Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17233 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #345 on: June 23, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »

I know that you are making a fallacious argument and you accidentally labelled it as fallacious.

It's still fallacious unless you can justify why one thing leads on to another in that way.
You've never been around kids... or adults for that matter.  "Why does he get that and I don't?"  As soon as you start giving special rights to a specific group, other groups start wanting that too.  (ie: gay marriage...  If there was no benefit to marriage, do you think we'd even be discussing this?)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 23, 2011, 03:12:55 pm »

During the Bush era, I really felt like Franken was there to just be one voice in Congress going "this cannot stand." And I appreciated that, because it seemed like he was the only one willing to be disliked in order to stand against Bush's monolithic control of Congress.

But now it seems like he's just falling in line and has become, for lack of a better term, a fat cat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 23, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »

So the fact that some adults are like whiny little children means we can't help anyone?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »

So the fact that some adults are like whiny little children means we can't help anyone?
No, if you are going to help someone, help everyone.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »

What you seem to not understand is that many groups are already being "helped" by society.

Hence things like hiring quotas.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2011, 03:22:30 pm »

And when that's mathematically impossible, as it essentially always is?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

Then there's only one solution.  It begins with an S, ends in Y and rhymes with Starry.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2011, 03:47:22 pm »

Then there's only one solution.  It begins with an S, ends in Y and rhymes with Starry.
Shoot Larry?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »

Singularity, pronounced badly?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2011, 03:56:41 pm »

I generally like Franken, but he is ass backwards on intellectual property. But he aint my rep.

I am still pissed that Florida elected a Lex Luthor wanna be as governor last time around.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 23, 2011, 09:01:19 pm »

Okay, I'm definitely gonna drop the marriage subject know, because there's obviously no reasoning with metalSlime since his arguments do not actually make any sense.

So be it.

Anyone here in New England and have an opinion about regional reps/candidates?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2011, 06:52:06 am »

Isn't Franken the guy who wrote Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell them?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2011, 09:35:21 am »

Yes, yes he is. He can now start on his next book "The Zombie Congressmen and the Lobbyists who buy them."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »

You've never been around kids... or adults for that matter.  "Why does he get that and I don't?"  As soon as you start giving special rights to a specific group, other groups start wanting that too.  (ie: gay marriage...  If there was no benefit to marriage, do you think we'd even be discussing this?)
As soon as you start giving special rights to a specific group, other groups start wanting that too.  (ie: gay marriage

I wasn't aware marriage was a "special right".

Your use of the word "right" though is telling, since marriage appears to be a fundamental societal contract. So tell me, if we grant marriage to all consenting, loving adults - that specific group of "gays" - then what other group are we as a society forced to give marriage rights to?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 24, 2011, 02:38:45 pm »

I think the implication is that gays just "fake" marriage for the tax break. That's the only possible argument against it that's ever made sense to me, even if it is incredibly cynical.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28