Poll

What is our next project?

Helm's Deep (LOTR) style wall
The Bridges of Flinging
Underground Labyrinth
Second Aquifer Breach
Post in topic

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Soon to have a Circus!~~ -Spoony's Turn-  (Read 30665 times)

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Candy Cane Cliff~~ -Spoony's Turn-
« Reply #240 on: July 04, 2011, 06:24:05 pm »

Actually, I fixed the problem by putting Cages with hens in them in the room.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

First of Limestone, Autumn, year 8
I have decided to postpone digging deeper until alll of the currently qeued adamantine crafts are made.
In other news, I have designated more workshop area to be dug out in the adamantine craftin area, so we shall be able to extract adamantine strands and smelt them into wafers faster.
And the metalworkers have stopped annoying me about "mismatched Armor" and let me wear my adamantine greaves.
Second of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The weather has died down and the humans have stopped complaining.
Thank Armok.
Also, it seems as if the miners are having a hard time grasping that the zombies bugbats are on the opposite side of the wall, and cannot hurt them.
Third of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The sculpture garden only needs three more statues to be made and placed, then it will be finished! Hopefully we shall se more parties around these gloomy granite halls.
(gloomy is an immense understatement, 9 out of every ten dwarves in this fort are ecstatic.)
Fourth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
I noticed a handful of dwarves complaining about not having beds, so I ordered large rooms to be dug out and beds to be made. Hopefully, by the end of the year, we'll have a bedroom for every dwarf.
Also, the situation in the cavern isn't as bad now. Most of the water had dried up now, and trenches have been dug around the aquifier.
Fifth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
Some dwarves were a little late to getting the message that we'd finished trading with the humans, and brought some boulders of raw adamantine up to trade. The traders stood in awe for several minutes while Conan made his way back up the to depot to trade again.
I also removed Conan from the Militia, and instead appointed him as captain of the guard. Along with him I also employed some dwarves who complained that they had no job to work as the guard.
Sixth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
Now Conan is demanding to have a office, dining room, and bedroom that is fit for a captain of the guard.
The demands weren't extravagant, so I complied, but made a mental note to not let the power go to his head.
Nineth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
Work on mining our the Barracks for the guard, and bedrooms has begun. Hopefully our miners will work quickly. We also traded a boulder of raw adamantine for the rest of the human's stock today.
Tenth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The two adamantine picks were finished today! Both of them have yet to be claimed though...
The barracks still hasn't been mined out, but Conan's rooms are coming along well...
One more statue until the sculpture garden is finished...
Eleventh of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The humans are still here. We;ve traded for everything they have and yet they are still sitting in the trade depot, strangely. Conan's rooms are almost fully smoothed now, and work on mining out the barracks has begun.
Twelth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
Work on mining out the two rooms so that there are more beda availible has started. Though I must say, those rooms are not very high on my priority at the moment.
Squid still doesn't think his room is good enough, so I decide to put some of the cages we got from the elves in there to shut him up. I do the same for conan, since setting up a cage and stuffing animals in there seems to greatly increase the value of the room.
Thirteenth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The metalsmiths approached me today, and suggested that we dig for magma and power the forges with it, instead of burning all the wood we have. The idea was reasonable, so I told the miners to mine further downwards. Later, the second adamantine breastplate was forged. A gem cutter, who I assume is part of the guard told me he was picking up his equiment, and I figured that he was claiming the breastplate, but then I noticed he was running UP the stairs and not down them. I couldn't help but wonder what he was getting.
Fourteenth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
One of the miners informed me that there were at least three layers of marble under out feet, which we could used to make steel, if we had the fuel and some iron. Because of this, I figured it was worth much more then other stones. Perhaps we should be crafting amrble instead of granite?
Also, the guard's barracks has been fully mined out...
I made sure some armor stands and weapon rack were made, along with coffers for the barracks.
Fifteenth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
It seems putting cages full of hens in his room made squid shut up.
Sixteenth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The miners have hit semi-molten rock, with means Magma can't be too far away!
Seventeenth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The final statue for the statue garden is complete! Now it just needs to be moved to the statue garden...
Nineteenth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The merchants finally left today, and almost directly after they did, the miners hit warm stone...
Twentieth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
I was interrupted on my way down to the mines with news that Conan had made a masterpeice.
Turns out he'd made and extremely well crafted bed in the carpenters workshop.
I checked in witht he metalsmiths today, all that we need to smelt is a pair of adamantine gauntlets for Conan, and High Boots for both Conan and I.
Twenty First of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
Conan created another masterpeice bed today, and everybody feels the need to tell me, apparently, because every time he creates a masterpeice bed, a messenger comes to my office and tells me. It's rather annoying, frankly.
Farmerbob met with me today and told me that he had refused to mine a tunnel because the stone he was supposed to mine was warm. I told him to check to see if there is magam under the warm stone.
Soon, we may be able to use wood for things other than charcoal.
Twenty Second of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
Another goblin snatcher was spotted today. The caravan guards killed it almost immediatly, though. Almost all of the water in the cavern is gone now, hopefully by next month there will be no trace of the incident.
Twenty Third of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
The miners discovered a great magma sea today. Also inside the sea was another pillar of adamantine. I traced the spire upwards, and started mining towards where it might be located... what I hadn't heard the messenger say is that we had mined into the side of the magma sea. the miner Jeffery nearly died. Luckily he was smart enough to drop all of his clothes that had caught fire and run out of the tunnel.
Twenty Fourth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
More progress on the barracks today. The whole place is smoothed and has all the armor stands it needs.
Twenty Fifth of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8

A giant arrived today, as the militia and I charged after it, I was further behind then the rest, and watched as the attacks from the militia barely harmed it through it's fat. Luckily, the militia are much too quick for the brute, and it can't land a blow on any of them without missing. I was able to keep up the giant, and gave it a couple whacks ans it charged straight through our line of stonefall traps. Eventually the giant gave up and fainted in our entrance, so the militia formed a circle in it and took turns attacking the beast's head. One of the spear weilders eventually shattered the skull, and tore the monster's brain, killing it.
Twenty Seventh of Limestone, Autumn, Year 8
Most of the furniture for the Barracks is complete. Only one more coffer needs to be completed and it will be done. For some reason the miners feel the need to inform me about every Urist of stone that is warm. Obviously they lack the deduction skills to figure out that stone that is  above magma is bound to be warm.

