Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Drinking thread: Why yes I fancy organic lavender whitetea with my Irish whiskey  (Read 20662 times)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking thread: What we don't have one?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 12:52:08 am »

I don't drink for some reason, so no real stories to share.  I will however say that those 3 links are just incredibly classy.  It's like my speakers are radiating amazingness.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:01 am »

I kind of find Ein's dolls cute. The ones on her avatar?

Dolls are love em or hate em.
They fall on a weird spot teetering on the edge of insanity the uncanny valley.
Unfortunately, as much as I would like to own one, the fancy silicone dolls I want are about 1000 USD. :<

Meanwhile, to stay on topic, rum.
Rum all the way.
Rum out of my silver shotglass from Heidelberg.
Rum out of a boring American glass shotglass.
Rum straight out of the bottle.
Rum mixed with salt water. Yarr!

I also almost tried gin once.
Moment it hit my lips, I did a spittake and dropped my shotglass, leaving my crotch soaked in booze.
Good thing nobody was home for the day (and the next few days, yay holidays!).

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 02:37:04 am »

This is the ambrosia of beers, my friends. Plus the signage is piratey, and who doesn't love being piratey?
One of my good friends swears by arrogant bastard ale and various microbreweries. I'm not too much of a beer and ale person. It has to be rich. I can't stand the cheap canned stuff. Might as well drink my own piss.

I don't drink for some reason, so no real stories to share.  I will however say that those 3 links are just incredibly classy.  It's like my speakers are radiating amazingness.
Isn't it? Because nothing says classy like a jazzy video game soundtrack... where a lawyer is you!

@Ein: Rum is great. I'm not sure if I prefer it to whiskey though. Speaking of things that are bad to drink... absinthe and moonshine. It'll fuck you up faster than you could say, "I hope this doesn't fuck me up!"

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 02:52:10 am »

This is the ambrosia of beers, my friends. Plus the signage is piratey, and who doesn't love being piratey?

Never tried Rogue, but I think I've seen it in the liquor stores. May have to check it out.

I vote this for the greatest beer I've ever tasted. It's thick, it's 6.5%, it's opaque black, and it has the aftertaste of blackberries. Probably can't find it most places, though. Currently drinking Keiths Red Amber Ale, because Cannery beers are damn expensive. Also partial to Faxe, the beer of Vikings.

I mostly only drink beer. Jager occasionally. Hard liquor is usually a bad decision, coming from a family history of alcoholics and low impulse control.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:56:04 am by kinseti »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 02:57:13 am »

Eh, I like absinthe.
Bit high in alcohol content, but whoa, fuck, what's happening to everything, whoooaaaaaaaa.
Doesn't help that I love anise.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 03:00:50 am »

Wait, isn't absinthe made from wormwood or something like that?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 03:01:31 am »

Wormwood, fennel, and anise.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 03:03:43 am »

I really like absinthe. It isn't a good thing, but meh.
Rum is good, whisky is good, vodka is baaad. Hate the taste of the stuff!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 03:57:28 am »

Arrogant Bastard was pretty good but it's semi-hard to find around here. That blackberry porter sounds amazing.

Any beer that comes in a can doesn't count. Except possibly Guinness and Harp.
+1 absinthe lover, though also a bit hard to come by.

I'd say if vodka left a bad first impression, try and get a shot of Belvedere or Grey Goose and see if that goes down better. Failing that, any of the flavors from Three Olives make decent mixers.

I tried to drink scotch... supposedly expensive, top shelf blah blah... it tasted like gutter water. Would not recommend. Likewise Tanqueray gin.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:41 am »

I'm not really a massive fan of drinking, but I like Heineken and Deuchars.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 04:02:54 am »

Beer... Yucky.
I go for rum and coke, or cider when going on a bar crawl.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:23 am »

I used to be a hard, hard drinker. I'm surprised I still have a liver. I started drinking beer at age 4 (thanks to my white trash mother) and was so depressed and raeg in middle school that I couldn't get to sleep without a nightcap of a double shot of whiskey on the rocks by age 12.

