Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The movie discussion thread.  (Read 6140 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: The movie discussion thread.
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2011, 07:03:10 am »

I plan to eventually watch this movie. I never actually get around to buying it though :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo-gGes6qig

Hah, its so ridiculous theres no way I can't be good.

It's so ridiculous there is no way it can't be good! If Yoshihiro Nishimura is involved, epic is assured.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2011, 07:35:11 am »

Grimshot: You'd probably like the stuff I posted if you like the Evil Dead stuff. I woulda mentioned that myself, but everyones already heard of it. i'll check out your trailer, but I'd have to remember how to log into youtube first.

Also some Lovecraftian Stuff (both directed by the same guy)

Re-Animator
From Beyond (i'm having trouble finding this on DVD anywhere, but it's awesome)

Why are most modern horror movies so boring by comparison. Sigh.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:44:04 am by Reelyanoob »

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2011, 07:52:27 am »

I plan to eventually watch this movie. I never actually get around to buying it though :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo-gGes6qig

Hah, its so ridiculous theres no way I can't be good.

It's so ridiculous there is no way it can't be good! If Yoshihiro Nishimura is involved, epic is assured.

I had a good night of drunkenly watching it, it is outstanding.
Thank you based dwarf.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2011, 08:00:24 am »

Grimshot: You'd probably like the stuff I posted if you like the Evil Dead stuff. I woulda mentioned that myself, but everyones already heard of it. i'll check out your trailer, but I'd have to remember how to log into youtube first.

Also some Lovecraftian Stuff (both directed by the same guy)

Re-Animator
From Beyond (i'm having trouble finding this on DVD anywhere, but it's awesome)

Why are most modern horror movies so boring by comparison. Sigh.

You're right. I'll have to try to buy those, they look pretty good. Also, I managed to find From Beyond on Amazon. Wish I had some spare money, I would go on a movie shopping binge lol.
My personality profile.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:57 am »

I'm going to plug "Dead Alive" again, that's the 1992 Zombie/comedy movie by the director of "Lord Of The Rings". Probably the slickest zombie flick ever made, it would be a good one to consider getting if you've got limited funds.

Vaguely in the vein of "Shaun Of The Dead", but Much, Much gorier (really amazing gore!! Unbelievable RIVERS of blood), darker humour, and I find it funnier too. It has much stronger acting, cinematics, love story, pathos, etc too than any other zombie flick I've ever seen too, and I've seen lots.

Bits of zombies are animated in this movie, and the characters must find ingeneous ways too "dispose" of them. Let's just say ... internal "bits" of zombies can become separate characters with more personality than entire villains in most horror films. And almost every death really is unique and bizarrely gruesome and animated with incredible (and hilarious) prosthetics. The zombies in this move really do have personalities, which is a very rare achievement.

It has gratuitous zombie-love ;-), as well as the human love story. Really, the story will amaze you, it's totally unique.

And it's set in the 1950's complete with period-piece cars, fashion etc!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:56:30 am by Reelyanoob »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2011, 07:41:24 am »

Couple of movies I saw recently and really liked:

The Secret of Kells -- An animated feature from Ireland (with a lot of European partners involved) set in Ireland during the Dark Ages, featuring a young boy from a fortified monastery and a forest spirit in the form of a shapeshifting girl. The storyline is pretty good (although the ending is somewhat abrupt), but the artwork...oh god, it's *gorgeous*. There's something about the style of the art and animation that makes me think of Samurai Jack, especially the fondness for a single moving figure against a lush, richly detailed background. Good voice acting, and enchanting soundtrack, made to be a mix of monastic music and Irish traditional music.

The Good, The Bad and the Weird -- Whacked-out Korean mash-up of Sergio Leone's The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Only this time, set in 1930's Manchuria. You have a principled bounty hunter (The Good), a ruthless, psychotic assassin (The Bad) and a petty thief who somehow always seems to squeak out of the tightest scrapes (The Weird). The Bad is sent to kill a Japanese official on a train and steal back a treasure map, reputed to lead to a cache of riches hidden at the end of the Qing Dynasty. The Weird is already robbing the train and winds up with the map. The Bad starts chasing the Weird, and the Good is chasing the Bad *and* the Weird. Also chasing after the map are a band of Manchurian bandits and (eventually) a large portion of the Japanese Army in Manchuria. This leads to an epic chase scene in the high desert where everybody's chasing the map and trying to kill each other at the same time.

The movie is chock-full of anachronisms and assorted oddities (1930's bandits armed with everything from a battleaxe to an assault rifle), loads of shootouts and Beyond The Impossible coolness (such as The Good swinging above town on a rope, accurately using a long rifle to pick off bad guys), and quite a few moments of comedy (mostly where The Weird is involved). And of course, because this is an homage to the Leone original, it all culminates in a Mexican standoff between the titular characters.

