Poll

What is our next project?

Helm's Deep (LOTR) style wall
The Bridges of Flinging
Underground Labyrinth
Second Aquifer Breach
Post in topic

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Soon to have a Circus!~~ -Spoony's Turn-  (Read 30675 times)

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Damn aquifers!~~ -Save up-
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »

I'll post an update tomorrow, as my internet gets cut off in about 2 minutes.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2011, 10:18:28 pm »

"...struck the vein wall but once, and declared he knew the exact layout of the whole deposit."

Did you use DFHack's reveal? Or what?

Also, that FB was neat. Luckily for you, it came on the second last month so you still got to finish your turn  :P

We're going to need a bigger military...

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2011, 10:28:32 pm »

"...struck the vein wall but once, and declared he knew the exact layout of the whole deposit."

Did you use DFHack's reveal? Or what?

Also, that FB was neat. Luckily for you, it came on the second last month so you still got to finish your turn  :P

We're going to need a bigger military...

i don't use DFreveal on succession forts, too cheaty.  Dfvdig just saves a me ton of time, by designating the entire vein for mining. i hate having to check every five minutes to see if there's more stuff to be mined out.

and i'm sure that the military is big enough, we're just poorly equipped, AND it has deadly dust.  :o
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:33:19 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2011, 07:42:40 am »

First of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Today, Komra dumped his job as overseer onto me.
I shouldn't say dumped, as I agreed with it.
That was one of the many problems I shall fix during my time as overseer.
Along with my newfound job came some dirty papers, with statistics that looked as if they'd been crossed out and correct over the course of the two years that this fort has seen.

The very first thing I ordered was four statues for my new office. And no pansy elf statues either, statues of war and bloodshed.
Next, I asked around to find this forgotten beast everyone was making a fuss about. Unfortunately, I was informed it had left the area.
After that, I discoverwed that we had no plant supplies.
And many rooms in the upper fortress that could be used as farm plots.
Let me tell you, after starving in a pit for a few days, you begin to value food more and more.

Second of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Today, several dwarves came to my offices and told me there was no work available for them.
I told them that it was too bad that tonight was badgercarp baby night, and to go do masonry work or farming.

We have many more engravers and masons now.

Later I noticed how undefended we were against invaders.
I designated some walls and stonefall traps to be built to extend our entrance, as we do not have supplies for weapon traps.
Fifth of Granite, Spring, Year 9
Today I contemplated digging a hole to the cavern from the surface, but realized that such a task would likely mean many deaths due to aquafier. Unfortunately, this means that our walled off section of the cavern will eventually flood....
A ordered a stairway downward built in the cavern, leading to a large room for water collection.
If that room fails I will have a 3 by 3 area leading out to the flooded area of the cavern, which water will flow through via water pressure.
Sixth of Granite, Spring, Year 8
My previous plan has run into a snag.
Damp stone was located.
Luckily, no dwarves were injured.
Seventh of Granite, Spring. Year 8
I think Komra may be bitter at my new position.
Seven days ago I ordered my office to have its walls and floor engraved.
Komra has engraved flies on the walls of my office, knowing full well that I ABSOLUTELY DETEST THEM.

Luckily, if need be, my Lover, Tobul, the manager, will most likely let me use her office.

Other engravings include deities that I DO NOT worship looking offended.

Also, I moved Komra office and quarters across the hallway, so Tobul's office and quarters could be next to mine.
Eighth of Granite, Spring, Year 8
I have ordered the previous mining operation to extend for eighteen more Urists downwards.
Nineth of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Mining operation finished, mining another 20 Urists downwards.
Tenth Granite Spring, Year 8
Today I discover that my current room is little more then a crack in the wall with a bed in it.
I designated mining for a room for Tobul and I deep underground, where a miner SHOULD be.
Twelth of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Today I was told that we had struck milk opal, and I considered mining it to use in crafts and furniture, then I went to investigate, and discovered that It was in my future quarters.
Fourteenth of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Mining operation complete, mining down ten additional Urists.
Sixteenth of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Mining complete againt, going 10 Urists deeper.
Nineteenth of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Granite.
It's all just granite.
Granite all the way down, it appears.
We've mined around 30 Urists downward, and yet, we are only getting granite.
I've ordered the miners to dig until they are 100 urists below ground level.
There, I shall mine out a tomb truly fit for a miner.
Twentith of Granite, Spring, Year 8
Another cavern has been hit, along with raw adamantine.
Of course, the only adamantine in sight is a tiny glimpse of a ledge made of the marvelous blue metal.
Screw the tomb, I shall get Adamantine.

