Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Drinking thread: Why yes I fancy organic lavender whitetea with my Irish whiskey  (Read 20658 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking thread: What we don't have one?
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2011, 08:45:16 pm »

I go to a local pub that has free wifi for my internet.

I order of pitcher of crappy domestic draft (I have very prole tastes in food and alcohol) and use the internet on my laptop.

Its good times.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »

In response to the mention of antioxidants, the memory of my biology professor compelled me to try recreating his pitying, disappointed rant about the mass media antioxidant gimick. However, to support myself equally I would need to find the scientific journals (or textbooks) he had read through to become so emphatic about the matter, and it's beginning to look like that will take days of searching, where I only have a few more minutes.
Quote from: A summary from memory; it might just be accurate.
It began with one mention in a scientific journal about the possible positive effects of extra (e.i. not produced by your body) anti-oxidants, where a few people doing casual research took it out of context and started talking about such things (as the word covers a fairly broad group of biological chemicals) as though they were magic health enhancers. Some advertisers got a hold of this idea (with the most popular psuedo-explanations), and seeing its success among those who had heard it, decided to put it into full production. So they looked at the list of comestibles that were known to already contain antioxidants, then made sure to plaster all the appropriate containers with "Full of Antioxidants!" stickers and broadcast the best-sounding psuedo-explanations to their consumers. Sadly, the internet tells me that this belief is still going after it caught on, and will probably keep going for the forseeable future. {Of course, if people believe that such things have magic powers of energy production, the belief power should at least do them some good.}
 The important bits here are that; your body already produces its own brand of antioxidants, it just makes more when it doesn't have enough, and you'll just be pissing out any surplus in a few hours anyway. You should focus on having the balanced diet right for you, rather than putting unreasonable weight on foods labeled with "contains antioxidants!"; you can't avoid antioxidants if you're eating a balanced diet.

On the subject of alcoholic beverages, I have never had any to my knowledge, and I never intend to have any. I don't want to find out what happens if I get drunk unless I have at least four clear headed people to restrain me, readily availible water, and baking soda. (I'll light enough and sick enough that even small amounts should pack a punch.)

Yeah, there are potential health benefits to "antioxidants", but nowhere near the breadth and depth of effect that people trying to sell you shit would have you believe. I believe the red wine thing is decently supported, though, for one reason or another.

And yeah, vinegar is great. There was some really good balsamic vinegar of modena at a friend's house a few months ago. I smelled it, tasted it, and wanted to hide it somewhere in my coat and bring it home with me. It was damn good.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:18 pm »

I remember I had a set of oil and balsamic vinegar. It was awesome to dip bread in, but I ended up running out of oil before I ran out of vinegar, and just the straight vinegar was way too much for me. Great on fries, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »

I have no idea where vinegar-on-fries is popular on the large scale, but it is around here (Rhode Island). I'll use basically any kind. Apple cider vinegar is pretty good too.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2011, 08:59:04 pm »

I love the taste of vinegar. I used to take straight vinegar, mix it with water and drink it like a soda when I was a kid, like a Roman.

Still the best thing to dress a salad with.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2011, 09:00:47 pm »

I have no idea where vinegar-on-fries is popular on the large scale, but it is around here (Rhode Island). I'll use basically any kind. Apple cider vinegar is pretty good too.
I'm in North Carolina, but the vinegar-on-fries wasn't my idea, I discovered it from Five Guys. I'd eat there more often if not for the fact that their food emanates heart attack.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2011, 01:10:36 am »

Good wine vinegar is amazing if you use it to cook.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2011, 01:15:45 am »

Okay. My curiosity is too much. Excuse me if this was answered before.

Why would a monk get seriously drunk?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2011, 01:30:46 am »

The same reason he's juggling some flaming object in his avatar. Kael is clearly someone who lives for danger, or at least in danger somewhat regularly.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2011, 01:44:31 am »

Okay. My curiosity is too much. Excuse me if this was answered before.

Ex-monk. Non-monk does non-monk things, including sarcasm. News at 11.

;)

The serious answer is that I have my own sense of my path in life and dealing with the purpose I've given myself. The Buddha would rather we find our own way through direct experience than blindly following a set of arbitrary rules.

Danger is my middle name, it's also my middle middle name, and my middle middle middle name.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:00 am »

I'm still a minor (god-damnit), but when I'm old enough and if I drink, I will never drink beer.
Seriously, I grew up with my dad drinking something like 5 12 pack cases in a month. That beer smelled like shit, looked like shit, and fucking tasted like shit the one time he actually got me so drink some. I didn't swallow.
Hard liquor for me, all the way.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2011, 01:55:57 am »

Try drinking quality beer, instead of the stuff people drink 12-packs of. I'm not a beer every day or even a beer every month kind of guy,  but there are times a good beer is awesome. I'd wait until you get seriously hammered as a legal adult before you swear to hard to liquor and nothing else.

If I had domestic beer I could get around the corner the quality of what Germans put in cans, I might be more into beer. But American domestics taste like piss water to me, and fancy beers I only want a few before I'm good. But German beers? Astra? I can drink that shit all night, still function and the inside of my mouth doesn't taste like an aluminum can.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2011, 01:59:39 am »

Well, yeah, but still. First impressions are very important.
However, the stuff he did get me to drink was apparently 'quality stuff', or so he put it. I don't exactly remember what it was, but I remember he said it was 'good'.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2011, 02:01:45 am »

He probably said it was "good" because it's all he ever drank.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2011, 02:06:37 am »

Or it was just his favorite. Most people like somthing that most others will find repulsive. I, for example, will dip cheese blocks into ketchup and saltine crackers into ranch dressing. Everyone tells me I'm batshit crazy to like that, but I do.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19