Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Great Rise (and even greater fall) of Flickersteels (succession game)  (Read 3601 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile

Thank god you're not using the original colour scheme.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile

I'll take the job of setting up the fort at the DF Map archive if people send me their .FDF-MAP files (ESC/Export Local Image, then use SL's DF Map Compressor and upload the resulting file somewhere so I can upload it)

Alternatively we could set up a joint account and PM each other the password...

Vote?

Yay, desert.

At least deserts have sand... (Note to self - next time I attempt a 150 Z-level magma pump stack, use the better design lest my fort dies a slow FPs death...)

Hopefully this fort will be more successful than Uristildom...

What happened to Uristildom?

Thank god you're not using the original colour scheme.

Why not? I prefer it, actually... With two minor changes (I increased the height of horizontal walls by one, and changed a pixel in the vermin remains symbol)

Also - can people upload images (to img.ie too preferably) as PNGs? That way they arn't blurry...

Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We shall live.  Barring something unforseen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am mentally exhausted.  The last several months have been a blur of micromanagement.  We got some immigrants some time ago.  I slapped them on the back, told them they were now masons, mechanics, and architects, and they seemed to take it in stride, especially when they saw what needed to be done for security.  Pretty much everyone has half a dozen jobs, just to make sure things got done.  Up until very recently, every job was critical, and most of them were barely completed before catastrophe ocurred.  We had an unpleasant dry spell again, when the cook and I filled all the barrels with food, but the new wells in the hospital and the dining hall held us over till the brewer convinced the rock crafter to make some pots for brew.

Lets take it step by step from the top of the fortress to the bottom before I pass the keys to you and take up the rake for some well deserved mindless labor.

The upper aboveground level has just begun.  We now have two dwarves mining, and they can produce plenty of rock so completing the roof over the entry should be doable in fairly short order.  There's a lot to do, but we're dwarves, masonry is in our blood, nearly every dwarf will help with this effort.  We've all seen the skeletal buzzards, and we all know that they are some of the weakest flying threats.

The ground level is reasonably complete, though more cages and perhaps some funneling walls might be in order.  The drawbridge lever is labeled in the pump room.  The dogs are kept on this level, and allowed to run mostly free in the entire enclosed area inside the walls.  Refuse that will rot or smell foul is kept up here.  Useful refuse is kept below.

As we come down the stairs, you can see the floor securing the first place we tapped water.  Desperate, we did so in an insecure manner.  That floor hould never be removed.  The last thing we need is a raging hippo coming out of the river unexpectedly.

Now around us is the main area.  Farms and food storage, lots of small stockpiles, somewhat disorganized overall - we can address this over time.  The chickens are currently penned in the room with the bones, hooves, hair, and horns.  We have a communal bedroom, and dining hall.  We have most of the basic food and animal product related workshops.  There's a reasonably well stocked but small hospital, but we could use some soap soon.  Plenty for room in the hospital for us for now.  There's room to expand later.  There's a deep well under the hospital and the communal eating area.  The pump room has two levers - they are labeled, and you can read them with an "N" rune.

The Depot is on the other side of the fort, directly above what will eventually likely become the crafting facility, though at this stage, plans can certainly change.

Below the main area is the secure cistern and what I'd suggest, after some significant digging, would be the future site of the animal pastures.  Yup, that does indeed mean what you think it means.  We've kept it a secret for two weeks waiting till the end of the season to announce it.  I'll show you more shortly.

Here is where we shall all rest one day, Armok permitting.  Unfortunately one of us already resides in this place.  Vabok went out into the wild shortly after he emmigrated, searching for bones I think he said.  A skeletal camel found him.  We know where his corpse is, but the survival of the fortress is more important than retrieving the bones of one already dead.  We honored him with a carved memorial slab for now, but we WILL retrieve the bones of Vabok some day, his coffin is ready for his remains, and a coffer for his gear.

Over on this side of the fort, under the trade depot, is where the mason, carpenter, mechanic, and craftdwarf workshops are.  Wood and gems are stored here for now as well.  This might well change.

It's quite a trip down these stairs, eh?  Yes, we have breached the caverns, and they are rather substantial.  After breaching, we have determined that from top to bottom, the first cavern layer is over 60 levels.  It might be more - we can't echosound far enough to verify we see the true bottom yet.

A couple more things before I hand over the responsibilities of overseer.

We have found lignite, magnetite, hematite, and limonite.  I am not aware of any flux yet, but I would be suprised if we find none.  There is no sign yet of magma, and if we do find it, it will likely be very, very deep.  Perhaps deep enough we will want to move the entire fort to the magma.

