Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Are dwarves that have become used to tragity immune to tantrums?  (Read 11198 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are dwarves that have become used to tragity immune to tantrums?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 05:14:07 pm »

I don't know... I look at it as "Helping" the dwarves (which are already crazy) by trying to alter their emotional states away from suicide and/or killing their friends. Kinda like the testing done in the 60's. A little drilling in the brain, pain tolerance, electrocution, pets you love falling from great heights and splattering on your table during breakfast. It helps keep a dwarf balanced. =p

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 06:46:32 pm »

I can't find the thread right now, but there's a great method for violent death farming. 

I now have a sig.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 03:12:48 am »

A little drilling in the brain, pain tolerance, electrocution, pets you love falling from great heights and splattering on your table during breakfast. It helps keep a dwarf balanced.
Sgged
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 05:30:13 am »

Speaking of getting used to tragedy. Is that just from witnessing death? Because my sheriff currently has "she doesn't really care about anything anymore." Despite never witnessing any deaths (I don't think) and never beating someone to death. All that's happened is she got attacked by a skeletal giant eagle and can no longer walk.
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 05:42:31 am »

Getting used to tragedy means death of close ones stop having happiness hits on them. That doesn't make them immune to unhappiness, it just removes the #1 source of unhappiness spikes.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 06:21:32 am »

Does no one else feel HORRIBLE that we're developing scientific methods to turn dwarves into sociopaths? >>

No... I don't really care about anything anymore.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 02:46:28 pm »

Couldn't one engineer an automatic siege-stopper to drop the goblins right into the dining hall?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Lordofd511

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 04:06:47 pm »

I've had a miner before who hadn't seen any death, but did get "has started to become used to tragedy". I believe it was caused by a couple bad falls she had. It might be that injury alone can cause it, in which case it should be fairly simple to set up a 2-3 z level drop "trap" and have your dwarves constantly sent off to the hospital. This should net you resistance to tantrum spirals and experience for your doctors.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 04:19:36 pm »

It will also make their friends get used to tragedy when they invariably land on their heads and die.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 04:57:58 pm »

But what if you dig a section into your dining hall for falling animals, separate it with iron bars, and stick a few zombies or something that eats flesh in there to clean up the organs and prevent miasma? Is there even such a thing as an animal that does this? Would the dwarves still get used to tragedy if they saw that? It could be like dwarven television. Or, rather than make it a long fall, you could make it a 1-2 zlevel fall into a pit full of untamed grizzlies so a lot of things would just get injured from the fall and then they'd have to fight the bears with those injuries while the dwarves watched. Or would a window work for this?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 04:59:35 pm »

Zombies don't eat flesh. Yet.

And even if they did, their presence would just scare the dwarves away from the room. Same goes for the grizzlies.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 05:04:05 pm »

Does the fact that we can come up with, and generally are fine with, this many ways to efficiently kill things make all of us sociopaths?

We should research this. The dwarven scientists must find a cure for care! TO THE DWARF CAVE!
do-dly-do-dly-dooo!
This space for rent

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 02:08:36 pm »

Are there any downsides to not caring about anything anymore, such as being more susceptible to unhappiness from other sources?

I'm only talking about game mechanics of course, so their being mentally scarred and traumatized doesn't count.
Toady or some modder should make it so Dwarves who get to this point get rest from sleep less efficiently, like maybe a ~x(.95) modifier. It wouldn't have much meaningful effect; it would just represent them occasionally having a nightmare and subsequently waking up in a cold sweat. Then once they realize it was just a flashback and they were only dreaming, they quietly sob for a few minutes until their heart stops racing and they drift back to sleep.
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 02:16:53 pm »

Zombies don't eat flesh. Yet.
Elves on the other hand, do. As do trolls I believe. The issue of civilians running away can be resolved by having the 'cleanup' happen 'offscreen' - so they witness the death, but are spared the sight of the corpse disposal system.

You know? Magma is actually the easier and more practical solution for corpse disposal instead of live flesh eaters.

Are there any downsides to not caring about anything anymore, such as being more susceptible to unhappiness from other sources?
I read somewhere that it makes them drink more often. That's a vague memory though with no source attached so experimentation is needed to verify or disprove it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:19:46 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 02:21:45 pm »

I never thought I'd say magma is worse than anything at anything...... :o  :-\
but disposing of corpses via zombies actually sounds like a cooler alternative. Or elf prisoners. Like seriously, think of how awesome that would be. I don't even think they'd mind being in there. It's free food for life!
Pages: 1 [2] 3