Poll

What is our next project?

Helm's Deep (LOTR) style wall
The Bridges of Flinging
Underground Labyrinth
Second Aquifer Breach
Post in topic

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Soon to have a Circus!~~ -Spoony's Turn-  (Read 30680 times)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~No stone is sad fortress~~ -Save up-
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2011, 12:48:43 pm »

It was my comic style. I started (and probably wont finish) a hand-drawn dwarven comic and then I created that hairstyle.

I guess I can change that.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:24 pm »

I've noticed that Tobul never really spends time doing bookkeeping work. Is that an actual "job" they will appear to do on the units screen or is it passive?

you need to set the bookkeeper's accuracy to "highest" for them to do any work. and the job "update records" will appear on the units list.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Machinesquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2011, 06:08:28 pm »

I've noticed that Tobul never really spends time doing bookkeeping work. Is that an actual "job" they will appear to do on the units screen or is it passive?

you need to set the bookkeeper's accuracy to "highest" for them to do any work. and the job "update records" will appear on the units list.

Check the book-keeper settings screen. That's [n]obles, scroll down to book-keeper, then {s}ettings. If he isn't doing any work, it's because he's still on low precision, means we're only accurate up to 100 Urist. [I began writing this before I saw andyman's post, thought I'd lend some extra detail since I already typed it out. ;)

I have many ideas to suggest, but I don't want to limit my own opportunities... What kind of stone is there in the caves? I ask because there is a very small set of stone types (sandstone,conglomerate,puddingstone) that can be aquifer sources. Mine those out of the cavern and we're making progress. If there's soil, then an elaborate system to deliver water back into the aquifer may be necessary...

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »

the ENTIRE first cavern, top to bottom, is composed of congolmerate. all of which contains an aquifer, and is leaking in several places. it's not possible, without channeling away the surface, to dig anywhere in there without hitting more aquifer.

directly below the aquifer is Granite and Dolomite, which is what Lower Uristildom is built in. As you make your way towards the second cavern level you hit rock slat and marble, with a couple tetrahedrite veins crossing the passageway.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:42:38 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Machinesquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2011, 06:53:08 pm »

ow...

That's horrible.

Buy some turkeys. Them are ballin'. (I have a fort that runs on turkeys and brewed plump helmets. Turkeys produce ridiculous numbers of eggs.)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »

So did anyone else notice my picture?

Also, we already have chickens so we don't need turkeys. Turkeys produce more eggs but less frequently than chickens, who lay about 5 less eggs. Turkeys, however yield more meat and so are a viable source for meat.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »

Dairy of Inod Komra

15th Timber

The supply caravan form the Mountainhome has arrived! i've instructed Kivish to wait for them at the depot while the rest of us move the goods up.

18th Timber

when the merchants entered the gatehouse and saw our militia armed and armored with wood, bone and leather, they broke into fits of hysterical laughter... after they all calmed down, one of the merchants exclaimed "by Armok's beard! you can't seriously think that you can adequately defend yourselves with that kind of equipment!"

Kivish answered the still chuckling merchant: "we've got only tetrahedrite here, and not enough wood to spare for charcoal making, so we had to make due"

"WELL! Are you ever in luck my friend, we've got an entire wagon load of weapons and armor. it was originally destined to one of the other fledgling forts, but when we arrived, it was overrun with goblins. i think we can strike a deal here don't you?"

Kivish and the merchant then began negotiating a deal... boring stuff, i'm going back inside.

21st Timber

Kivish came to me today and proudly stated that he had successfully purchased all of their wood, most of their metal weapons, some armor, two mining picks, a few shields, some booze, cheese, fish and most importantly, an anvil!. and it only cost us our entire stock of finished goods and a couple barrels of eggs!

In other news, Upper Uristildom has been pretty much abandoned. the hospital will stay up there, no use lugging an injured dwarf down 11 levels to get medical attention. The old dining area has been converted into sleeping quarters for the military, and the rest of the area will be marked as a pasture/tree farm.

1st Moonstone

the freezing artic winds have started blowing, today. and with them comes winter.

