Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Raw tags for butchering returns  (Read 6214 times)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raw tags for butchering returns
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 02:51:29 am »

I'd like to see those pieces have less value and a way to throw them away. They ARE able to eat those but I can't imagine they're enjoying it...there's a reason why we throw most of this junk away or grind it into animal food or whatever.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 03:07:13 am »

I'd like to see those pieces have less value and a way to throw them away. They ARE able to eat those but I can't imagine they're enjoying it...there's a reason why we throw most of this junk away or grind it into animal food or whatever.

Actually, i don't think dwarves should be disgusted by -cow lung roast-. Very tasty, if you ask me. :P Then again, they are dwarves, they have their own taste different from us. Maybe prepared giant cave spider eyes are like caviar for them who knows. Anyway, none of us aver ate cave spider eyes.

But the good idea is to attribute different value to different animal tissues. This way we can have valuable meat animals that are not necessary fort-crushing monsters, specifically valuable body parts from certain animal like foie gras, and other dwarven delicacies. Even better if value is culture-specific. And it can even be modded, afaik.

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 04:59:38 am »

Livers, eyeballs, brains, lungs were typical things people did'nt eat, cats, dogs, lampreys and other nasty animals were never eaten.
Nope. Not dwaves, here are dwarves, happily eating lamprey livers and Crundle Brain Stews.

The humans in DF seem to eat even worse stuff. Human traders keep offering me barrels of large roach ichor and groundhog blood. YUMMY!

Actually, I would argue that people eat some very strange things. King Henry I of England is recorded as dying of a 'surfet of lampreys', Haggis comes to mind (sheeps heart, liver and lungs) and blood is used to make black pudding and other forms of blood sausage even today. The exclusive eating of the meat (and not the offal) of animals is a fairly modern thing brought on by factory farming.
In the 800-900s shortly before Yuletide, was the time known as 'Blood Moon' when most people would slaughter the pigs they had been fattening up over the summer and use *everything* that could be used. Headcheese/Brawn, blood sausage, marrow is quite nutritious, the meat would be cured and/or frozen so it would keep over the winter etc.

I think that the different values for various parts of a carcass would be a good idea - and would it be possible to mod in some sort of blood pudding?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:03:02 am by OddTheTall »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 06:58:32 am »

You could probably use the blood barrels you get off merchants with a custom reaction to make blood pudding. Sort of like cheesemaking.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 07:19:56 am »

Somewhat related:

Is there a way to get rid of all the funky offal you get from butchering returns? Meat and fat is fine, brains and lungs are wtf. Feed that to the dogs or something, quit making roasts of the stuff.
Is this guy trolling? I find nothing wrong in using animal offal in cooking. There are many great meals based on it, as OddTheTall pointed out. I didn't try Haggis yet, but I ate something similar as I belive:
Why would anyone waste perfectly good food?! And it tastes great.
Though I do find this bizzare...
Some cultures prize foods we find disgusting. Balut (rotten duck embryo) comes to mind.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 07:59:55 am »

Too much American-Centric ideology here.  The same mindset that says "Why would anyone eat goat cheese?  Cows produce perfectly good cheese!"  Not everyone will submit to your way of thinking, especially not in DF.  A cow, according to the wiki, produces
Food items
Meat    10-14
Fat    9
Brain    1
Heart    1
Lungs    2
Intestines    2
Liver    1
Kidneys    2
Tripe    1
Sweetbread    1
Eyes    2
Spleen    1
That's 10-14 meat, 9 fat, 14 assorted organs.  That means that at least half of the cow's edible parts are offal parts, and depending on how you count fat, that could be up to 2.3x more "junk parts" than actual meat.  Livestock are already difficult to use to feed a fort, I'd like to see you double the needed amount just because you don't like to see pixelated prepared cow lung.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:44 am »

I'm Polish myself but if someone tries to feed me kaszanka I'll rip his spine out. Disgusting stuff, this isn't food for civilized people. We're living in 2011 for fucks sake!

Too much American-Centric ideology here.  The same mindset that says "Why would anyone eat goat cheese?  Cows produce perfectly good cheese!" 

Sorry, but what? Goat cheese is tasty, offal is glorified refuse...no comparsion at all. And as far as I know from the people that went to the USA from here the average American diet is really substandard anyway...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:04:13 am by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 09:37:31 am »

I am latin american, and i say df has actually INCREASED my interest in offal. Cultures that pass through enduring poverty learn to make do with what they have, so we have pig tails, ears and trotters in feijoada; or cow sweetbread, kidneys, chitterlings and testicles in asados. If they endure, these dishes are no longer associated with poverty, but considered a delicacy (much like lobsters).

In DF, dwarves are alcoholic, depressive, short-tempered maniacs, menaced by goblin babysnatchers, elf cannibals, bored hammerers, terrible famines and seas of magma. It is only fitting they learn to eat everything their animals offer them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 09:53:18 am »

I'm starting to think that dwarven eating habits are more of a spiritual form of self-redemption, a way to reaffirm their life and comfort themselves in times of doubt.  "We just lost Odom to an ambush, and a babysnatcher took my only child Locu.  The hammerer killed my wife Urist because the baron went insane after no one gave him any crystal glass.  And I'm feasting on elephant heart, despite these tragedies.  I can still endure enough to devour the more vital parts of the most violent beasts."

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 09:57:52 am »

I'm sure anyone would feast heartily on some *cow lung roast* when a few decades back there was all that starvation going on.

That aside, blood pudding is fucking delicious.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 10:00:34 am »

Except that dwarves aren't starving.  A 3x3 farm plot will sustain a fort of 50 with smart barrel usage.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 10:04:15 am »

Except that dwarves aren't starving.  A 3x3 farm plot will sustain a fort of 50 with smart barrel usage.

I suspect that after a few years of eating nothing but plump helmet, a nice cow lung roast will start to sound tempting.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:14 am »

What I'd like to see is randomized cultural food preferences. So you'd have the occasional civilization of dwarves that refused to touch eyeballs or pancreas, but also some that thought the meat was worthless and inedible.  "Ew, what is this stuff?  Steak? Gimme some brains!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 10:25:40 am »

Actually, this has been mentioned in the to-do list.  There's currently only two types of diet, omnivores and carnivores.  Tigermen are carnivores, and will only eat butchered meat.  Dwarves are omnivores, and eat anything.  Grazers eat grass, but grass isn't an item so it doesn't count here.  There's been suggestions and support for restrictive diet models, like preventing dwarves from eating the remains of evil creatures, and encouraging goblins to eat sentient remains, but until we get some more food control, diet doesn't matter.  They seem to just grab the nearest thing and enjoy it, with some preference to their likes (he prefers to consume dragonfly brain whenever possible).  Dwarves will very happily eat one food their entire lives.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 10:27:37 am »

Actually, this has been mentioned in the to-do list.  There's currently only two types of diet, omnivores and carnivores.  Tigermen are carnivores, and will only eat butchered meat.  Dwarves are omnivores, and eat anything.  Grazers eat grass, but grass isn't an item so it doesn't count here.  There's been suggestions and support for restrictive diet models, like preventing dwarves from eating the remains of evil creatures, and encouraging goblins to eat sentient remains, but until we get some more food control, diet doesn't matter.  They seem to just grab the nearest thing and enjoy it, with some preference to their likes (he prefers to consume dragonfly brain whenever possible).  Dwarves will very happily eat one food their entire lives.

I thought it was both food AND drink that they gets upset about having the same ol thing for months and years on end? Or is just the drinks? I've never tried a monocultured farm long-term fortress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5