I wish you the bet of luck, do us proud!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:39:16 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile

Click the link in my sig, read the topic.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just realized that I did not designate the hospital well as a water source.  This would probably be a good idea.  The well in the dining hall is a water source.

Trying to upload to dffd now.  Having some severe slowness issues in the upload, and even compressed it's well over 20MB, so it'll be a few minutes.

Here is it: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4553
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:16:51 am by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll take the challenge now I guess, I will probably we done tomorrow. I'll play now and I'll finish it tomorrow, the DF will never be the same.

1st Granite:
I arrived at this hellhole, but the guards told me to stay outside in case I was infected with the zombie virus ruling the desert here. As soon as the bridge dropped a got greeted by my good old friend FarmerBob, the planter (oh the irony). He knew about my Military qualities and told Id The expedition leader about them, he said we could use someone like me with all those damn skeletons and zombies out here in the desert, damn necromancers.

6st Granite:
I got myself settled here, and one of the first things I noticed are the huge amount of dog droppings EVERYWHERE, I couldnt take and ordered all puppies to be slaughtered for food and resources ASAP!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:47:16 am by HorridOwn4ge »
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's probably about time to specialize the dwarves.  Some of them have some pretty useful skills as mediocre levels, ripe for becoming useful.  I'm thinking it was a random skill embark, either that or I just wasn't understanding the intentions of the first player.  If the lignite is around in sufficient quantities, it might be worth making some normal forges.

I'm very tempted to DFreveal the site now that I'm done.  20+ MB is a big file for such a small and early embark.  If we've got 1000 z levels before magma, it'll be painfun, and I'll likely sign up for another round.

*grin*

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

20th Granite:
Not much happening, one of the miners has reached legendary, we started digging a new meeting hall, we, Dwarves, don't really want to be 'that' close to the sun, and we prefer the damp cold rock much more, and we want our Dwarven wine to be cool, too cool.

8th Slate:
Id had designated a large underground sand patch to be dug for future wildlife to graze upon and maybe for some 'safe' underground trees. We're still not through our steady supply of dog meat/bones/skulls/skins.

23th Slate:
The chief medical dwarf just crept everyone out and he is now searching for a available workshop, and some migrants arrived but they can't get in because some jackass forgot to build a bridge, I blame the damn planters.

24th Slate:
He grabbed two boulders and rubs them together, even I don't know what to do with the poor fella'.

4th Felsite:
We're now thriving with 34 dwarfs, we need to expand, fast.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:20:34 am by HorridOwn4ge »

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile

Click the link in my sig, read the topic.
...oh
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile

I'll take a turn.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OOC: I was away for a few hours, the chief medical dwarf finished the artifact.

6th Felsite:
The medidwarf finished his damn artifact, it's some dumb-ass crown made out of rock salt, like the king and queen themselves would come to this wasteland.

8th Malachite:
The masons started erecting a few watchtowers in the corners of our outpost, should't take that much time anymore.

28th Malachite:
Even more migrants arrive, our towers are not yet done. Our scouts saw some zombies to the southwest, as long as they stay there our outpost don't care, our outpost don't give a shit. We finally have enough booze to keep the fort flowing and cheering, and ofcourse massive amounts of puppymeat/leather/bonecrafts.

19th Limestone:
Weaponsmith was in a fell mood recently I'm going into rehab he crafted a iron crossbow with some citrine rings. I'll stay in the back from now on.

21st Galena:
Jesus those skeletal things are strong, I took him down, he only got my left hand and broke my spine and other shit but I still stand tall (in bed), ha!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:37:47 pm by HorridOwn4ge »

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll take a turn, sign me up.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

STORY UPDATE

The message telling that the dwarves have survived the first year finally reaches the king who sent the willing first seven.

"Are you not proud, sir?"
"No. They have yet to face real danger. For now, they are safe."

END OF STORY UPDATE

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st Moonstone:
We traded with the dwarves from the mountainhomes, they were still surprised we were still alive except for 2 people some wrestler of my squad. Then those.. those 'things' assaulted our fortress, no one thought of pulling the lever they were tobusy partying. We only last a wrestler though.

15th Opal:
They assualted again we lost a few, including my good friend Farmerbob, atleast he only was a planter.

20th Obsidian:
The skeletons took down 3 of our recruits, I took down all three of them single-handedly (Ha!). My turn is almost over btw.

It saved nvm.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:12:27 am by HorridOwn4ge »

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's the DFFD:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4559

And for the next overseer: Please save my ass.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4