4th Moonstone

well diary, in the event of a catastrophic failure of our defenses, i can now safely lock myself in my suite with the pull of a lever. i've added a similar setup to Tobul's suite as well. now i just need to stockpile a bit of food and drink and i'll be ready for anything!

13th Moonstone

Today Conan Came to me diary, she was very happy with her shiny new steel battle axe and steel breastplate.

she told me that she had met with the liaison and had requested that the mountainhome send us leather, wood, armor, weapons, metal bars, and a few other things that she thought were useful. Conan muttered something about getting some sort of "allowance" from the merchants and something bout getting more armor and weapons, i guess wielding a steel battleaxe gives you the upper hand while negotiating...

She also said that the liaison had made some requests of us and that she had written then down. i've inserted the list below.

it looks like the Mountainhome is creating an army of marksdwarves, why else would they pay such a premium for quivers, waterskins and plants from one of their non-economic forts.

28th Moonstone

the workshop level is complete! we've grouped workshops based on material usage and have placed the stockpile to match.

we've also finished up the kitchens, which branch off of the food and drink stockpiles.

and to deal with the lack of wood for beds, we've carved out a small dormitory north of the smoothed out dining hall. those who were lucky enough to grab a bed in the hallway have a private bedroom now. the rest will have to share for the time being.

1st Opal

ZOMBIE ELKS! SLAY THEM! wow diary, either our militia is epic or zombies are really, really weak...

10th Opal

the woodcutters have been bugging me for the past month and a half to go cut down the trees on the hill, i finally cracked today and let them have at it. however a herd of (regular) elk on the tree hill diary, and i'm no elf, but i know that those pesky beasts just love to interrupt woodcutters... i've sent out the militia to clear a path.

well diary, i'd like to say that the dieing screams of elk are echoing through the hills, but they're just to dam fast for our militia... maybe some marksdwarves are in order. wait a minute, one of the recruits has caught up to an elk! he's broken it's leg, the elk is down! Spoony has joined the fray now, and what's he doing? is he BITING THE ELK!? Armok dammit diary, as much as i commend the blood lust of our kind, would it be too much to ask for the soldiers TO USE THEIR FREAKING WEAPONS!

11th Opal

since none of the other soldier's can even come close to catching up to an elk, i've cancelled the hunt. Spoony walked right past where i was standing, steel greaves glittering in the sunlight, and smiled a wicked smile, with fresh elk blood still dripping down his face. Armok help us.

Part 4

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:45:22 pm by andyman564 »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:12 pm »

Use the caravan as our military arms supplier. Relieves digging operations.

Also try to start some type of sustainable economy, clothing would do nicely since we already have dimple cups.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2011, 11:56:33 am »

thank Armok, an ANVIL!
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »

Also, I don't suggest completely abandoning upper Uristildom since it has the only soil area where we can farm without muddying the soil. Maybe you could restrict the next immiwave to a burrow up there where they will produce food, booze, and cloth for the lower Uristildom populace to use/sell.

Just an idea, so you don't have to kill your fps again.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2011, 01:57:05 pm »

He's only got about a month and a half worth of Playtime, so I don't think that any migrants will come in that time.
But that does sound like a good idea, and if he doesn't do it/get any migrants, I may do that.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Damn aquifers!~~ -Save up-
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2011, 01:58:41 pm »

Spoony, did you see my picture? It's on the second last post on page 12.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

Indeed, I did.
It is awesome, I must say.
Also, why are there goblins in the distance? I don't consider it a bad addition, but it seems kind of odd as we haven't had any encounters with goblins... yet.
Though, I know I will probably run into goblins.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2011, 03:56:55 pm »

Also, I don't suggest completely abandoning upper Uristildom since it has the only soil area where we can farm without muddying the soil. Maybe you could restrict the next immiwave to a burrow up there where they will produce food, booze, and cloth for the lower Uristildom populace to use/sell.

Just an idea, so you don't have to kill your fps again.

i made certain that Lower Urisitildom is self sufficient. in terms of food production that is. the six farm plots are located in the upper caverns. all that mud on the ground finally did us some good!

though i was thinking of doing something similar, segregating immigrants, only allowing the "worthy" to pass into the true fort.