(Of course, printscreen malfunctioned and caught some of the DF:MP steam chat.)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2011, 09:20:30 pm »

We took down a semi-mega beast with manpower?!

We are awesome. Also, don't assign me to CotG because I want adamantine weapons which will tear apart any dwarf during a beating. Unless you assign a jail.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »

We took down a semi-mega beast with dwarfpower?!

We are awesome. Also, don't assign me to CotG because I want adamantine weapons which will tear apart any dwarf during a beating. Unless you assign a jail.

fixed it for you  ;D it's amazing how well a dwarven dog pile works.

and what about an adamantine war hammer/ mace? won't exactly tear things to shreds, probably a good thing for CotG, but it'll still give you a candy weapon to beat criminals with.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2011, 10:48:09 pm »

A useless candy weapon. Save it for the needed stuff.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 06, 2011, 01:45:37 am »

Me, me! Take me to guards!
With dagger, of course  8)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:31 am »

We took down a semi-mega beast with manpower?!

Well, the stonefall traps bruised it all over, which may have contributed to it giving in to pain. But yeah.
The Giant gave in to pain and then our militia dog piled on top of it and beat it to death.
It appears as if all those individual combat drills that have kept them from doing useful things have actually paid off.
Actually we already have 5 cages/chains for justice according to the justice screen, but I don't know where the heck they are.
We took down a semi-mega beast with dwarfpower?!

fixed it for you  ;D it's amazing how well a dwarven dog pile works.

and what about an adamantine war hammer/ mace? won't exactly tear things to shreds, probably a good thing for CotG, but it'll still give you a candy weapon to beat criminals with.
This might actually be a good idea, if it weren't for the fact that the Hammerdwarves in the military will probably claim it before Conan claims it/gets it assigned to him.
A useless candy weapon. Save it for the needed stuff.
Actually, we have two candy tubes that we could mine out now, because I discovered another tube in the magma sea. We are literally rolling in adamantine.
Me, me! Take me to guards!
With dagger, of course  8)
If you're going to be the captain of the guard there's no way you're getting adamantine weapons. Adamantine weapons turn public beatings into public executions. You could have a Billon dagger, though.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2011, 10:07:43 am »

If you're going to be the captain of the guard there's no way you're getting adamantine weapons. Adamantine weapons turn public beatings into public executions. You could have a Billon dagger, though.
Well, I would be fine even with silver dagger left from unlucky thief. Did you mod billon into weapon metal? And did you mod dwarfs to make daggers?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:28 am »

We could do it just once.

Also, if we have that much candy make 20 or so sets of full armor. Any left, make a full-adamantine statue room.

Just be careful though when mining out those tubes...

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2011, 02:46:02 pm »

This might actually be a good idea, if it weren't for the fact that the Hammerdwarves in the military will probably claim it before Conan claims it/gets it assigned to him.

just set the militia hammerdwarves to equip "Silver* Warhammer / Mace" and set the fortress guard to equip "Candy Warhammer / Mace"

i'm pretty sure they'll be able to figure it out on their own.

*the initial hammers were made of iron, you should upgrade to silver ASAP
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »

Well, I would be fine even with silver dagger left from unlucky thief. Did you mod billon into weapon metal? And did you mod dwarfs to make daggers?
No I did not.
Look's like you'll have to have a silver dagger if we get lucky with tetrahedrite
We could do it just once.

Also, if we have that much candy make 20 or so sets of full armor. Any left, make a full-adamantine statue room.

Just be careful though when mining out those tubes...
Both of the tunnels to the tubes can be cut off with the pull of a lever.

just set the militia hammerdwarves to equip "Silver* Warhammer / Mace" and set the fortress guard to equip "Candy Warhammer / Mace"

i'm pretty sure they'll be able to figure it out on their own.

*the initial hammers were made of iron, you should upgrade to silver ASAP
Once we manage to get another magma smelter mined out, it'll be set to smelting the tetrahedrite 24/7

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2011, 08:02:24 pm »

If time is not of the greatest importance, can always just smooth and then make fortifications out of adamantine walls till you find the hollow cores?  I am not 100% certain, but I don't think any demon types can bypass or destroy natural stone fortifications.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:44 pm »

Building destroyers can't destroy any forms of constructions(b->c), period.

Also, that would be smart and train engravers too.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2011, 10:16:07 pm »

Bah! engravings! fortifications!? real dwarves dig blindly until it's too late!

EDIT: while the clowns can't directly pass through fortifications, fireballs/deadly dust can. plus then we get even more of an FPS drain as hundreds of them try to path their way into the fort.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:42:48 pm by andyman564 »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2011, 10:59:34 pm »

I still think fortifications are good since this is only the third year and we don't want the fortress to die that fast, right?

Just be careful around it. Demons take a while to move around, of course. They might be fast, but losing one miner won't be that bad. Just don't let it be spoony.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18