This movie singlehandedly piqued my interest in modern Korean cinema. This was just a flat-out FUN movie. Like early Tarantino, without the ego.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:50 am »

Just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time the other day.

English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?
What.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2011, 08:06:14 am »

Also, watched Iron Man 2 last night. Not bad. Enjoyed the CGI and the fight scenes with Iron Man/War Machine and the "Hammeroids" (although that was a pretty lame name for them). But the final boss fight was seriously anticlimactic. Lasted all of like 90 seconds.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2011, 10:04:03 am »

The Secret of Kells -- An animated feature from Ireland (with a lot of European partners involved) set in Ireland during the Dark Ages, featuring a young boy from a fortified monastery and a forest spirit in the form of a shapeshifting girl. The storyline is pretty good (although the ending is somewhat abrupt), but the artwork...oh god, it's *gorgeous*. There's something about the style of the art and animation that makes me think of Samurai Jack, especially the fondness for a single moving figure against a lush, richly detailed background. Good voice acting, and enchanting soundtrack, made to be a mix of monastic music and Irish traditional music.
I'd also recommend this one. It's a pretty uniquely stylised animated feature, quite unlike any other out there. The story, while rather simple, is well told in a mature, down-to-eath fashion but also with a fantastic atmosphere of mysticality and childlike wonder.

Have a look at the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPhHTtKZ8Q

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2011, 10:11:50 am »

I'd also recommend this one. It's a pretty uniquely stylised animated feature, quite unlike any other out there. The story, while rather simple, is well told in a mature, down-to-eath fashion but also with a fantastic atmosphere of mysticality and childlike wonder.

Have a look at the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPhHTtKZ8Q

Huh. I had no idea the producers were the same folks behind The Triplets of Belleville (another wonderfully off-kilter Euro animated film).

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15:09 am »

Resident Evil the movie.

-1/10

WHAT. THE. FUCK. WERE. THEY. THINKING!? It seems to have NOTHING in common with Resident Evil and seems to be simply "LOLLOOLOL! LETS LIEK BLOW UP TEH ZUMBIES!" instead of something that's actually slightly entertaining. If you're into heartless, pathetic Hollywood movies packed with jumping off walls, explosive roundhouse kicks and excessive use of slow motion, you'll love this festering pile of zombie vomit.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2011, 02:47:59 pm »

Huh. I had no idea the producers were the same folks behind The Triplets of Belleville (another wonderfully off-kilter Euro animated film).
Despite how The Triplets were at times fun, interesting, quirky and refreshing, I did not like the film. It suffered too much from not having enough of a story to tell, and simply bad directing. A lot of scenes dragged on meaninglessly, like the car chase, or "the dog & the train" one. Now these scenes would be o.k. if only they were standalone animated shorts aimed at showcasing the creator's artistic and technical prowess, but in the feature these felt like cheap time-fillers put there only to push the running time enough to justify theatrical release, or qualify for full-length feature competitions.
In the end, it was simply boring.
I did admire the style and the sheer originality it was brimming with, but watching it was an empty experience, and ultimately quite forgettable.
Which is also why I find the Secret of Kells superior - it managed to get me emotionally involved in a story and characters that seemed to be there for a reason other than just acting as mannequins for the animation.

Resident Evil the movie.

-1/10
At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite after how I berated the Triplets, let me tell you this:
You missed the point - you were supposed to ogle Mila and enjoy the explosions.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:40 pm »

Starcrash is 'classic' Italian sci-fi (English language) that came out the year after Star Wars. It's classic in that every other sci-fi movie looks a lot better after having seen Starcrash, even "Battlefield Earth". Hell, Jennifer Aniston movies look promising after this shit. The film is a constant face-palm and "OMG WTF is this shit?" Highly recommended!

It has some never-to-be-repeated-shit:

- Special effects WORSE than the original Star Trek TV series. (lots of 1950's ray harryhausen-style stop-motion animation, but worse)
- David Hasslehof light-sabre battle
- "Imperial Battleship: halt the flow of time" Just yelling shit at the sky get's things done in this film. Sadly, that's yelled by Christopher Plummer, the best actor by far in this movie.
- Planet of the almost-naked Amazon Chicks vs the even-more almost-naked heroine
- And a final battle so retarded, it defies description (this is not to be missed! you couldn't create a sillier super weapon if you were trying.)

The bad guy also look and acts like the villain in a crappy Spanish opera, complete with greasy hair, red robes and curly black moustache.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:14:00 pm by Reelyanoob »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]