Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dodge-Fall Traps  (Read 5920 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Dodge-Fall Traps
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 09:58:06 pm »

Yep, once combat logs were integrated into DF itself a retest was done to see how falling damage worked in regards to those logs.  An unlinked spike at the bottom of a pit makes an attack once all the falling damage attacks finish.

But it only makes the attack if falling damage gets calculated.  A fall from a single z level inflicts no falling damage, and thus doesn't trigger the spike, which may be why the origonal falling on spikes test came up negative.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 11:07:30 pm »

The entire purpose of the upright spear is to toss people onto it.  Having it piston up and down is a secondary joy, though a very nice one.
This is distinctly phallic in nature...

Sometimes, an upright spike is just an upright spike.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 11:47:53 pm »

Unless it's a menacing spike.  Then it's phallic.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 12:45:05 am »

In any case, it'd still be a good idea to link those spikes to levers and set them to repeat. Sometimes goblins still survive the 10z fall down my execution chute onto ten masterwork menacing steel spikes (and walked far enough to terrorize a couple of corpse haulers). The stun/unconscious time plus a second skewering usually does the trick.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 03:21:01 am »

Yep, once combat logs were integrated into DF itself a retest was done to see how falling damage worked in regards to those logs.
It's also possible that they just plain didn't work in previous versions and Toady forgot to add it to the list of bugfixes.

And I have a better idea. Instead of spikes, what about 7/7 of water and some alligators?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 05:17:45 am »

Yep, once combat logs were integrated into DF itself a retest was done to see how falling damage worked in regards to those logs.
It's also possible that they just plain didn't work in previous versions and Toady forgot to add it to the list of bugfixes.

And I have a better idea. Instead of spikes, what about 7/7 of water and some alligators?
Depends on what the OP wanted these goblins alive for after they fell. Amusing ways to kill goblins from the fall are plenty starting from the ubiquitous magma.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 10:26:37 am »

There's also that you would probably have to have no way to path out of the gator pit in order to keep the gators there.

From my own experience, goblins not being able to easily path to their leader (or the corpse of their leader) often causes them to just stand in place looking stupid. In some situations that could force you to have to come to them.  And that can be dangerous in the middle of the bridge or against superior numbers.  Bolts seem to do a good job of waking individuals up, but you don't always have the range of crossbow coverage to hit them all.

Crocpit idea does sound cool though.  Maybe war crocs in a pasture, so that the gobbs can still path to their leader, but the crocs won't run away from the gobbos that fall in.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 10:36:43 am »

Actually the reason you want to link spike/spears to a lever, besides the visual effects, is being able to  remove impaled corpses
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:23 am »

I recommend swimming badgers.  Untame badgers.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 02:13:13 pm »

You could dig a ramp from the pit up to the beginning of the dodge-trap bridge, so any unharmed or wounded enemies crawl back up and throw themselves off again.  You could also put cage traps along the ramp so that a certain number of the battered or unharmed enemies are captured for later use.  You could then use the ramp for access to clear the goblinite once the bridge is clear, or have some sort of siege safe entrance to the pit, like a drawbridge and a ditch or something.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 02:15:34 pm »

I'm thinking I may just fill the bottom with magma or have the option of being able to flood it with magma may simplify the whole process and make for easier cleanup.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 02:26:08 pm »

I vote to allow for magma flooding.  This lets you burn away the useless copper and cloth junk, and then you can harvest the valuable iron goods once it accumulates.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 02:55:33 pm »

Yes, magma cleanup plumbing is good. Just factor in how long it can take 1/7 magma to evaporate if you need to retrieve the goods in a hurry. Also, copper takes a while to melt compared to cloth and organic waste.

Personally, I modded ethics to harvest bones from goblinite too. This means I have to wait for my haulers to carry away corpses before I unleash the magma. I'm thinking of having my killzone be entirely made of bridges so I can circumvent the 1/7 magma evaporation period as far as the walkway is concerned.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

Actually it's the copper stuff that I want since I have about three z's of solid magnetite.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 05:20:41 pm »

Actually it's the copper stuff that I want since I have about three z's of solid magnetite.
Everything you can do with copper, you can do better with iron. Do you want diversity or alloys or what?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 [2] 3