Poll

What is our next project?

Helm's Deep (LOTR) style wall
The Bridges of Flinging
Underground Labyrinth
Second Aquifer Breach
Post in topic

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Soon to have a Circus!~~ -Spoony's Turn-  (Read 30690 times)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~No stone is sad fortress~~ -Save up-
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2011, 12:08:43 am »

Don't have to be so pissy about it kilo  >:(

I'll get it done when I can, okay? Just give me a week. I'll have something presentable by Friday or sooner.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2011, 12:41:24 am »

I was just wondering about the status of it.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2011, 04:11:11 pm »

OOC: the only reason i'm sealing up the aquifer leaks is so my FPS doesn't die as much, with two sources capped (can't spread very far) i'm now getting around 13-15 FPS, still very low, but better than 9.

I believe that sealing them up doesn't do squat about pathfinding.

pathfinding isn't the issue here, it's the massive amounts of FLOWING water, so capped aquifer sources = less flowing water = better FPS.

Floor over the main stockade if you can, to stop flyers
WHOOT! operation roof-o-matic is a go!

Also, our two man military is extremely effective

no doubt about effectiveness.... just so many migrants.....
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »

Wait so you're sealing the water source? That spells "B" "A" "D" because now those zombie cave alligators won't be impeded by an outward flow.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »

Wait so you're sealing the water source? That spells "B" "A" "D" because now those zombie cave alligators won't be impeded by an outward flow.
If he doesn't it'll spell out "L" "A" "G" for him. (See what I did there?)
I would rather we get updates of dwarfs holding off against zombie alligators quickly, then get updates of dwarfs doing normal dwarf things (Catching fire, starving to death, throwing tantrums, etc.) slowly.
Plus that would actually be pretty interesting.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »

From the Diary of Inod Komra

12th Hematite

Two more springs capped today, i hope that's the last of them. i've laid out plans to secure a sizable area of the caverns. i hope the walls are constructed quickly, something smells rotten down there and i'd rather not find out what.

The new sets of bone and leather armor i've commissioned are nearly complete, i've told the military to switch their uniforms at once. hell, even that wooden armor we nabbed from the elves is better than plain leather.

22nd Hematite

i was informed today that migrants were spotted trekking towards us. damn, now i have to go out in the cold again... i was also told that Spoony had mobilized the militia against a herd of Zombie Muskoxen in the path of the migrants. i watched as Spoony and Conan led the charge, the rest of the militia close behind. there was a great flurry of action, weapons swinging every which way, and great clouds of dust as the zombies disintegrated under the force of the onslaught. Another victory! and with no injury to any dwarf!

in the confusion, nobody quite knew who killed what, and with no corpses for analysis they all agreed to let the kills go unclaimed.

24th Hematite

13 completely useless migrants diary, that makes 48 of us in here now, it's getting really cramped. a couple have some military skill, but we don't have the resources to arm and armor another squad. i've drafted them all into the mason's guild. i've got a few projects that i plan on doing and i'll need every helping hand i can get.

28th Hematite

ugh, so that's what stinks down here! there's a zombie troll to the west of our walls, the stench is so bad that the workers constructing the upper layer of walls came running back, hacking and coughing, refusing to work. i told them to get their sorry asses back up on that wall or i'd let them have a little face time with the troll. the remainder of the day can can pretty much be summed up by this conversation journal:

"ARGH! A TROLL! OH ARMOK THE SMELL!"

"back to work!"

"ok boss"

"made some progress boss, ARGH A TROLL! OH ARMOK THE SMELL!"

really diary, when are they going to realize that while the troll is scary (and smelly), it can't hurt them?

9th Malachite

with the caverns secure i've started operation roof-o-matic. roofs will be installed over the front gate and over the aquifer breaching pit, i'm also relocating the barracks to within the gatehouse. i've given the go ahead to complete the mining operation, we're going to need the extra stone.

20th malachite

long time no write diary, things are going smoothly.... well most things, alcohol production which is still lacking, has kept our drink stores at the critical level. anyways i've had enough free time to draw out the plans for the true fortress.

Plans for Lower Uristildom

The present dig site will be our future storage area

the level directly under the future storage room will house the future workshops

the level below that will contain the bedrooms and a new dining area. the stairwell shaft extends for a few more levels down, and can be dug even deeper.

i also plan to relocate the farms into the upper caverns, no use walking all the way up to the soon-to-be Upper Uristildom to plant crops.

9th Galena

the roofs are complete, and the miners have started mining out the workshop level, but with only two picks the going is slow.

Part 3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:40:13 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2011, 12:42:17 am »

Good to hear things have quieted down, more or less. I was pretty worried about the fort for the first year...all that ice and water sounded miserable. Though I don't like the sound of zombie-crocs much either. If the fort holds on, it's going to get really interesting with Elves and Goblins and Crocs all gunning for us :D
Foldedlens -- 1004

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2011, 10:40:14 am »

Don't forget about that zombie cave swallow!

And nice layout there, only thing I have to criticize about that is the proximity of beds to the dining area; a dwarf eating is as loud as a workshop if I am correct. Also, its quite far underground and I bet the last thing we need is cave-adapted military and masons or we can't make surface walls to defend ourselves.

Machinesquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2011, 11:43:57 am »

Also, its quite far underground and I bet the last thing we need is cave-adapted military and masons or we can't make surface walls to defend ourselves.

Not a problem if we seal ourselves in! ;)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2011, 01:48:01 pm »

Uh...

That is an option but it reduces some potential !!FUN!!. We are at war with the gobbos, remember.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:28 pm »

Also, its quite far underground and I bet the last thing we need is cave-adapted military and masons or we can't make surface walls to defend ourselves.

Not a problem if we seal ourselves in! ;)

which is now possible thanks to the improved gatehouse.

right now i'm really hoping that the humans bring weapons and picks... and alcohol...
Don't forget about that zombie cave swallow!

And nice layout there, only thing I have to criticize about that is the proximity of beds to the dining area; a dwarf eating is as loud as a workshop if I am correct. Also, its quite far underground and I bet the last thing we need is cave-adapted military and masons or we can't make surface walls to defend ourselves.

the cave swallow seems contented with hovering over the exact same spot.... weird. and I just checked the wiki, workshops don't produce any noise (yet) and eating produces so little noise that it usually dissipates before reaching the next room.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2011, 01:56:41 pm »

wait what.

when did that happen?

EDIT: Okay, cool. Make tree farms underground too.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »

From the Diary of Inod Komra

27th Galena

Our alcohol reserves have surpassed 100 Urists! Huzzah! we don't have to ration out drink anymore! i've congratulated the brewers personally and told them to keep up the good work.

1st Limestone

Summer has passed without any visits from the humans... crap, i was hoping they'd find us and bring some weapons and picks. now we have to wait until the dwarven caravan arrives to expand our miner's guild.

5th Limestone

with one quarter of the workshop area dug out, Farmerbob decided it was time to dig out some proper sleeping quarters, and i don't blame him. i'm tired of sharing a bed with 47 others.

20th Limestone

the alcohol crisis is finally over diary. we now have over 240 urists of drink, and that number is steadily rising.

i've had floor hatches placed over the stairs leading down from the gatehouse. if the bridge can't close in time, then we can lock these ourselves.

we've also placed two pressure plates in the hallway leading to the pit. we've linked these with the dog cage and calibrated them to go off if anything bigger than an insect steps on it. i'm having the dogs trained to attack hostiles upon sighting them.

this trap is our last line of defense. if any goblins get past the pack of bloodthirsty hounds, then Lower Uristildom will be theirs for the taking.

7th Sandstone

Today we started moving into Lower Uristildom. first to be moved is the food stockpile, the furniture and finished goods will be next, followed by wood and bar/block pile. last to move will be the animal, cloth, leather and and gem stockpiles. the armor, weapon and ammo stockpiles will be left in Upper Uristildom.

after the stockpiles will come the workshops, the furnishing of the long overdue bedrooms will be done at this point as well.

18th Sandstone

the moving is going well journal, we've got over half the supplies into Lower Uristildom now.

20th Sandstone

Spoony came running to me today, told me that he had spotted some migrants, it's still cold outside, but at least i have a roof to stand under now.

eight more diary, eight useless migrants, three of which were jewelers, another two fishery workers... Armok damn it, why on earth would a fishery worker come here!? we don't even HAVE fish! at least the moving will get done a bit faster.

i've also told the Farmerbob to dig out a control room directly under the new dining hall. i'll be moving the bridge lever here when it's done.

24th Sandstone

Today Farmerbob suddenly dropped his pick and started speaking gibberish! i think the spirit of the original Komra is pleased with our progress and has come to reward the one dwarf who has worked the hardest to achieve said progress.

he ran to one of the mason's workshops and kicked out one of my apprentices! he then ran about and collected three lumps of granite before beginning his construction, all the while muttering "Raltogum".

2nd Timber

Today Farmerbob triumphantly emerged from "his" workshop and held up the hatch cover and exclaimed "RALTOGUM!"

Ah, there's nothing quite like renewing the memory of our kings ascension to power. and those spikes are brilliant! i'm installing this marvel in the new dining room, to seal up the control room staircase. unfortunately, Since it was Komra's spirit at work, not Farmerbob's, he didn't learn a thing about masonry and goes around like nothing ever happened.

11th Timber

Move complete, Lower Uristildom is now operational, limited, but operational. Diary, don't tell the others but i've claimed one of those four room suites for myself, i'm having it smoothed down as i write. what? can't an overseer get a little luxury around here!?

i've assigned Tobul to the other suite, she seems to need the peace and quiet to help her concentrate on the records.

Part 4
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:25:57 pm by andyman564 »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2011, 10:41:28 am »

I've noticed that Tobul never really spends time doing bookkeeping work. Is that an actual "job" they will appear to do on the units screen or is it passive?

Anyways, here's my first completed picture. I didn't plan it out that well, otherwise I'd have put the cliff edge higher.

Spoiler: Hand drawn, scanned in (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I only spent 30-40 minutes on this, so it's probably not perfect. If you tell me exactly what's wrong I can fix it in the final draft.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »

I love it! My only reccomendation is to make Spoony's beard a bit less straight. Other than that, it's really great!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18