Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17339 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2011, 06:02:56 pm »

And this video is full of bullshit, too.

How did the Britannic empire turned his back to the principle who made him great? Or the Romain? Or even the Greeks?
Since when were the Romain one nation in any accepted sense of the world?

But the ultimate irony is that the would be economic victor are the Chinese... communists.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2011, 06:04:40 pm »

They, uh, taxed themselves into oblivion. Yes. That was it. There's only one cause of national problems in all of history, and it is overtaxation.  ::)

EDIT: Mocking the commercial, not the people who might for valid reasons believe that that is a cause of current economic problems. I disagree with you, but I'd prefer to have an actual debate about them.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2011, 06:05:25 pm »

OH, I had supposed that we were discussing actual footage from an actual classroom. That is what I meant by “truthful”; I meant that the video was of a genuine professor. I suppose I was expecting too much from political propaganda.

Yes, this video would not appear to be much more than shallow propaganda, but I leave it to someone else to decide how racist it is; I am not certain.

Educate yourself.

If I were inclined to profanity, I imagine I would make a rather more colorful reply to your arrogant command. Most of my education has been performed by myself, and I persist in educating myself, and I need not your assistance. I was in error to defend something I had not seen, but I care not for your insinuations. In truth, this is part of the means by which I educate myself; I post my views in public places that I might have them examined by dissimilar minds so as to better discover error.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »

To be precise, it was not directly (ueed in the "opposed to indirectly" sense) racist as much as it was nationalistic. Not that it's much better, and there's always undercurrents of racism in the nationalistic waters anyway.

But yeah, to pull a blatant Godwin, if somebody can't see how fear-mongering and hate-propagating is wrong, or how that ad applies as such, then that person badly needs to revisit early 20th century history.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2011, 06:11:53 pm »

If I were inclined to profanity, I imagine I would make a rather more colorful reply to your arrogant command. Most of my education has been performed by myself, and I persist in educating myself, and I need not your assistance. I was in error to defend something I had not seen, but I care not for your insinuations. In truth, this is part of the means by which I educate myself; I post my views in public places that I might have them examined by dissimilar minds so as to better discover error.

Maybe you should spend less time getting offended at my choice of words, and more time remembering to do a little research before you dive in to defend something. (If you'd prefaced early with "I haven't seen it", it would have been linked already.)

I didn't mean to be condescending. When people tell me they don't know X, I always link something with the words "educate yourself." It's a message to do the intellectual leg work instead of arriving at your conclusions based on what we're saying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2011, 06:18:15 pm »

It is snarky and condescending, though. Much better and more respectful to just say "do the research before you start arguing for something" and/or just giving them the link.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2011, 06:21:21 pm »

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »

Now, here I am, typing up this scathing reply, and you have to go and be all polite and apologize. What am I supposed to do with it now? What a waste of good sarcastic rhetoric. Bah, anyway, I apologize for not watching the video before defending it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2011, 06:25:51 pm »

They, uh, taxed themselves into oblivion. Yes. That was it. There's only one cause of national problems in all of history, and it is overtaxation.  ::)

Better than the folks who think feminism caused the fall of Rome.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2011, 06:28:17 pm »

Wait, what. And here I thought I was well-acquainted with fractured ceramics.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »

So wait, it wasn't ancient aliens threatened by Roman concrete?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2011, 06:32:19 pm »

Apologies all around? On a political debate on the internet?

Awww, thanks for reminding me why I bother to post on bay12. :)

That's totally non-sarcastic too.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2011, 06:38:21 pm »

(http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4d30c7baccd1d5bc6f160000/graph.jpg)

Woohoo.  The US owes us money as well...  (Is that 3.4% for the UK?  The colours are[edit]n't[/edit] brilliant, but appears to be.[1])

I know we'd finally paid off our own lend-lease/wartime debts in 2006, but never thought they'd be owing us so much (somewhere between $189,868m and $461,108m[3][4], it appears).

I tried a bit more research about the UK's various international debts, as comparison but it was hard to avoiding either the BNP's website page on this subject.  Even avoiding that, the Taxpayer's Alliance Debt Clock and several suspiciously-similar web-pages only give the (rolling, estimated) total current debts.  And obviously with the target agenda in mind.

[1] To be sure, I checked out the first Google item with the relevant search words and the value is 1.4%, with no indication of being a different date...  The JFIF artefacts[2] make UK and Brazil practically the same colour in the key...  But if the key-order relates to the various arcs in the sequence given, it should be that.

[2] Should have been .PNG format.  Even .GIF, with a good palette choice.

[3] I'm allergic to the US Billion (thousand million) but understand that the traditional UK Billion (million million) wouldn't be understood, and besides which isn't any good for this value, so I'll use high multiple millions in this text.

[4] ...and the variation is likely due to currency fluctuations, as much as anything.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:43:38 pm by Starver »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2011, 06:39:59 pm »

That... What? It has no sense! No sense at all!

I would almost ask for a link, but I'm afraid what I will find would be rage-indusingly stupid rather than the hilariously stupid it sounds like when you sum it up.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2011, 07:02:55 pm »

Wait, what. And here I thought I was well-acquainted with fractured ceramics.

That... What? It has no sense! No sense at all!

I would almost ask for a link, but I'm afraid what I will find would be rage-indusingly stupid rather than the hilariously stupid it sounds like when you sum it up.

Remember that "Nice Guys Forum" I was reading all the nasty quotations from?  They had some of that there.

Also, read the comments on this comic strip.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28