Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead village.  (Read 1912 times)

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Dead village.
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:30:32 am »

I just started a new adventure. Went looking for some companions at the only nearby fortress, and there was nobody there. That is common on my trips, so i left and went back to the spawn village.

Once i got there, i found it was completely deserted. The shops and everything were empty. So my questions are:

1: Can i take the items without consequence?
2: Is there an easy way to check the legends viewer, without having to retire? (I have dfhack if it helps)

Edit: I only just noticed the questions forum. If it could be moved there, i will be happy.

Edit 2: Nevermind the legends. I just retired a duplicated save.

Edit 3: Seems there is some history here, and it must be recent. The nearby villages didnt mind me raiding everything worth something. I will go kill the nearby beasties and hopefully they will want to join me, so i can get to the next village at least.
Edit 3: Nevermind again. I just took the stuff.

I will find out how the city was cleared out, and i will murderate whoever did it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:43:21 am by gomwon »

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

zeet

• Bay Watcher
  • Programming lunatic.
    • View Profile
Re: Dead village.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:43:32 am »

They most likely starved to death.
But if you want to murder starvation go ahead :b

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:45:29 am »

The food shops seemed to be in heavy supply. I imagine it was abandoned. I blame the elves.

Edit 1: I have killed a bandit, and now a miner wants to join me on my foolish quest. I got myself to a proper civilisation, and hopefully i will make it to the dark fortress, that i so desperately want to get to for reasons i forgot.

Edit 2: It seems this village is completely abandoned too. I blame the elves again.

Edit 3: It seems EVERY village seems to have died off in a matter of days. I have adventured on this small world before, yet every village seemed to be alive back then.

Edit 4: I just got 1shotted by a goblin with a masterwork sword. Hate.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:52:34 am by gomwon »

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:43 am »

The food shops seemed to be in heavy supply. I imagine it was abandoned. I blame the elves.

The items for shops come out of nowhere, but I'm pretty sure that is fixed in the next update, one of the things talked about them actually getting items from somewhere.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:06:38 am »

I have seen towns, with bandits attacking the citizens, killing several. One one occasion was ambushed just outside a  town, by over 30 goblin bandits. This suggests that monsters, bandits move around on the map, interacting with villagers.
 Using the retire a fort trick, I have noticed they will also attack citizens in a retired fort
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:06:37 pm »

Could be worse. I had generated a world that had no living civs at all in it. Just a bunch of abandoned towns and forts :/

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »

Could be worse. I had generated a world that had no living civs at all in it. Just a bunch of abandoned towns and forts :/

Same here. Once I modded in my dominant golem species, the world was basically blank, aside from the capital.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 07:03:11 am »

I genned an empty town world once. My inventory was ridiculously full of gems and iron weapons. Kills a lot of the fun to be honest.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »

Edit 1: I have killed a bandit, and now a miner wants to join me on my foolish quest. I got myself to a proper civilisation, and hopefully i will make it to the dark fortress, that i so desperately want to get to for reasons i forgot.

Edit 2: It seems this village is completely abandoned too. I blame the elves again.

Edit 3: It seems EVERY village seems to have died off in a matter of days. I have adventured on this small world before, yet every village seemed to be alive back then.

Edit 4: I just got 1shotted by a goblin with a masterwork sword. Hate.

To that being 1-shot-killed by a goblin with a masterwork sword thing, you would have hated to be that hammerman I killed at one point. I hacked him in the chest (tearing either his heart or one lung), lopped off his leg, and hacked him in the head. I killed him in 3 hits. With no help (I had companions, though). With a no-frills, standard (no symbol) iron great axe.

To the abandoned towns, I wandered into one (without knowing it was abandoned at the time) and saw groundhogs wandering around in it. I thought, "Huh. Animals don't usually wander in towns". Then I notices the roofs had stone instead of wood. I (literally) jumped down, and [l]ooked at the walls. They were Smooth Conglomerate. Then I thought, "That's strange. House walls aren't normally made out of stone". I walked into a shop, hoping to get a few metal items. Nothing was inside. That's when it hit me: "Oh, crap, this town's abandoned!" I now blame the goblins. And I was an ELF the whole damn time, so don't blame it ALL on us elves.