Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Raw tags for butchering returns  (Read 6196 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Raw tags for butchering returns
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:21 pm »

It really annoys me that traditional meat animals, like ducks and cavies, can not be butchered for even a single unit of meat, and I'd like to fix that, but can not figure out how.  Is it just a function of size, or is there some tag that I'm not finding?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Raw tags for butchering returns
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »

It's size.  All number of butchering returns depend on size.  That's the difference between Kitten Fat[2] and Elephant Fat[400], size.  You must make the creatures bigger to get more harvestable resources.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:26 pm »

There was a thread where the !!science!! had been done. You need to have a certain size to be able to harvest meat from an animal, up to this size it's skulls only. Remember that A: Juveniles give less/nothing and B: Animals even of a single species vary I think up to around 30% in size.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:38:28 pm »

Somewhat related:

Is there a way to get rid of all the funky offal you get from butchering returns? Meat and fat is fine, brains and lungs are wtf. Feed that to the dogs or something, quit making roasts of the stuff.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »

Somewhat related:

Is there a way to get rid of all the funky offal you get from butchering returns? Meat and fat is fine, brains and lungs are wtf. Feed that to the dogs or something, quit making roasts of the stuff.

Ever eat sausage? Hot dogs? Bologna? Yeah, really nasty when you think about it (so I try not to). Have fun with that thought :).

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:57:16 pm »

Somewhat related:

Ever eat sausage? Hot dogs? Bologna? Yeah, really nasty when you think about it (so I try not to). Have fun with that thought :).

Point taken. I'd like to see the description of a typical generic brand hot-dog in dwarf mode. "This is a well prepared sausage. It is made from well minced cow lung, well minced pig liver, well minced goat hoofs, well minced cow tallow, well minced turkey nervous tissue, ect, ect and well minced soy beans"

Still. At least in a hotdog its ground into a meat-colored uniform paste and mixed with filler. Not like in Dwarf fort where they go straight for a bug heaping plate of cow brains. No. Don't eat that, its disgusting.

They never listen.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:04:54 pm »

Some cultures prize foods we find disgusting. Balut (rotten duck embryo) comes to mind.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:29 pm »

Search the forum for "What is Sweetbread?"  We had a discussion that devolved into "Girlinhat is an idiot because she's a vegetarian" but before that, we uniformly decided "Dwarves are drinking rotten mushrooms out of lead barrels, without mugs.  They can survive a prepared lung for dinner.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »

Dwarven tapas is one of the things from the .31 that excites me most! Don't get me wrong, some of the .... erm .... delicacies are a bit nonsensical, but the devoted chef could have so much fun creating all sorts of cooked meals. Show me another game with an equally bloody expansive list of ingredients, and I'll show you a game sans stone working .... construction .... goblins .... medicine .... so on.

I wish only that herbs and spices were a bit more prominent (mind, not enough to mod the raws or anything) and that food stockpiles weren't so ridiculously time-consuming to manage or organize.

Can't say, Girlinhat, that you earn any dishonor in your war with plantkind. I know a few raw foodists. :)
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:42:46 pm »

Silly, everyone knows that dwarves only ever eat mushrooms!

That being said, ever eat a 100-year egg? Those things are frigging delicious. Even if they do smell like ammonia.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:47:19 pm »

I have a rule not to eat anything that's been on the shelf longer than I've been alive.  This includes a lot of wine and certain cheeses.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:59:29 pm »

See? Dwarves are such decadent and depraved heathens. Every culture in the world has cultural and social mores about about eating random bits of animals. Livers, eyeballs, brains, lungs were typical things people did'nt eat, cats, dogs, lampreys and other nasty animals were never eaten.
Nope. Not dwaves, here are dwarves, happily eating lamprey livers and Crundle Brain Stews.

The humans in DF seem to eat even worse stuff. Human traders keep offering me barrels of large roach ichor and groundhog blood. YUMMY!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:21 pm »

I have a rule not to eat anything that's been on the shelf longer than I've been alive.  This includes a lot of wine and certain cheeses.

They're not actually 100 years old. Just a few weeks or a month, according to a quick google search.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 01:34:35 am »

Good for you, cause that old wine ain't for drinking - it's not even wine anymore.
Anyway, you can probably make your cookery stockpile only accept meat and other proper things, while the eyeballs and such get hauled to a remote atomsmashing stockpile. Or you could mod the animals not to have eyes nore brains, but that's stupid.

See? Dwarves are such decadent and depraved heathens. Every culture in the world has cultural and social mores about about eating random bits of animals. Livers, eyeballs, brains, lungs were typical things people did'nt eat, cats, dogs, lampreys and other nasty animals were never eaten.
Nope. Not dwaves, here are dwarves, happily eating lamprey livers and Crundle Brain Stews.
NEWSFLASH: not everybody lives off hotdogs and hamburgers.

Some cultures prize foods we find disgusting. Balut (rotten duck embryo) comes to mind.
Oh god, that takes the rotten beefcake of punitive culinary. Maggot cheese? Earth-rotten deer meat? No competition.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:38:06 am by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 02:21:55 am »

It's boiled duck embryo, not rotten.

But yeah.  It's kinda gross. 
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5