Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17256 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 03:52:29 pm »

I dislike the Mormon Church's corporate structure and outlook. And I'd honestly worry about Romney putting his faith about what's best for the country.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 03:53:51 pm »

I dislike the Mormon Church's corporate structure and outlook.
I dislike the blatent racism, myself.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »

You see, Huckabee's an intelligent guy. I don't agree with him politically, but I have to admit he genuinely believes in his faith, is a likable guy, and is intelligent.

Remember when Donald Trump was actually looking like a possible frontrunner? And then Obama brutally ripped him a new one with the timing of his birth certificate release, the Press Correspondents dinner, and killing of Bin Laden?

Huckabee saw all of that and decided, fuck it, he will save his chances for 2016.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:29 pm »

You see, Huckabee's an intelligent guy. I don't agree with him politically, but I have to admit he genuinely believes in his faith, is a likable guy, and is intelligent.

Only likable in a charismatic sense. If you see enough of the evil crap he believes in, it becomes impossible to regard him with anything but loathing. And that's only the stuff he lets out by accident.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »

I continue to endorse Mitch Daniels as the ideal Republican canidate. Any time he cares to go back into the race, I'll be ranting and raving on here. Until then I'm pretty divided. I hope Herman Cain runs strong and Trump stays off the ballot. Romney being a Mormon never really struck me as a problem so much as a risk he's just not a strong conservative in my view. And I do not want Zombie FDR. Obama's basically been repeating the New Deal playbook to, well, the same results as last time. I'd rather have a Calvin Coolidge.

And can I note every church has a corporate structure? The Vatican is incorporated. Its been that way for centuries.

Rush Limbaugh commented on the radio this morning that we shouldn't despair over 'weak' canidates. Elmer Fudd would be better than Obama, after all. This promted a family car discussion about which Looney Toons characters would be better or worse than Obama, and we basically decided Yosimite Sam and Buggs Bunny were the least desirable while the coyote would spend to much on defense but Speedy Gonzales wasn't legal to run. Sadly this meant Daffy Duck, who's a megalomaniac, or Elmer Fudd again. With Fudd we'd never catch a terrorist (but nobody would ever get hurt either way) and with Daffy Duck there's a good risk of him ranting off on the mic.

Your thoughts?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »

I dislike the Mormon Church's corporate structure and outlook.
I dislike the blatent racism, myself.

I'm being fairly generous. At one point I had an opportunity to listen to several closed meetings of Church Elders in Salt Lake. While they all seemed like generally nice people, they talked a lot about their global plans for the Mormon Church and it left me feeling distinctly unsettled.

And that's the "light" side of Mormonism.

And can I note every church has a corporate structure? The Vatican is incorporated. Its been that way for centuries.

So noted. To me the Mormon Church seems to place a higher premium on business saavy and planning though.

Your thoughts?

Marvin the Martian seems pretty in-line with conservative thinking :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:14:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 04:13:20 pm »

Coolidge, huh?  Isn't he famous for basically being a do-nothing president?  Sort of like Rutherford B. Hayes?

As long as we don't end up with a damn Hoover =/  I'd almost take Kennedy at this point, but I seem to remember a hell of a lot of misogyny going on.

So far I'm not liking what Daniels did as governor, either.

*sigh*

As I read elsewhere, Obama comes off like a good prosperity president, but he was the wrong guy for the times.  We need someone to pull us through.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2011, 04:19:15 pm »

Honestly, I think Obama is doing a pretty good job for the cards he's been given. I think that history will shine pretty well on his presidency thus far and poorly on those that have opposed him like say... the Teabaggers.

Rush is a bad joke and not even worth mentioning besides this. Mitch Daniels and Herman Cain? You're more conservative than I thought Nikov, but at least you have morals. I respect that.

Your thoughts?
Handmade Anti-Obama Sign Currently Frontrunner For Republican Presidential Nomination

The sign, which pundits say is nothing short of a GOP "dream candidate."

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2011, 04:22:26 pm »

The problem is that obama has the cards he was given. No president can truly survive a recession, unless the republicans do something batshit insane or an independent candidate doesn't show up if the republicans are doing something batshit insane.

Herman Cain has business ideals, which is good, but he has no political experience, which means he could never get anything passed. Also he says stupid things.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »

Y'know, I'm really not sure who I'll vote for.
Probably Ron Paul for the lulz.
All I know is if I don't say I voted Obama, I'll be lynched by my family. :b

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2011, 04:28:35 pm »

Aren't you 16, Ein... ?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »

The problem is that obama has the cards he was given. No president can truly survive a recession, unless the republicans do something batshit insane or an independent candidate doesn't show up if the republicans are doing something batshit insane.

While that is true, the Republicans have in fact been acting slightly batshit insane. Rather than pushing away crazy like the Democrats have done with Code Pink, Greenpeace, and Democratic Underground-type organisations, the Republicans have attempted to embrace the Tea Party, and it's rather looking to hurt them.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/12/3692351/racist-cartoon-of-obama-forces.html

Not a winning long-term strategy, especially with their treatment of women, hispanics, and other minorities. They are becoming more and more a party of angry, old, white men.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2011, 04:30:28 pm »

Aren't you 16, Ein... ?

I'll be 18 in time for elections.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2011, 04:32:36 pm »

I'll be 18 in time for elections.

Ah, okay.  Sorry for the weird question.

They are becoming more and more a party of angry, old, white men.

This.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2011, 04:33:14 pm »

Coolidge was a do-nothing President who taxed little, spent less, paid off a quarter of the federal debt and let state governments handle their own laws and regulations in the traditional Federalist way. That is, he didn't stop people from doing things. In fact he made it clear if they wanted something done they had to do it themselves, so they did. Hello roaring twenties.

Guys, can we stop with the 'I see one racist in the tea party, all republicans are batshit insane' crap? We've been down this road and it goes nowhere we haven't seen before.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28