Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Convince me to buy Fallout 3! (Now convince me to install mods when it comes!)  (Read 5237 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Convince me to buy Fallout 3!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 03:24:08 pm »

In my humble opinion, grab Fallout 1 and 2 instead. You will be more entertained and more challenged.

Not to mention it will be cheaper.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 03:28:02 pm »

fine then. you want a push up?
as for all bethesda works, MODDERS MAKE IT.
there is a huge modding community.
with all sorts of mod.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
TO (VM 18):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
passing through new areas or anything like it.
you buy one bethesda game? modders make it last forever.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 03:34:12 pm »

Ok I'm convinced that if I get one it will be New Vegas.  Mostly cause yay non combat skills, tell me more about this?

You can use skills such as survival, doctor, repair and firearms for crafting if you have the right materials.
Also, many dialogues let you make use of the speech skill, if its high enough.

As for free roaming, I'm won't claim New Vegas is as large as Fallout 3, especially not Fallout 3 with DLC, but its large enough.
Also, I haven't played the New Vegas DLC yet so I don't know how much they add, but most of the Fallout 3 DLC was pretty crap so it shouldn't be hard to top it in terms of quality ;)

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:30 pm »

You can drink irradiated water from toilets!! Awwww Yeeeeah!

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »

In my humble opinion, grab Fallout 1 and 2 instead. You will be more entertained and more challenged.

Not to mention it will be cheaper.

I've already played out Fallout 2.

On modding is it pretty much equivalent amounts for each game?

I used to run Morrowind with around 60 mods so yeah I like them.  (Oh has Bethesda learned not to make people look horrendous or do I still need to mod that?)

About how much play time can I expect from each? Is Vegas just a little smaller or is it a lot smaller?

Also note that I will likely get both eventually.  Thus there is a point that I think it may be better to wait for NV to go GOTY too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:53:15 pm by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 03:52:55 pm »

I remember playing with that settlement mod too, where you can pretty much build and design your own city.  I think someone said the developer was taking a break from it, which sucks.  But maybe that would weigh in your decision if you'd like to have a side project involving town building/developing/survival.
Actually, I think the dev completely dropped the project. At least, he did for the NV version of the mod.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 03:53:39 pm »

Fallout 3: New Vegas has a lot of the storyline that Fallout Van Buren was supposed to have.  It's a good storyline, and some of the design crew for Van Buren came to work on New Vegas.  Get New Vegas.

Fallout 3 Vanilla is pretty bad.  Storyline is boring and the gameplay repetitive.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 03:58:48 pm »

I've already played out Fallout 2.

On modding is it pretty much equivalent amounts for each game?

I used to run Morrowind with around 60 mods so yeah I like them.  (Oh has Bethesda learned not to make people look horrendous or do I still need to mod that?)

About how much play time can I expect from each? Is Vegas just a little smaller or is it a lot smaller?

Also note that I will likely get both eventually.  Thus there is a point that I think it may be better to wait for NV to go GOTY too.
There is a large modding community for both games, with a hell of alot of mods.

I'd say New Vegas and Fallout 3 are roughly the same size, I spent more time playing New Vegas though because I really liked the story of it. Out of both my favorite was New Vegas, I just felt the story was less black and white and more of what faction you think is the good one.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 04:02:00 pm »

You know, I actually enjoyed fallout 3 a hell of a lot more than new vegas.

But that's probably because it doesn't glitch out on me every 5 minutes.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 04:07:41 pm »

I'm tempted to say it could take longer to finish New Vegas since there's parts where something can kick your ass at your current level and you have to back off. Plus there's the different main quest routes based on who you side with.

I think there's more dungeons in FO3 (as in overly large in-door areas), but then I found them completely uninteresting and didn't bother after the first 2 unless they were quest related, and even then it felt like a chore. And FO3 is easy to rush through since everything is always scaled to your level.

I'd say they're about the same content-wise. Looking at The Vault wikia, there's 186 marked locations in NV compared to FO3's 163.

I dunno about mod amounts, though. The only thing that I really wanted for New Vegas while playing it the first time was to remove or nerf cazadors, and I did find a mod for that.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »

I would actually suggest to wait for New Vegas until the GOTY edition comes out, then again $20 worth of DLC is a really big deal to me.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 04:20:10 pm »

Alright my decision is to get FO3 GOTY!
Reasons:
I may not like it after NV and want to play both.
I love not following the plot and instead exploring stupid useless caverns.
I love exploring in general.
If I start with this one NV may have a GOTY when I want to get it or may be cheaper.
Also I live on the east coast so the territoriality makes it more amusing to me.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 04:23:51 pm »

Alright my decision is to get FO3 GOTY!
Reasons:
I may not like it after NV and want to play both.
I love not following the plot and instead exploring stupid useless caverns.
I love exploring in general.
If I start with this one NV may have a GOTY when I want to get it or may be cheaper.
Also I live on the east coast so the territoriality makes it more amusing to me.

Excellent choice.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »

I personally didn't care for fallout 3 at all when I played it: gameplay, mechanics, storyline was all boring to me. Didn't think I'd like New Vegas, turns out I enjoyed considerably more. When you get around to playing it I HIGHLY recommend the... What was it called, Hardcore mode? It just brings more interesting dimensions to the game overall, stuff you normally expected from the setting of the game itself.

Since you've already decided on FO3, I'm certainly not going to try and dissuade you from that choice. I would really recommend checking out some mods before starting, though.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »

Well on that note Propagate me some mods?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4