pm »

You insinuated everyone from the Republican leaders to the Tea Party members and pretty much anyone that doesn't agree with your position.  (edit: You didn't name names, so we assume you are referring to the entirety.  If you are going to pinpoint individuals, fine.  Just don't generalize.)
There's a difference between calling everyone an idiot and a bigot and saying the Republican Party is going down the drain because they're associated with idiots and bigots ;)

I am certainly not calling you and Nikov idiots, and I do respect your opinions. However, I do say it would be wise for you and the Republican Party to continue distancing themselves from others. The ludicrous idiots on the far right are drowning out people like Nikov :P

I do apologise if that miscommunication made it seem as though it was a personal attack.

This part of your post is extremely confusing. Nikov says to stop calling one side (the other side) of the spectrum idiobigots, and you say that you're not calling the entire spectrum idiobigots, which is not what he said at all.
Read into it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:33:41 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2011, 01:36:56 pm »

This is getting confusing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:45 pm »

Read into it.

Clearly, I'm still missing something.

This is getting confusing.

QFT.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »

Blue laws are state and local for the most though aren't they?
Yes.  That's why my comment followed the State remark.  They got accepted into the books, but they'll never hold up to the higher court.  I wish they could all be stricken from the record though.  It gives people (like Beck) [false] ideas to the intent of documents crafted in the same time frame.

Also, I'm not Republican.  I'm registered Libertarian, but I vote for the person that most defines my viewpoint even if it's not a Libertarian candidate.  I had tossed up registering Constitutional or Libertarian, but I fall more in line with freedom of overall choice and I think Constitutionalism is a bit narrow for my personal tastes.  Great for a Federal level mindset, but I don't just vote on the Federal level.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »

The Constitution Party is a reactionary group if I've ever seen one. Here are some of their stated policies:
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2011, 01:45:37 pm »

The Constitution Party is a reactionary group if I've ever seen one. Here are some of their stated policies:

They specifically state it's to restore the country to its Constitutional and Biblical foundations, but even if I was a bible thumper I bet you couldn't get me to agree with this.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:55:36 pm by freeformschooler »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2011, 01:53:34 pm »

Sounds like any European neo-nazi/extreme nationalist party, really.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2011, 01:56:20 pm »

It gives people (like Beck) [false] ideas to the intent of documents crafted in the same time frame.

To be fair, you can't make people understand how or why the laws function like they do. To me Blue Laws are still on the books down there because the States want them there, and that's their prerogative.

What's wrong is that people like Beck spuriously extend that to mean their laws represent some fundamental American value, because their constituents don't honestly give a damn what the difference between state and federal law is or why it exists (even as they scream about state's rights.) That's what's always pissed me off about some conservative view points, is that they demand to have their political bubble of whatever enshrined in state's rights, in the same breath as they try to legislate morality and policy on the national level for everyone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »

Well, the scary part about this is that the Republican Party and Constitution Party agree on many key issues.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »

Well, the Tea Party started off as an offshoot of the Constitution Party before being completely co-opted by outside influences and getting a great marketing pitch.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2011, 02:10:21 pm »

They specifically state it's to restore the country to its Constitutional and Biblical foundations, but even if I was a bible thumper I bet you couldn't get me to agree with this.
Well, the scary part about this is that the Republican Party and Constitution Party agree on many key issues.
Yeah, as an Atheist it's hard to back the Constitutionalists ;)  But there are battles you have to pick and I think generally limiting the Federal reach would be a good thing even though they have some very religious fundamental ideas as well.  It also helped me pick a more Libertarian stance (IE: the personal freedoms part of my above post.)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2011, 02:13:05 pm »

Well, the Tea Party started off as an offshoot of the Constitution Party before being completely co-opted by outside influences and getting a great marketing pitch.
I have no problem with the Tea Party as an Economically Conservative movement, but the coat-tail members using it for something other than fiscal issues is where I draw the line.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28