Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baron and archery problems.  (Read 1903 times)

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baron and archery problems.
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:22:28 pm »

Started a 31.25 game recently and have been having some trouble.

During a tantrum spiral that killed off about fifty dwarves before I negated it with coffins and alcohol, my Baron was kicked in the brain by an irate miner and died. About seven years have passed and I have received the message about the fort becoming a duchy, but a replacement was never assigned and the position does not appear on the noble screen. No dungeon master ever appeared, either.

My crossbow squad have stopped using their archery range for no apparent reason. They stand around near the barracks that I have designated for sleeping in and do combat drills rather than actually improve their marksdwarf skills. The range is set to train and store equipment, the barracks is set to sleep and store equipment.

I don't appear to have any iron whatsoever. I'm drowning in gold, but there are no flux stones or iron ores. I had assumed that a region with both shallow and deep metals would have such a (previously, at least) abundant metal.

Additionally, in my civ page the general of my civilization is listed as a General/Goblin Drunk. The king seems to be a normal dwarf. My craftsdwarves keep making figurines depicting multiple elves becoming the queens of this dwarven civilization. What the hell is going on?

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
Re: Baron and archery problems.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »

Barony/Duchy problem: Some nobles are bugged, there's no easy way to get around that.
There's also no upside to have aristocrats. You just get more mandates.

Crossbow squad: The marksdwarves tend to not use their crossbows during a real fight, and sometimes they will. They also sometimes don't train on the archery target, it just happens.

Iron: Iron used to not be such an abundant metal, but metal is random. The chance of seeing iron should be higher, but my first fort on .25 had no metal for weapons to speak of. Just try to cope with it the best you can.

General/Goblin Drunk:  Some different races can come to high positions within different civilizations. You can get a goblin king, you can get a goblin queen. You can get an elf king, you can get an elf queen. Sometimes you won't get anyone to rule.

Elf queen: The elf queen had probably died and a dwarf took over the position of ruler. If it's depicted as anywhere near your current year, which you can check by pressing z and looking at the right-hand corner, then something's off. He may just be married to the elf and it doesn't show it.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

In the current version, when your Baron/Count/Duke dies, he/she isn't replaced.  Dungeon master is bugged to never show up, too.

When it comes to the marksdwarves, check if you have some bolts assigned to hunters.  Hunters get priority in bolt selection over marksdwarves.

Iron is a lot rarer then it used to be.  If you've got tons of gold, though, just make golden furniture, stud everything with gold, sell golden crafts to the caravans, I think you get the idea.

If the dwarves conquer a civilization, the captured enemies will become part of the civ.  I guess your civ defeated an elven civ and a goblin civ.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:53:47 pm »

I've got thousands of bolts. A few hundred are assigned to hunters, about a thousand metal bolts assigned to marksdwarves and another thousand bone and wood for training (Although I've noticed some of the dwarves firing wooden bolts in combat. Still seems to shatter goblin bones frequently, though.). They were using the range previously, they stopped doing so after one became an elite marksdwarf. I haven't figured out why. I've tried reassigning the targets and disassembling them, but they just refuse to use it anymore.

As for the iron, yeah, I've been trading gold for all the iron and steel I can. There's not anywhere near enough steel coming in for a fully decked-out military, though.

One final thing: My ballistas are woefully inaccurate. I've got a killing ground set up, but only about one in five bolts that the legendary siege operators fire actually makes it the thirty or forty squares down the tunnel to hit the enemy, the rest fly into the walls. Of the few that actually touch the squares the enemy is on, only a fraction of these actually appear on the combat log, and even fewer do anything but bruise.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:12:56 pm »

What's the general quality of your ballista parts?  These affect accuracy much as crossbow accuracy is by quality of the crossbow.  The siege operator is just affecting rate of fire.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:16:05 pm »

Assigning bolts for combat, and another set for training, causes MDCS(massive dwarf confusion syndrome). They will only store 25(max) of any bolt in their quiver. If you have bolts designated for combat, will not go to archery practice, since they will not swap out bolts between training use and combat use.
 The game remembers bolts assigned to a squad. If you ever remove archers from a squad, or disband a squad, those bolts are still assigned to the non existant archers or squads. Just go to your bolt stockpile, mass forbid them all, then mass claim. It clears the memory of the bolts being assigned to a squad, or an archer. Be sure to also check quivers in the stockpile. If any bolts are in them, forbid, then reclaim.

Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:20:06 am »

Having lost an appointed noble you cant get them back.  Baron, duke and count are one-time things.  If the original dies they need an of-age heir to take the title.

If your dwarves were training at an archery range and have stopped then retrace your steps.  Fredd is probably right in that they have combat bolts claimed.

Finding iron is tricky.  Your best bet is to look for deep metals and shallow metals on site finder.
Because candy counts as a deep metal almost every site will have deep metal if not deep metal's'.  For me the second is almost always gold since 31.25.
Iron is a shallow metal, the game counts useless ores too so if you have say copper ores and cobaltite...then thats shallow metal's'. 

Cinnabar and other junk ores all clutter these slots...finding iron for me has really come down to knowing enough about geology to locate a sedimentary area by sight alone
Trading for steel is gonna be your best bet.  Try and get some flux if you have none and turn goblinite iron into steel.  That and order mass steel anvils, its probably the cheapest steel item when looked at per bar.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:22:51 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 02:20:19 am »

Having lost an appointed noble you cant get them back.  Baron, duke and count are one-time things.  If the original dies they need an of-age heir to take the title.

If your dwarves were training at an archery range and have stopped then retrace your steps.  Fredd is probably right in that they have combat bolts claimed.

Finding iron is tricky.  Your best bet is to look for deep metals and shallow metals on site finder.
Because candy counts as a deep metal almost every site will have deep metal if not deep metal's'.  For me the second is almost always gold since 31.25.
Iron is a shallow metal, the game counts useless ores too so if you have say copper ores and cobaltite...then thats shallow metal's'. 

Cinnabar and other junk ores all clutter these slots...finding iron for me has really come down to knowing enough about geology to locate a sedimentary area by sight alone
Trading for steel is gonna be your best bet.  Try and get some flux if you have none and turn goblinite iron into steel.  That and order mass steel anvils, its probably the cheapest steel item when looked at per bar.

Racist~

:P
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 02:28:57 am »

Ah, I totally forgot about melting. Good idea.

The ballista parts are all exceptional quality. I'll give forbidding all ammunition a try.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:29:02 am »

...uselt'ess ores...copper ores...
What's wrong with copper? Especially if you've got some cassiterite to turn it into bronze.  And if you're copper ore is tetrahedrite, then if you smelt it to bars before bronzing, you'll be getting a bit of silver as well.

Silver hammers/maces + bronze armour = pretty tough
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 04:53:26 am »

If it's depicted as anywhere near your current year, which you can check by pressing z and looking at the right-hand corner

You are my hero, I always wanted to know how to do that.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:59:32 am »

Something else that's odd: Elven traders keep getting offended by my attempted trades of rock, gold, silver and electrum crafts. They appear to think that they are made out of wood, confusingly. It doesn't really matter, I arrange for my array of menacing copper spikes elite diplomats to enter extended negotiation and reparation discussions with them when they attempt to cross the entrance drawbridge. Hmm...Do objects glazed with ash count as wood for the purposes of elves being dicks about trading?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 05:09:00 am »

Something else that's odd: Elven traders keep getting offended by my attempted trades of rock, gold, silver and electrum crafts. They appear to think that they are made out of wood, confusingly. It doesn't really matter, I arrange for my array of menacing copper spikes elite diplomats to enter extended negotiation and reparation discussions with them when they attempt to cross the entrance drawbridge. Hmm...Do objects glazed with ash count as wood for the purposes of elves being dicks about trading?

Are you trying to sell bins of craft to them? I don't have the latest version so I can't speak for glazing, but I've forgotten that they can get pissy at the bin a few times.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 05:17:09 am »

Nope, no bins. Manually selected each object to trade, I even went back through the list after they got offended and found no objects made of anything other than rock or metal being traded.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 06:35:58 am »

Trade magma.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: [1] 2