Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: 8BitMMO (construction sandbox mmo)  (Read 15028 times)

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
8BitMMO (construction sandbox mmo)
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:14:17 am »

8BitMMO is an 8bit-style 2D massively multiplayer game! Fight evil Lawyercats and engage in player vs player battle. Build a home or a castle in a persistent streaming world. Early in development, but fully playable.  Please enjoy and let me know your feedback :)

Update 12/28/12: All the latest & greatest updates are encapsulated in this blog post.  Check it out for a quick update

Update 1/3/12: The new user tutorial has been released!  It is my hope the new starting sequence is more fun and easier to understand.  Please give it a go, and let me know your thoughts.

I am also providing ten free codes - these will give you 250 gold in-game (equivalent to killing & looting 250 LawyerCats).  To redeem one of the codes, just type /redeem CODEHERE in the chat window.

Code: [Select]
BAY12FORUMS-1
BAY12FORUMS-2
BAY12FORUMS-3
BAY12FORUMS-4
BAY12FORUMS-5
BAY12FORUMS-6
BAY12FORUMS-7
BAY12FORUMS-8
BAY12FORUMS-9
BAY12FORUMS-10

View the Trailer

Play the game

original post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:18:14 am by Sim9 »
8BitMMO, a WIP multiplayer game of fighting & building: Forum ThreadPlay In Browser

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 8BitMMO (2D Building/Combat multiplayer game)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:16:44 am »

Man, this is really awesome! Nice and simplistic, of course I can tell its a very early build, but overall I really like it. Really want to see you take this somewhere!

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:36:04 am »

I played around a bit on it and I really think that this game has a lot of potential. I'm just going to rehash what I already said on the server but, it definitely needs a lighting system or you very easily run into "Escher problems" with depth. Blocks going invisible when you're behind them would also be helpful and a line of sight of some sort so you can't see into houses when you stand under their balcony. >.> Anyways, I took some screens of the "most advanced building yet" that I made. Here they are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EDIT: Oh, and you can use your inventory window "through" the store window.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:40:09 am by Thendash »
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:07:07 am »

It's actually pretty well made.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »

I can't seem to make it work. Whenever I press the finish button for the registration page, it just shows the message "please wait" and stays that way.
Nothing important here, move along.

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:18 pm »

Hey, what api/wrapper did you use to make this?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:10:04 pm »

Looks pretty neat.
Edit: I'm stuck on signup as well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:18:05 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

raalph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:51 pm »

Stuck on signup too.

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »

Thanks for playing last night, it was really amazing to have a bunch of people on and see people enjoying it! :D

Rex_Nex & breadbocks - thanks!

Thendash - thanks for posting screens and making an awesome building!  I agree it's challenging to differentiate the z-levels right now, and I think lighting will make a big improvement there.

Gimhalos - I made it using c++, java, mysql, and protobuf

TheBronzePickle, Aklyon, raalph - the server was down, I've now rebooted it after (hopefully) fixing the issue which made it crash.  I also made it so people can't steal the npc spawners ;)
8BitMMO, a WIP multiplayer game of fighting & building: Forum ThreadPlay In Browser

Cyahnidde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »

Pretty cool little game you got so far. I'll be PMing you sometime soon with art samples, Sim9.
Good luck on the project.

Edit:
It's down again.  :-\

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »

Pretty cool little game you got so far. I'll be PMing you sometime soon with art samples, Sim9.
Good luck on the project.
I'd expected Deon to say this first, but hey, more art is more art.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:47:21 pm »

Most likely I had accidentally stolen the world when I stole the grass.
Hello Hunam

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »

Oh yeah. If you wander north-ish enough, you end up in this huge white area surrounded by grass.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:50:45 pm »

Hell it's everywhere if you go far in one direction. Apparently someone beat me to the grass there.
Hello Hunam

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:55:41 pm »

Thanks guys!  Looks like there is one more crash I need to fix in networking.  I'm going to take a look at it and will post back here when it's fixed and back up (probably will take more than just tonight)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6