Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17309 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »

What, like Coolidge did?

Hey, if that's what Coolidge actually did, I'm all for it.  My history class basically spent two minutes talking about him.

"We'll cut education while spending more on prisons than we do educating our youth and keep funding two wars"

Of course, Obama...

"Two?  Dammit, I hate even numbers!  Let's have five!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2011, 05:01:30 pm »

I don't know why it even matters, I mean you guys are so far into debt with china, chances are they are just going to claim ownership of your country to cover the debt and send a CEO over to rule you guys...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2011, 05:02:27 pm »

I guess what I dislike the most is people bitching that we can't do anything about it and then sitting back and when everything goes to shit around them and their lives are shit they sit around smugly saying, "I told you so".

Oh, and then they riot- or veg around watching the telly or surfing the internets.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to do something.  In fact, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I have to do something, but I don't know what can be done.

*sigh*

Time to make a new reading list.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »

I don't know why it even matters, I mean you guys are so far into debt with china, chances are they are just going to claim ownership of your country to cover the debt and send a CEO over to rule you guys...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You laugh, but one of the commericials playing on TV recently, for a Conservative candidate, was a Chinese Professor telling his futuristic Chinese class how debt helped them defeat America. And then the whole class laughs soullessly about it.

Because in America, casual racism is just good politics.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2011, 05:10:03 pm »

I do not see the racism in that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

I do not see the racism in that.

It had a very "yellow terror," "fear the Asians!  Fear them!" feel to it.  Something about how the video was designed, and the words used.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2011, 05:11:34 pm »

THE CHINESE ARE EVIL AND WANT TO TAKE OVER YOUR COUNTRY

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2011, 05:11:49 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to do something.  In fact, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I have to do something, but I don't know what can be done.
You start small. You start with improving your own life and acting in such a way that inspires others to live responsibly and accordingly, and then move on up.

If you have any free time: volunteer in your community, at local non-profits, be altruistic, learn to give and not expect in return, find a way to live giving more than you take.

Live in each moment, doing the best you can. Maybe one day you'll find yourself President as well ;) But do that and I guarantee you years down the road it won't be here on the internet sitting around wondering what you could have done or complaining how everything is so shitty and that we have no power to change anything.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2011, 05:12:03 pm »

See, conservatives are racist. So if they run an ad, you look at it sideways, and it sort of seems racist, its racist, thus further demonstrating how racist conservatives are.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2011, 05:13:25 pm »

I suppose if you regard the European Union as a federacy (although... that's possible quite doubtful), then the leader of that isn't directly elected by the people of Europe.

The European commission is by far the most potent organism in Europe
I'm sorry, this thread is interesting and I'm always willing to learn more about politics, but I need to take a break because I read that as 'most potent orgasm' and I need time to stop giggling.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2011, 05:15:57 pm »

I suppose if you regard the European Union as a federacy (although... that's possible quite doubtful), then the leader of that isn't directly elected by the people of Europe.

The European commission is by far the most potent organism in Europe
I'm sorry, this thread is interesting and I'm always willing to learn more about politics, but I need to take a break because I read that as 'most potent orgasm' and I need time to stop giggling.
That seems to happen when a politician starts talking about it. That, or he looks like a prude virgin that just witnessed a BDSM session.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2011, 05:18:26 pm »

You start small. You start with improving your own life and acting in such a way that inspires others to live responsibly and accordingly, and then move on up.

If you have any free time: volunteer in your community, at local non-profits, be altruistic, learn to give and not expect in return, find a way to live giving more than you take.

Live in each moment, doing the best you can. Maybe one day you'll find yourself President as well ;) But do that and I guarantee you years down the road it won't be here on the internet sitting around wondering what you could have done or complaining how everything is so shitty and that we have no power to change anything.

Working on it.  Actually, my priority right now is my health and finding somewhere new to live, because those are making it hard for me to do other stuff right now.  But, thank you for the suggestions.

See, conservatives are racist. So if they run an ad, you look at it sideways, and it sort of seems racist, its racist, thus further demonstrating how racist conservatives are.

That particular ad had a very, very bad feel to it.

However, I do not by any means believe it was sufficient to condemn any more than that one candidate as racist/fearmongering with tactics that seemed primarily racial.  The sloooooow pan over the Chinese audience, all dressed similarly with similar haircuts, etc., laughing in a very mechanical way, was basically what set the alarm bells off.

Similarly, when I say "Republicans" I generally mean "The figureheads of that party in this point in history," which I should probably be clearer on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »

Because it was impossible to make the point we're in trouble economically without using the Chinese as bogeymen to do it, ya?

Maybe viewing it frontally is related to why horses wear blinders.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2011, 05:21:04 pm »

It couldn't be as simple as the conservatives having made a racist ad. That would be absurd.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28