Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The movie discussion thread.  (Read 6138 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The movie discussion thread.
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2011, 10:32:59 pm »

You would suppose that they are trying to protray Polish people as evil, simply because a villian has a bad Polish accent?

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your sense of humor, as I have done that in the recent past.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 10:39:06 pm »

There is an evil woman involved?
Do you mean the doctor/dance teacher? The one that does what ever she can to protect the rest of them?

The one with the creepo accent... ?

I thought she was supposed to be villainous in the main story line and sort of prostituted out in the burlesque storyline.  Er, anyway, she sounds evil.

You would suppose that they are trying to protray Polish people as evil, simply because a villian has a bad Polish accent?

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your sense of humor, as I have done that in the recent past.

That was partially humor and partially remembering that pretty much all of the "dumb blond jokes" told in this country are modified "dumb Polack jokes."  It was a real problem up until a while after the end of WWII, and my mom still grew up while they were common enough.

So yeah, the "Polish -> villainy!" thing is getting a bit tiresome.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2011, 10:43:37 pm »

Na. The rule of this movie is female = good, male = bad, with but a single exception to the latter, but really, I could go into an analysis on how misplaced he was in the entire movie, and how it might have even been better without him, so we can ignore him.

The woman with the poor accent is totally one of the protagonists.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2011, 10:44:34 pm »

So yeah, the "Polish -> villainy!" thing is getting a bit tiresome.

That happens much? I knew about the Polish jokes, but I did not know that there was any kind of stereotype about them being evil. Of course, I would not know these things, as I do not watch movies, and I know little about the world at large, but I had always supposed the Poles to be rather benign.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2011, 10:48:30 pm »

For the most part just because a person is evil in a movie it doesn't mean the movie wants to project them as such.

It just depends who the movie is trying to make you sympathetic towards.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2011, 10:50:34 pm »

That happens much? I knew about the Polish jokes, but I did not know that there was any kind of stereotype about them being evil.

The stereotype, up until very recently, was that they're air-headed idiots and cowards who will steal anything that's not nailed down.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »

Just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time the other day.

English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »

Well, I would think it something of a leap to suppose that a Polish accent was willfully included to perpetuate that stereotype. It seems rather obscure and odd. I suppose I would need to see that movie to be certain of anything, but that is two hours of my time that would be far better spent on something else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2011, 10:54:23 pm »

So, looking for something to watch now. On a movie binge and need more! Thinking of Daybreakers, good? If not, then what?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2011, 10:54:29 pm »

Just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time the other day.

English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?

I still don't know why people like it that much. I guess because it has overwhelming star power.

I'll never get it. I understand it is written like what someone would do on the back of some napkin... but still...

Mind you I liked it a bit, but from my understanding Pulp Fiction is basically on the top ten greatest movies of all time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:59:44 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 11:02:14 pm »

Well, I would think it something of a leap to suppose that a Polish accent was willfully included to perpetuate that stereotype.

I don't think it was willfully included, just like I don't think movie execs sit down and think "Should we have an empowered female character... ?  Nah, more eye candy."

Just seemed like a bit of an odd choice.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2011, 04:27:07 am »

Just something I want to nit pick about the new transformers film..
[...]
 And how the hell did you write out one of the main characters from the last two films?

A little late to this thread, but I read Megan Fox was sacked for "Nazi" comments she made about Michael Bay. Apparently Speilberg has a 'thing' about Nazis ;-) and decided to ditch her. I have watched zero of the Transformers movies personally XD.

If you want BAD FILMS, i suggest looking up "Asylum" films. They make "Transmorphers: Fall of Man", "Snakes on a Train" etc.

There's a list here of Asylum productions and the real movie they are knock-offs from. It's quite an entertaining read.

Battle: Los Angeles becomes Asylum's Battle of Los Angeles Note how the word "of" on the cover-art is really, really small to try and trick you into buying the DVD by accident. They actually managed to release this one day before Battle: Los Angeles hit the cinema.

The Day the Earth Stood Still becomes The Day the Earth Stopped, etc, etc.

After watching any Asylum version you are bound to like the real version better. Just be careful that you don't mix up Asylum version with the real version, that happens quite a bit because they are so shameless with the names.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:39:33 am by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:40 am »

[accidental double post, so I'll post some fave b-movies in my collection here. These are NOT for the PC or easily offended.]

Basket Case - wtf?
Frankenhooker - so, so wrong. From the makers of 'Basket Case'. (Vector you won't like this one)
Street Trash - will 'melt' your heart, and your eyes, brain etc, as well as any shred of taste or decency in your soul (not for Vector either)
Bad Taste - classically stupid
Braindead (aka Dead Alive in the USA and on DVD) - best Zombie RomCom evar!!
Zombie Honeymoon - low budget zombie romance, quirky, interesting. VERY different. This is not offensive like the others.

EDIT: Oh and just reading the posts for Pan's Labyrinth - one of my fave movies. I actually go to see that one in the Cinema :)
Hmmm I will have to check out Sucker Punch too if I get the chance, though reading some of the comments here i'm not in a rush.

If you want some good underground brain-frying I also recommend a 2002 French Horror film called "Malefique".
read a review or 2 at imdb, it's worth a look and not that well known.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:46:24 am by Reelyanoob »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2011, 05:18:10 am »

7 Insane Easter Eggs pertaining to movies. (Check #1 for more mind-blowing revelations)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2011, 06:53:24 am »

I plan to eventually watch this movie. I never actually get around to buying it though :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo-gGes6qig

Hah, its so ridiculous theres no way it can't be good.

Speaking of movies, I think I'll rewatch Evil Dead and its sequels later. Its been awhile since I last watched them  :D. I recommend all of them highly.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:37:47 am by Grimshot »
My personality profile.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5