Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gamersgate to offer games for free?  (Read 3391 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Gamersgate to offer games for free?
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:42:56 am »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/14/gamesgate-explain-freegames/

A short advertisement in exchange for free games?  This seems doomed to failure, but I'll be watching with interest.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gamersgate to offer games for free?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:55:49 am »

It seems doomed to dominate Steam, more like.

They'd be better off if they had an overlay and community like Steam, but oh well.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:58:12 am »

Sounds like Lockerz for gamers.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:47:27 am »

Sounds pretty reasonable, even if only to try out games before we buy them... if they offer more recent games. If not - sorry mates :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:04:16 am »

They'd be better off if they had an overlay and community like Steam, but oh well.
Oh god no, the lack of facegame is why I usually use gamersgate.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:22:04 pm »

Really?  I guess I'm just a little sceptical of the actual revenue generating potential of this.  Say a new game comes out for £40.  Am I really going to watch £40 worth of advertisements?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:26:26 pm »

Really?  I guess I'm just a little sceptical of the actual revenue generating potential of this.  Say a new game comes out for £40.  Am I really going to watch £40 worth of advertisements?

Yes. Turn your volume down. Minimize the window/open a different tab. Do this all day and free game.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:39:43 pm »

Yes. Turn your volume down. Minimize the window/open a different tab. Do this all day and free game.

In before quick-time events during commercials...

You have 3 seconds to answer this question to verify you are not a bot: 55/2.6... beep...beep...beep...
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »

Yeah, okay, you got me there.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 01:57:11 pm »

Not quite what I meant.  If (as stated) there is only a short advert to watch when starting up a game, how many times would I need to boot this up to have watched enough adverts for GG to fairly charge the advertiser £40 for?

Google Adwords seem to charge advertisers around £0.01 per click.  Assusming that is standard, I would need to start up each individual game 4000 times for GG to make their £40.  That's not gonna happen.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »

Pay a bit more attention to the article; It's looking like you'll be limited to 5 a month, and it isn't their entire cataloge you can choose from.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:03:10 pm »

Pay a bit more attention to the article; It's looking like you'll be limited to 5 a month, and it isn't their entire cataloge you can choose from.

I never stated otherwise.  That 4000 times playing estimate was per game.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 02:15:17 pm »

Something tells me it isn't the big 40E titles that will be available. 5E indie titles? Sure. But not the big leagues.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:56 pm »

Note that Gamersgate is owned by a publisher (Paradox) - and frankly it doesn't REALLY cost them anything but bandwidth to get you their games - so they don't NEED to show you the full retail price of the game in ads - they just need to give you enough ads to make it worth their while - bandwidth + a bit extra. Anything above the cost of bandwidth is profit they wouldn't normally get unless somebody paid full price for their game.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »

Note that Gamersgate is owned by a publisher (Paradox) - and frankly it doesn't REALLY cost them anything but bandwidth to get you their games - so they don't NEED to show you the full retail price of the game in ads - they just need to give you enough ads to make it worth their while - bandwidth + a bit extra. Anything above the cost of bandwidth is profit they wouldn't normally get unless somebody paid full price for their game.
Gamersgate hasn't been owned by paradox for a while, actually. I'm pretty certain it split a while back.
Pages: [1] 2