Suddenly, I catch word that a miner has refused to mine due to a nearby zombie bugbat.
I check my list of sighted monsters, and sure enough, there are many undead subterranian creatures in this new cavern.

Later, I get a message that my good friend and comrade Conan has withdrawn from society....

Twenty Second of Granite, Spring, Year 8
After wandering through the fortress overnight, Conan seems to have made his way to a carpenters workshop, and is now walking about claiming materials to make some strange and my
sterious construction.
Twenty Third of Granite, Spring, year 8
After toiling very hard for a day gathering materials, Conan has begun constructing something.
Twenty Fourth Granite, Spring, Year 8
I station the new recruits down in the mines to take care of zombie bugbats.
Twenty Seventh Granite, Spring, Year 8
Another Forgotten Beast has appeared in the caverns, hopefully the two terrible titans will fight each other and solve the problem.

Also, Conan finished his construction...

(And on that bombshell, it's time to end the update.)
(Also, looks like my turn gets cut short  :()
(And is it possible to sign up for another turn?)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:45:57 am by A Spoony Bard »

Jeffery

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:troll]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:43 am »

Hey, would I be able to join this Sucesssion Game?

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:25 am »

Sure! Give me a name you want your dorf to be named as and profession(s).

Also, I took the time to make a new drawing. This one took 1 hr and 40 min though, since I had to do a bit of research.
Spoiler: Hand Drawn (click to show/hide)

Jeffery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Damn aquifers!~~ -Spoony's Turn-
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2011, 10:57:05 am »

Jeffery, and I want to be a miner. Also, could I sign up for a turn?

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2011, 10:57:25 am »

Would it be okay for me to play for the rest of the year consider that the FB came within the first month of my turn and the rules say:
If you are receiving the save and another HFS came along, you do not need to pass it on. This rule only applies if there is no current threat before the HFS arrived.
And there was an FB earlier,  but it left the map and came back (As mentioned in Komra/Andman's turn.) , does that still count as it being there previously
EDIT: I named a dwarf after you, Jeffery.
Also, another awesome drawing, Conan.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:00:20 am by A Spoony Bard »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2011, 11:04:04 am »

Spoony, you'll be fine for now. Don't want to deprive you of !!FUN!! here since you already struck candy.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:38 am »

Awesome, I'm writing the next update right now, though it's not been as eventful as the last update.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2011, 11:41:28 am »

First of Slate, Spring, Year 8
Today, that blasted fly, Arani Ociome Ayanuwara, was sighted near our walled off section of the cavern...

Second of Slate, Spring, Year 8
The room for Tobul and I is almost complete, it just needs to be engraved now...

Third of Slate, Spring, Year 8
The entrance to our fort is almost finished...

Nineth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
Designated some more quarters to be mined out. They could also double as tombs, if any more miners get frozen by the aquifier.

Tenth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
I had to wake up early today and go out into the freezing cold to greet some migrants...
Among them I saw a soapmaker, A peasant, who knew how to fight with an axe, and other fighting skills, a High Master dyer, who was also proficient in fighting with a hammer, dodging, and using armor and sheilds, I drafted him into the military immediatly, though, upon being told this he immediatly removed his gloves, one of his shoes, one of his socks, and his cap, he certainly is an odd one. I also saw a gem cutter, an animal dissector who came with a goat that I hope was his pet, a bowyer, who was also adept at engraving, a fisherdwarf, a milker, who was also a novice in fighting with a spear, the milker's pet Guineahen, the milker's pet poult, an animal dissector, and armorer, a stonecrafter who was also proficient in butchery, a baby alpaca that could be used for it's wool, another goat, a high master woodcutter, the child of the woodcutter, another soapmaker, a wax worker, who was proficient in mining, a woodcrafter, the child of the woodcrafter and wax worker, another woodcrafter, who was also a novice at bare-fisted fighting, and an adequate armorsmith, a farmer, who was also proficient in wood crafting, and a novice in fighting with an axe, a Llama, nother baby alpaca, a wood burner, a Siege Operator, and lastly, the wood burner's pet Keet.
Thirteenth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
All of the stonefall traps at thew entrance have been constructed and

loaded. Our fortress is now fairly safe!
Fourteenth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
I told one of the craftsdwarves to stop making bone bolts indefinitely,

and instead make rock pots indefinitely.
Sixteenth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
We have begun mining towards the glorious adamantine. After being in the mines myself, I know how fast we can mine, so I estimate that we will have reached the adamantine before the month is over.