So you can imagine when I got to college, I damn near killed myself. My 18th birthday, I went to a Halloween party for a BBS I had been on a few months and was presented with a fifth of Jack Daniels as a present. I drank almost the entire bottle in under an hour. No mixer, no chaser, just chugging it straight from the bottle. Don't remember a hell of a lot after that. Apparently I started going into convulsions and several of the older people in attendance had to strip me naked and toss me in a tub of warm water to keep my body temperature up. Once I was past the "oh shit, is he going to die?" stage, they decided to get payback for their medical care by having everyone come in and write their BBS handles on various parts of my anatomy with indelible marker.

So I wake up the next morning and find myself naked and autographed in a strange room I've never been in before. Not a good way to start the day. Although certainly preferable to the alternative of not waking up at all.

The other good "too much booze = FUN" story was my batchelor's party, when I was 26. My bros showed up at my door with mini-bottles of scotch and whiskey and said, "One now, one later." So I chugged the scotch. We then went out for sushi and ordered a big $150 sushi boat for the whole table, along with a bottle of cold cream sake for me. There was apparently a bit of a communication problem and we wound up with two giant sushi boats. Much sushi was had by all, and not just tuna rolls. We're talking the full menu here...salmon roe, shrimp roe, sea urchin, eel, etc. Lots of various roes, in all different sorts of colors. As I'm drinking an entire bottle of sake.

Then we get back and the real drinking starts. I'm already pretty much drunk by this point, and suddenly I'm handed a yard glass which is promptly filled with beer. I kinda figured this was good, because I'd actually start sobering up a bit drinking nothing but beer. Little did I know that one of my fiendish close friends was periodically pouring tequila in there when I wasn't looking. And I was so shitfaced that I couldn't tell there was tequila present. Eventually, I excused myself and went into the bathroom, assumed the position and proceeded to hurl. When I looked into the toilet, my first thought was "Oh Jesus, what just broke inside of me??!!!?" Because it looked like I had vomited up a Jackson Pollock piece. There was red and orange and green and yellow...it was only after a very confused and freaked-out several seconds that I remembered what I had been eating earlier.

Eventually I wound up being the first person to go home from my own batchelor party(thank God my apt was within walking distance of my friend's apt where we were having the party). From the stories I've heard, it was probably a good thing.

So yeah.....been there, done that, somehow survived without cirrhosis or random children being spawned (that I know of). Now days, it's rare for me to do hard liquor. When I do, it's usually bourbon, single-malt scotch, good tequila or good vodka. I don't even drink that much beer, but I've become something of a connosieur. My favorite styles are hefeweizen (when the weather is warm) and Imperial Russian Stouts (when it's cold).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:03:01 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 07:13:38 am »

Most of my terrible drinking stories come from drinking contests. Always a stupid idea,

But as far as quality goes... Kung Fu Girl (wine) is really very very nice. Most Vodkas are decent, I enjoy Tequila, but Rum is just terrible. Bleeeeh. I also like anything sour, which has given me a reputation for enjoying "girly" drinks, but many midori sours and vodka sours... I could drink that stuff all night.

Beerwise, I do like Smithwicks and a bunch of microbrews.

Been on a diet lately though, so trying to avoid the drinky bits for now...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 07:23:02 am »

Meh, the whole deprecation of fruit-flavored (or grenadine-flavored) drinks is just something dumb perpetrated by the frat guys who think drinking Everclear is a sign of manhood.

My wife has made some Hurricanes that left you feeling perfectly fine until you tried to stand up and walk and discovered that it was going to be hours before you were sober again. And when we used to have an awesome little Cajun restaurant in town, I just couldn't have gumbo without a nice tall Planter's Punch. I'll drink amaretto sours and whiskey sours if I'm out on the town. Rum straight up is not that good -- too sweet. Rum as a mixer can be excellent though. One of my favorite drinks used to be this concoction I came up with in college that I called a "White Mongol" (a play on the White Russian):

1 part Gosling's Black Seal Rum (black rum is like fermented molasses--thick, dark and sweet)
2 parts irish cream
3 parts milk

The beauty of them is that they didn't have any kind of "burn" to the taste, but they still packed a punch since the black rum was 80 proof and the Irish cream was usually 30-40 proof. The taste was a little bit like a cold chai latte or a flavored milk.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 10:32:36 am »

Being a tired drunk is the most boring thing you will ever do; The plus side It lets me know when to stop, cause I sleep before I get ill.
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19