Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The movie discussion thread.  (Read 6136 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The movie discussion thread.
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »

Sucker Punch has drawn considerable criticism for its depiction of women. Critics have described the movie as misogynistic and others have expressed concern over its treatment of sexual violence. Michael Phillips of The Chicago Tribune stated that "Zack Snyder must have known in preproduction that his greasy collection of near-rape fantasies and violent revenge scenarios disguised as a female-empowerment fairy tale wasn't going to satisfy anyone but himself."[80] St. Petersburg Times critic Steve Persall found that the most offensive fact about the film was that it "suggests that all this objectification of women makes them stronger. It's supposed to be reassuring that men who beat, berate, molest and kill these women will get what's coming to them. Just wait, Snyder says, but in the meantime here's another femininity insult to keep you occupied."[81] A.O. Scott of The New York Times described the film as a "fantasia of misogyny" that pretends to be a "feminist fable of empowerment" and found that the film's treatment of sexual violence was problematic.[82] Peter Debruge of Variety argued that the film is "misleadingly positioned as female empowerment despite clearly having been hatched as fantasy fodder for 13-year-old guys" and that the fact that the young women in the movie are "under constant threat of being raped or murdered" makes the film "highly inappropriate for young viewers."[83] However, Betsy Sharkey of The Los Angeles Times suggested that the film neither objectifies nor empowers women and that instead it is a "wonderfully wild provocation — an imperfect, overlong, intemperate and utterly absorbing romp through the id that I wouldn't have missed for the world."[84]

I think I need to watch this movie.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 09:41:13 pm »

Oh come on!
Some people will just instantly relate miniskirts to objectification, and then those same people might protect against women being forced to wear face veils. Their inability to depict the sickening from a parody of the sickening is sickening.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 09:45:23 pm »

Oh come on!
Some people will just instantly relate miniskirts to objectification, and then those same people might protect against women being forced to wear face veils. Their inability to depict the sickening from a parody of the sickening is sickening.

Nah, I'm saying because there's different arguments here, and I don't feel like I know what's "correct" at all.

Besides, it seems like the sort of thing I'd watch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 09:48:26 pm »

Do it. DO EEET!
And hey, if you have the ability to turn off and just enjoy it for the actiony shots without delving into any subtext, all the better! I don't, and for years it ruined Howl's moving Castle for me... Until I figured out there was a little more to that one in the last 30 seconds of the film that basically saved it.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:23 am »

Just caught Akira Kurosawa's "The Three Villains of The Hidden Fortress"; it was really pretty good, and the first Kurosawa film I've yet seen. The peasants were a bit over-the-top with their greed and stupidity, but they were fun. The General was pretty darned awesome too, as was the Princess. The plot was very simple, and a lot of the scenes were filmed in the same set of locations, but it worked, and there was even some character growth in there.

It was also a bit funny to see just how much George Lucas lifted ideas, plot elements, characters, and even a few scenes from the film for the Star Wars saga; a deposed princess who went into hiding, a rogue general who renounced his station to protect her, the two mostly useless guys who accompany them, the general of an evil emperor who tries to capture them, etc. He even took the coronation/awards scene from the end of the film, and used it at the end of Episode I.

Great old film though. I'm going to give it another watch soon, since there was a lot of catching up going on during the film, and I missed big parts of it. Hope to catch more Kurosawa soon, too!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:32:28 am by Solifuge »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 04:41:25 am »

If you're going to watch Kurosawa, Ikiru.
Ye gods, Ikiru.
I love that movie so much.

Spoiler: Meanwhile, (click to show/hide)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 05:41:52 am »

2001 space pdyssesy and im 20 minute in and it JUST FRIKIN MUNKEYYS!!!!!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 09:31:54 pm »

Just finished watching Pan's labyrinth.
Go, go now. Watch it. It is good. Very good. Graphic at times, just enough to make me look away for a second, but not enough to ruin the movie.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 09:35:14 pm »

Just finished watching Pan's labyrinth.
Go, go now. Watch it. It is good. Very good. Graphic at times, just enough to make me look away for a second, but not enough to ruin the movie.

Hee, this is one of my favorites!  Yeah, I recommend it, too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:38 pm »

Did you ever get around to watching Sucker Punch?
As one of the most opinionated forumites around, I'm looking for your analysis.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2011, 10:05:29 pm »

Did you ever get around to watching Sucker Punch?
As one of the most opinionated forumites around, I'm looking for your analysis.

Can't check it out of the library yet >_>

Working on it, though.  I discussed it with my roommate and discovered that I am probably going to be very, very angry about this movie.

But I'll still watch it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »

Do it.
You know you want to. Seeing that strawberry blond with blue eyes, in a schoolgirl outfit with miniskirt, you know there will be raeg, that's why you can't resist. And that's to say nothing of what is pretty much an all white cast. Anybody else was so forgettable, I realy can't say for sure if they were even there.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2011, 10:29:24 pm »

Do it.
You know you want to. Seeing that strawberry blond with blue eyes, in a schoolgirl outfit with miniskirt, you know there will be raeg, that's why you can't resist. And that's to say nothing of what is pretty much an all white cast. Anybody else was so forgettable, I realy can't say for sure if they were even there.

Not to mention the absolutely shitty "consciousness layering" concept and the fact that the evil woman has a failed attempt at a Polish accent.  Oh, and the fridging of the women.  And the apparent attempt to grab sexy women instead of competent actresses of any sort.  And the ... just ALL of it!  I mean, come on!  I've had the entire plot spoiled for me and for goodness' sakes, that was not a sucker punch.  That was a fucktacular ending full of monkey vomit.

What the fuck did Poland ever do to you, you bastards?!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31:54 pm »

There is an evil woman involved?
Do you mean the doctor/dance teacher? The one that does what ever she can to protect the rest of them?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5