Seventeenth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
A strong snowstorm has begun, luckily our Migrants are already safe inside of the fortress.
Eighteenth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
As I defended the miners from zombie bugbats while coming closer to the wonderful adamantine, I started thinking of all the glorious things we shall build once we get our hands on the blue metal. Perhaps we shall add a Masterfully Crafted adamantine statue as a glorious centerpiece for our dining room.
Nineteenth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
Today I remembered the horrific stories of dwarves who had dug too much adamantine from the earth, and ordered the miners and mechanics to begin work on a device to seal the passage if needed...
Twenty Third of Slate, Spring, Year 8
The adamantine forms a sheer cliff on the side of the cavern, so we have to mine over it.
Twenty Fourth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
Today I took a look at the map of the cavern, the bottom seems to be filled with water.
On another notes, I finally got the farmes to actually DO THEIR JOB. Our edible plants stocks are on the rise again!
Twenty Sixth of Slate, Sping, Year 8
One measly Urist away from the Raw adamantine...
And Farmerbob suddenly decides it's high time for a break.
Twenty Seventh of Slate, Spring, Year 8
One Urist away from Adamantine, still, and all the miners decide that they have better things to do...
Twenty Eighth of Slate, Spring, Year 8
Today I had to designate a wall to be built in order for a support to be built on top of it. Unfortunately this means the passageway to the adamantine vein will be blocked. Even though it's for the good of the fort, I am beginning to get frustrated by all the obstacles preventing our miners from getting the blue metal...

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2011, 01:52:03 pm »

Must be an omen.

So exactly what are you planning to use to stop the d-men? Raised bridge?

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »

Actually, I built a wall, Built a support on top of it, removed the wall, channeled the floor a z-level above the support, so when activated the Support drops a 1x1 Natural Wall, blocking the passage, as natural walls don't deconstruct upon cave-in.

EDIT:

First of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
The wall is finished.
I can only hope that we will be able to reach the adamantine safely soon.
Second of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
The support is almost finished.
Soon we will be able to close the tunnel if it is invaded by forces from the depths of the earth.
The tunnel has a Suppor above on of the levels, Which is capable of dropping one natural wall down, blocking the passage from the rest of the fort.
I can only hope that in the event that we dig too deep, a Brave dwarf could pull this lever in time, and keep Uristildom safe.
Third of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
The lever for contraption, which I have dubbed the "Invader Lock", Is located behind the upward staircase in the workshop area.

Eighth of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
One of our war dogs has given birth to puppies. Hopefully they will live long enough to add to our arsenal of war dogs.
Thirteenth of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
Finally, we have gotten to the adamantine!
We can now mine it out, and incase horrors start pouring out, we can block off the mines!
We may lose one miner, but the process would save the ENTIRE fort.

We have now dug down as far as I feel is safe. Plenty of adamantine shall soon be ours!
Fourteenth of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
The miners are sure taking their time coming down to the mines to mine the adamantine...
Fifteenth of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
The elves have arrived.
I send a trader to the depot, but no items.
Those elves won't know what hit them....
Sixteenth of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
I designated a dump on a small hill in the cavern, so we could get rid of all the stone on the floor.

(Weird, the screenshots seem to keep getting messed up, but most of the time it isn't a problem.)
Also, I designated a new area to be mined out today, where we shall craft our glorious supply of adamantine.
Seventeenth of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
The elves finally got to the trade depot today.
Hopefully our..."transaction"...will be over soon.
Twentith of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
I got a peek at the trader's goods today, two caged Gibbons, and a caged Gorilla. Can gorillas be trained for war? I'll have to make a mental note to ask Tobul about that. She seems to know about that sort of stuff, seeing as she's our bookkeeper.

Later today, we seized all of the Elves supplies and items.
Then we killed them.
It was quite fun.
Twenty Second of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
The Adamantine Room is almost done. The workshop area needs to be mined out.
Twenty Seventh of Felsite, Spring, Year 8
Today I spotted some Zombie elk near the entrance, and sent the military to go kill them. It was veyr refreshing, I haven't got to go out and kill zombie elk for a long time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:29:00 pm by A Spoony Bard »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 30, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »

Woo, candy!

Make me an axe, and armor for both me and you.

Hopefully we'll become spartan dwarves over time.

Jeffery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Candy Cane Cliff~~ -Spoony's Turn-
« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »

Maybe we could designate some of the candy for some shiny new pickaxes? *hint* *hint*
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18