Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gasp! Not at war with goblins?  (Read 3517 times)

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
Gasp! Not at war with goblins?
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:44:06 pm »

I've never been at war peace with goblins, and then during this new fort I look at an engraving. The engraving depicts something of a peace treaty between goblins and dwarves in the year 7, I'm in year 126.
Since I've always been at war with them how do I know? I just started so I haven't gotten any wealth or whatever for a baby snatcher.
Will this engraving doom me to the known fate of not being able to kill them? Or could something of happened between the time of the treaty and where I am now?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:34:15 pm by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Sinlessraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gasp! Not at war with goblins?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:46:27 pm »

Since you're at peace with them, you might get a trade caravan, if you do you can just kill the traders a couple of times, and eventually they'll go to war with you.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:47:43 pm »

Since you're at peace with them, you might get a trade caravan, if you do you can just kill the traders a couple of times, and eventually they'll go to war with you.

I thought killing caravans of any humanoid, besides dwarves, was bugged so they won't attack you. Like humans and elves, since that's the only other race I've traded with.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »

I think that's pretty awesome, you should keep the treaty going.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:49:59 pm »

I think that's pretty awesome, you should keep the treaty going.

Why? I'll have no-one attacking me, resulting in zero fun.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »

You'll still have wildlife and forgotten beasts.  And since you won't be getting any sieges any time soon, try building a large magaproject, without any interruption.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »

A peace treaty means cessation of war, not cessation of hostilities. Goblins will still likely attack you. Being at war with goblins is actually somewhat unusual, and just means they'll attack more than usual. As far as I am aware, it is actually impossible to have no hostilities with goblins, as their BABYSNATCHER tag makes them hostile to entities without it, including dwarves.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:32:18 pm »

Being "at war" has absolutely nothing to do with goblin sieges. Expect the usual service of goblinite.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:33:54 pm »

Being "at war" has absolutely nothing to do with goblin sieges. Expect the usual service of goblinite.

I mucked up the OP by not checking it.
I meant I've never been at peace with goblins and that is why I am wondering if I am now.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 05:37:39 pm »

I meant I've never been at peace with goblins and that is why I am wondering if I am now.
Necrorebel has already answered you. Being "at peace" means goblins still send you sieges. "Peace" and "War" just mean a difference in how formal the arrangement is. Welcome to goblin diplomacy.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 05:40:58 pm »

Necrorebel has already answered you. Being "at peace" means goblins still send you sieges. "Peace" and "War" just mean a difference in how formal the arrangement is. Welcome to goblin diplomacy.

I know, which is why I was correcting myself while answering you.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »

Press 'c' and you will know for certain whether those goblins at the gate are there for trade or for your marrow. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »

Press 'c' and you will know for certain whether those goblins at the gate are there for trade or for your marrow. :)

I know how to check civs. I just started this fort so I have no goblins on the civ screen.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 07:29:07 pm »

The sieges should come from a different civ than the caravan, if I understand correctly, so the goblin mercs protecting the caravan should help you with your seiges same as the human caravan.

Either that or a sudden change from "Merchant" to "INVADER" and a sudden change from docile pack animal to vicious beak dog. Extra fortifications designed to defend from both sides should serve you well.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 09:46:26 pm »

The sieges should come from a different civ than the caravan, if I understand correctly, so the goblin mercs protecting the caravan should help you with your seiges same as the human caravan.

Either that or a sudden change from "Merchant" to "INVADER" and a sudden change from docile pack animal to vicious beak dog. Extra fortifications designed to defend from both sides should serve you well.

Would be interesting to know if that would cause a goblin loyalty cascade. It's unlikely, due to the simplified nature of everything that happens off map, but it would be good to test that and make sure.
Pages: [1] 2