Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Jacos' Ultimate Badass Peasant Challenge!  (Read 5308 times)

mcshmeggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jacos' Ultimate Badass Peasant Challenge!
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:06:29 pm »

I saw this in a thread a while ago, and I thought it deserved its own thread. please participate!

Jacos' Ultimate Badass Peasant Challenge

1) You may not "grind" up skills. This includes repeatedly throwing useless objects at creatures, keeping creatures alive for long amounts of time to train your skills with them when you could kill them, etc.
2) You may have no companions at first. When you kill your first night creature spouse or bandit leader, you may have two companions, no soldiers. When you kill your first night creature, troll, or semi megabeast, you may have two companions, no soldiers. When you kill your first megabeast, strong (not made of any flimsy material) titan, megabeast, etc, you have have four companions, with one of them being a soldier. If you have raised social awareness to low, you may have one extra companion. If you have raised social awareness to below average, you have have two extra companions, with one of those extras being a soldier.
3) (Optional) If playing Genesis, dispose of all starting equipment, and craft your own, though you may still purchase equipment.
4) No selling useless items (dirt, sand, or otherwise grindable products), or otherwise grinding cash.
5) Have fun, but also Fun.
6) (Optional) Report kills of megabeasts and strong titans over here!
7) (Optional) Report deaths of all peasants who have titles, with a brief story about them.

Oh, and note: When trying to kill something for the first time, do NOT go for a bull!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:09:26 pm by mcshmeggy »

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
Re: Jacos Ultimate Badass Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:18:41 am »

Edit: Wrong thread. How did that happen?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:20:18 am by Flaming Toadstool »
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:18:00 am »

I would have liked it if you told me you were making this thread through PM first, but okay, I don't mind.

Oh, and it should be " Jacos' " not " Jacos ".
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

mcshmeggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:36:11 am »

I would have liked it if you told me you were making this thread through PM first, but okay, I don't mind.

Oh, and it should be " Jacos' " not " Jacos ".

very good then. fix'd

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jacos' Ultimate Badass Challenge!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:55:04 am »

How about "Jacos' Ultimate Badass Peasant Challenge"?

EDIT: I'm going to do a better ruleset.

Jacos' Ultimate Badass Peasant Challenge

1) You may not "grind" up skills. This includes repeatedly throwing useless objects at creatures, keeping creatures alive for long amounts of time to train your skills with them when you could kill them, etc.
2) You may have no companions at first. When you kill your first night creature spouse or bandit leader, you may have two companions, no soldiers. When you kill your first night creature, troll, or semi megabeast, you may have two companions, no soldiers. When you kill your first megabeast, strong (not made of any flimsy material) titan, megabeast, etc, you have have four companions, with one of them being a soldier. If you have raised social awareness to low, you may have one extra companion. If you have raised social awareness to below average, you have have two extra companions, with one of those extras being a soldier.
3) (Optional) If playing Genesis, dispose of all starting equipment, and craft your own, though you may still purchase equipment.
4) No selling useless items (dirt, sand, or otherwise grindable products), or otherwise grinding cash.
5) Have fun, but also Fun.
6) (Optional) Report kills of megabeasts and strong titans over here!
7) (Optional) Report deaths of all peasants who have titles, with a brief story about them.

Oh, and note: When trying to kill something for the first time, do NOT go for a bull!

Even if you DO jump out from behind a tree, it will not work. I'll probably go and murder a monkey next time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:45:25 am by Jacos »

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:13 pm »

You know, I think I'm going to do this. Wish me luck!
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »

And you have to be a kobold? I tried this challange with a kobold, everything very low... I managed to kill a groundhog by sharpening and throwing rocks, i made some gear and then i accidentaly ran into a giraffe and died
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:03:23 pm »

Add zombie elephants to the list of creatures not to attack right away.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 03:07:06 pm »

Add zombie elephants to the list of creatures not to attack right away.
And a duck...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I actually had to run away from a duck, I didn't manage to get a single hit on him.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:58:10 pm »

...Wow. Do you still have the combat report from that? That duck is one to watch out for. Wouldn't be surprised if he someday gets a name and a title.

He disabled your HEART?
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 05:24:28 pm »

I don't have the combat report anymore, but he bit me a few times in the upper body and on the last bite he bruised my heart and gave me a mortal wound. Him and a groundhog were the only two animals I managed to catch up to so far, and that's only because they stopped while I was chasing them for some reason. Everything is too goddamn fast.  :P
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Charismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 10:43:49 pm »

Giraffes and anything with hooves are bad ideas, too.i once had a demigod adventurer die to a giraffe in two hits. Log went something like this:

The Giraffe kicks You in the upper body with its front right hoof, crushing the lungs through the <<rope reed leather shirt>>
The Giraffe kicks You in the head with its front right hoof, tearing the brain, crushing the skull through the brain, and bruising the skin!
You have been struck down!

FFFFUUUUUUUUU-
Oh, and I also found a second continent, "The Released Syrup-Continents". It houses "The Finger of Silkness". I think I died a little inside.

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 07:16:11 am »

I don't have the combat report anymore,

Yes you do! Go to gamelog.txt in the dwarf fortress file. All combat logs are recorded there for all to see.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 08:43:09 am »

i tried this challenge too... managed to kill a grizzly bear (It ran after me but i could hide myself and sneak and lit couple of trees around him so he burned to death)

then i found a wolf, was elated that there was only one wolf so i thought that "yeah ok... a single wolf, they arent as bad as they were in 40d, i'll manage this"

damn that wolf was easy to kill. i barely got a scratch and i finally strangled it to death.
i used Genesis mod and i had thrown my starting equipment away and when i started to craft me some tools so i could make a backpack out of wolf skin, i noticed that there were 2 more wolves coming right at me and i couldnt do anything to them. they killed me in couple of moves.

'twas fun though, i'll propably try it again some other day :P

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:17 am »

Can the person who made this thread please update the rule set at the top of the page with my updated rules? Thanks.

Anybody managed to kill a notable creature yet? (bandit leader, (semi)megabeast, night creature(s spouse), etc)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4