Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: 8BitMMO (construction sandbox mmo)  (Read 15030 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 8BitMMO (2D Building/Combat multiplayer game)
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 06:58:49 pm »

I think part of the problem might be that swords deconstruct blocks. People run around swinging their sword for whatever, and suddenly, holes.
Theres the ground that gets pierced, too.
Once again, swords. Notice most of the dark dirt is around Cat5 Cables. Someone destroys one block w/o sword, and then it expands from using the sword, trying to kill the lawyer cats.
This.

I tried the game earlier and the only way to kill the cats without actually dying yourself would be just madly swinging your sword around. Dug my fair share of ground that way. Removing (or at least requiring multiple swings) the sword digging would help, I guess.

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 09:02:56 pm »

Good point guys.  Long term, I want to make it so tiles take multiple hits to be damaged, but for the short term, I've disabled damage on them entirely.  Let's see what that does
8BitMMO, a WIP multiplayer game of fighting & building: Forum ThreadPlay In Browser

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »

Alright, S5 is done!  Here's the big new features:

• Lighting!
  • Grief protection - The previous change was not enough to prevent griefing, so now you can only pick up items that belong to you (or have no owner).  You also can not build in the same tile as someone else.
  • Roads - travel 2x as fast
  • Signs - Press E to read.  Type /sign <your message goes here> while next to a sign to set the message.
  • Doors - Press E to open.  Comes in two varieties, yellow handle doors that allow everyone entry, and red handled doors that only admit the owner.
  • IRC integration - you can idle in irc.editingarchive.com #8bit and chat back and forth between players in-game
  • Password reset via e-mail (only if you registered with an e-mail address)
  • Right sidebar displays latest news & relevant links
  • Facebook / twitter feeds set up
  • New, faster world renderer
  • Gold can be picked up and is now correctly added to money instead of going into inventory
  • Lots of misc bug fixes & performance improvements
Known issues:
  • Lighting doesn't recalculate when the world changes
  • Signs in some tiles are hard to read (for now, just place in another tile next to it)
  • In-world text (text shown over players & npcs) looks like butt.  :P
Please give it a go and let me know your thoughts in this thread -- everyone's feedback has already been super helpful and much appreciated!  :)
8BitMMO, a WIP multiplayer game of fighting & building: Forum ThreadPlay In Browser

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 08:41:50 pm »

Ooh, lighting!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »

Yeah!  :D  Quite excited I was able to write my own lighting system actually, and I think it helps a lot with seeing what height objects are

Also, just found a bug - if you die and get stuck on a black screen, type /home.  I will be looking into this bug
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:10:31 pm by Sim9 »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 12:07:52 am »

Just got in to have a look and as I said in game, its a real cool concept!
Hope to see it getting developed :)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 05:11:18 am »

So... When'll the server be back up?

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »

Gabeux:  Thanks!

Supercharazad:  Sorry, working on it right now.  Will post back here when it's online :)

edit:  Now Online!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:33:39 pm by Sim9 »

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »

This has been a crazy past couple of months!  I no longer have my day job, which means at least for right now I'm a full-time indie, working on this 100% -- which honestly is equal parts awesome and terrifying.  ;)

Anyway, here's the big updates to the game:
  • Edge shading - it's now easier to see Z-levels because I've written a little outline around each one
  • Performance - shadows generate faster, framerate is much higher than previous, and numerous other fixes and improvements
  • Trailer - I made one!  I made it before edge shading though, so it doesn't show that yet.
  • RPG Dialog Boxes - Signs now show up in RPG style dialog box.  This will also be used for NPC chatter once I finish up Quests
  • Easier Use Key - Pressing 'e' to use signs or doors is easier, you no longer have to look at those objects
  • Less crashy - I've fixed a slew of crash bugs, both client and server side.  Much more stable now.

As always, check it out at http://8bit.vg, and let me know any requests you have :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 09:00:33 pm »

Glitch... Must stay lawyercat!!! GAHHH!!!

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »

Sorry, there seems to be an issue with using swords... I just rebooted the server, and it seems to work again now, but I'm not sure why it would glitch out like that.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:07 pm »

I love it but building makes my mind asplode. Keep up the great work!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 02:01:39 am »

Hmm, I think it would be nice if you added some new types of decorative walls, floor and roof. For example, right now you have that very nice blue carpet, so a similar red and green would be awesome. Maybe different coloured walls and roof as well. It would mostly come down to colour swaps on the sprites, so hopefully this is an easy one.

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 02:09:02 am »

Good idea Max -- I might tie these into the upcoming quests system as rewards.  IE, complete this quest, unlock these X new items
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6