Use the caravan as our military arms supplier. Relieves digging operations.

Also try to start some type of sustainable economy, clothing would do nicely since we already have dimple cups.

i've never been into the textile industry,  and we have enough loose stone to last for years anyways...

P.S. I'll do what i want with the caravan on my turn. it just so happens that what i thought was best for next year was more armor and weapons instead of a pile of plump helmets and quartzite.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2011, 08:43:57 pm »

Dairy of Inod Komra

16th Opal

It seems that Spoony has commandeered every piece of steel armor in the fortress, Conan was a little upset that she now has to wear a mahogany chain shirt of all things!

also we've struck another section of the lower caverns while digging out the last of the rooms! as the miners peered into the darkness, they identified many gemstone clusters, but the only metal they saw was tetrahedrite.. dammit. i'm having walls and floors built to maintain symmetry

24th Opal

The dining hall is now completely engraved diary! now we can eat whilst surrounded by numerous renditions of the symbol of our glorious civilization!

just as i raised my beard from the floor an deafening roar was heard... when the echoes subsided, one of the farmers came running to me in a panic "EDIMI HAS COME! EDIMI HAS COME!"

the farmer said that she was looking through a crack in the walls when she saw the terrible beast arrive and recognized it from the childhood tales that are told to every young dwarf... she also said that Edimi looked wounded... never, in a hundred years, wound i want to see whatever could wound such a terrible beast.

i'm glad we're safe behind our stone walls diary, i doubt that the military could have killed this monstrosity.

the farmer also mentioned that the water level in the lakes looked the same as when we had finished capping the springs that we could reach. Armok dammit, now i know for certain that there's more uncapped springs out there, most of which are probably underwater. we'll never be able to fully reclaim this cavern.

3rd Obsidian

Every few days Edimi lets out one of those monstrous roars diary, and you can tell it's starting to get to people... i've also sent out the militia to cull the herds of undead muskox, i won't watch this time. After the display they put on last time, i'm sure they're quite capable of handling the undead. even more so now that they have real weapons.

Also, i've made my first friend here diary! the doctor, Squid, she seems like a nice girl.

4th Obsidian

A baby girl has been born! the mother is a herbalist that goes by the name of Unib, and the father is Medtob, one of our swordsdwarfs.

i hope that the baby lives long enough to be an asset to the fort. and i hope Medtob lives long enough to be a good father to his child.

on a slightly more disturbing note diary, Conan passed me in the hall while going to refill her water skin. please tell me those weren't bits of rotting flesh hanging from her lips...

8th Obsidian

one of the springs has been fully capped dairy! the other is too high up for us to reach, so Farmerbob had the miners dig drainage stairs directly beneath the source. the result is a pleasant stream of mist. i would've made this area into a statue garden, but it appears that the very roof itself is leaking water.

16th Obsidian

with the trees harvested from outside we've been able to furnish the western hall of bedrooms and have started to work on the eastern hall.

Farmerbob and the miners have dug a small mining shaft to access the closest tetrahedrite vein. Farmerbob, with his legendary mining skill, struck the vein wall but once, and declared he knew the exact layout of the entire deposit. he and his apprentices are now clearing it out.

26th Obsidian

we now have 38 private bedrooms, not counting the two suites. our wood stocks are getting low again, so i've halted production of beds and bins. i hope those elves come again, we need more wood. and besides Spoony wants to taste some more elf blood this spring, and i certainly don't want to piss him off...

28th Obsidian

With one final roar, our uninvited guest wandered out of our territory, but i have a feeling that it'll be back.

Dairy, this overseer stuff is really stressing, i've been so busy this last year giving orders, drawing plans and shaking my head is disbelief that i've hardly had any time to do what i love most, work the rock. i'm resigning diary, and tonight at the new year's party i'll pick my successor.

1st Granite

Hah! that was too easy dairy! some poor fool eagerly took the position of overseer when i offered it up, never got his name. he'll learn the hardships of being overseer dairy, he'll learn.

SAVE FILE
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:50:16 pm by andyman564 »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18