Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Drinking thread: Why yes I fancy organic lavender whitetea with my Irish whiskey  (Read 20648 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking thread: What we don't have one?
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:36 am »

Vinegar is fucking great. I love that stuff.

Yum. Here here.

A bit of malt vinegar, ain't nothing like it. Not too nice to drink in large quantities though, just a sip here and there or to flavour some chips.

On to more socially acceptable drinks, in no particular order:

Strawberry daiquiri (with wild strawberry liqeur)
White russian (made with chocolate ice cream)
Sailor Jerrys vanilla rum and coke
Cold Staropramen
Nice Cider (Stowford Press) not sweet cider (Magners).

Or an Old Fashioned made by someone who is willing to part with a shitload of bourbon and knows how to mix a drink.

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 07:55:59 am »

For me, any kind of beer, ale or cider produced in the region where I'm studying (Brittany) is fine (call me crazy, but seaweed beer is the best thing I've ever drank).

A lot of things in this thread sound nice to drink, but my stomach no longer tolerates any kind of strong alcohol since the Great Hangover of 2009.
Have a dwarven day.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 09:03:07 am »

Sonisphere in 2 weeks. Time to get some tesco value scotch.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2011, 01:12:09 pm »

In response to the mention of antioxidants, the memory of my biology professor compelled me to try recreating his pitying, disappointed rant about the mass media antioxidant gimick. However, to support myself equally I would need to find the scientific journals (or textbooks) he had read through to become so emphatic about the matter, and it's beginning to look like that will take days of searching, where I only have a few more minutes.
Quote from: A summary from memory; it might just be accurate.
It began with one mention in a scientific journal about the possible positive effects of extra (e.i. not produced by your body) anti-oxidants, where a few people doing casual research took it out of context and started talking about such things (as the word covers a fairly broad group of biological chemicals) as though they were magic health enhancers. Some advertisers got a hold of this idea (with the most popular psuedo-explanations), and seeing its success among those who had heard it, decided to put it into full production. So they looked at the list of comestibles that were known to already contain antioxidants, then made sure to plaster all the appropriate containers with "Full of Antioxidants!" stickers and broadcast the best-sounding psuedo-explanations to their consumers. Sadly, the internet tells me that this belief is still going after it caught on, and will probably keep going for the forseeable future. {Of course, if people believe that such things have magic powers of energy production, the belief power should at least do them some good.}
 The important bits here are that; your body already produces its own brand of antioxidants, it just makes more when it doesn't have enough, and you'll just be pissing out any surplus in a few hours anyway. You should focus on having the balanced diet right for you, rather than putting unreasonable weight on foods labeled with "contains antioxidants!"; you can't avoid antioxidants if you're eating a balanced diet.

On the subject of alcoholic beverages, I have never had any to my knowledge, and I never intend to have any. I don't want to find out what happens if I get drunk unless I have at least four clear headed people to restrain me, readily availible water, and baking soda. (I'll light enough and sick enough that even small amounts should pack a punch.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 02:25:46 pm »

I had my first cider today. It's been pretty much unknown around these parts until Sommersby moved into our market recently (how does this rank among ciders, BTW?). I quite liked it, seems to me like a better barbecue drink than beer (beer kinda kills the taste of meat). Only problem with it is that it's bloody expensive, costs twice as much as beer.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2011, 02:32:09 pm »

Did I post here? Whatever.

I like this wine my sister buys specifically for me, not too sure on the brand as she pours it into a big container for me so I can reseal it and stuff. It's really sweet and strong though, and has little to no burn. But I also like my roomies beer a lot, it's some Chinese brand called Tsing Tsao or something.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:59 pm »

But I also like my roomies beer a lot, it's some Chinese brand called Tsing Tsao or something.

I had a professor who mentioned TsingTao once, and said it was nasty.  Curious, I tried some, and it tasted exactly like every other German light draft beer, with a kinda weird aftertaste.

Then again, I only like ales anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2011, 02:41:40 pm »

I had my first cider today. It's been pretty much unknown around these parts until Sommersby moved into our market recently (how does this rank among ciders, BTW?). I quite liked it, seems to me like a better barbecue drink than beer (beer kinda kills the taste of meat). Only problem with it is that it's bloody expensive, costs twice as much as beer.

Swedish cider is better in my opinion. Somersby is OK if it's from a glass bottle.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 02:50:45 pm »

Real cider is a nice thing. I don't drink much of it, since it's normally around 6-7%, but it's good stuff. Also realised what difficulty I have with understanding non-drinkers - a lot of difficulty.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »

You're probably using the wrong beer then. In my experience the heavier doubly and tripply brewed beers go pretty well with meat. On the other hand, they're also in the same price range as a good cider.

Also I keep thinking the title of this thread says "what have we done?"

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 02:57:17 pm »

I drink lager with BBQ. Don't see point in drinking thick beers with meal since they're a meal on their own.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »

I generally drink lighter, crisper beer with barbecues - generally a good continental lager or the like, or a light golden ale. Obviously for Christmas Dinner it's red wine and Imperial Stout all over the joint. Imperial Stouts are like really thick soup.

Actually, speaking of Christmas, I like it when brewers make a special christmas brew. (Like Abbeydale's Last Rites, an 11-something%ABV barley wine. You could only get it in halfs. I bought two halfs, ho ho ho.)

Onto another topic, I was recently irritated by the disparity between a (puny undersized) American pint and a (manly proper) British Pint. One of the foreign beers on tap at a bar I go to was served in its proper glass, which happened to be an aforementioned yank pint pot. Not happy.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2011, 03:52:11 pm »

The truly British thing to do would have been to pour the drink down his shirt, shatter the glass on the bar-edge, and thrust the broken glass in to his face.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »

But I also like my roomies beer a lot, it's some Chinese brand called Tsing Tsao or something.

I had a professor who mentioned TsingTao once, and said it was nasty.  Curious, I tried some, and it tasted exactly like every other German light draft beer, with a kinda weird aftertaste.

Then again, I only like ales anyway.

Tsingtao is probably the best beer in China. Which tells you something about the state of beer in China. It's a decent, but not spectacular lager. Lagers are about all you would ever want to drink anywhere south of Harbin (i.e. 90% of China) because when the summer climate is like living in someone's armpit, a stout or a porter just doesn't keep well or go down well. A lot of cities in China have their own local breweries making knockoff lagers which are about 2-3% ABV. The only reason people drink so much of them is that they're safer than the local water and cheaper than bottled water.

Beijing has a pretty good local brand called Yanjing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:12 pm »

Two words: Bacon Vodka.

Although the kind I had was homemade and not commercial. it was....not unpleasant. I wouldn't drink it straight up, but I think you could make some damn tasty martinis with it.

I think I saw that on epic meal time, except they mixed eggnog, bacon grease, and jack Daniels.

My family's not a very drink-heavy one.

to wit: We obtained a bottle of maker's mark whiskey (As well as some other kinds) around christmas and We've only gotten halfway through it.

I'm to young to drink, though I did mix Pineapple rum with Iced Tea one time. It tasted pretty good.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19