Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red Faction: Armageddon  (Read 1342 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Red Faction: Armageddon
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:46:15 pm »

I picked this game up earlier today expecting the Guerilla-style open world sandbox I fell in love with.  Ten minutes later and I'm feeling pissed off, having bought what is essentially a corridor FPS (a genre I have always detested.)

Then it gave me the magnet gun.  The possibility to bring literally any two objects/enemies/chunks of building etc hurtling towards each other at ludicrously high speeds changed everything.  I finished the game about five minutes ago, having not taken a single break.  The plot is a mess, pacing is almost non-existent and the enemies are now mostly alien/monster things, but the sheer destructability of the gameworld makes up for all of this.  Another cool feature is the ability to pretty much instantly repair any damage done via the use of nanomites.  There's something that just feels right about waiting for an enemy to blow up the wall you're using as cover, only to drop a bridge on their head and instantly repair it.

It's honestly the first FPS I have enjoyed in at least a decade and I would recommend any fans of the genre (or people who like to blow things up in cool ways) buy this game immediately.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Red Faction: Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 05:48:41 pm »

After playing Gurreilla, this has been a letdown. The new features are cool, but we're stuck in tunnels the whole game using them. If it would just be more of a sandbox and let the player breathe it would be great, but I feel ripped off now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »

After playing Gurreilla, this has been a letdown. The new features are cool, but we're stuck in tunnels the whole game using them. If it would just be more of a sandbox and let the player breathe it would be great, but I feel ripped off now.

I agree completely.  Compared to Guerilla, it does feel like a step backwards.  It was only after I began considering it as a FPS rather than a sequel that I really started getting in to it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:37:19 pm »

It's a short rail shooter. Blah.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

I was also dissapointed after playing guerilla then armageddon. I was really sad that there wasn't any sandbox :(. I kind of knew they wouldnt be any because it all takes place underground, but they could've made it atleast a little non linear.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:42 pm »

Whats with all the people getting disappointed with it not being open worlds?
Have you people not played the first one?
It plays like a remake of the second one though(cannot destroy walls and stuff)
I would love if the game series returned to its wall digging technology.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:16 pm »

This. Just fucking this.

The wall destructing was one of the best things in Red Faction. And they had to butcher it.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:24 pm »

This. Just fucking this.

The wall destructing was one of the best things in Red Faction. And they had to butcher it.

Me and my friends would spend entire deathmatches just using the rocket launcher to dig tunnels. We never managed to hit any sort of boundary in the time limit. I miss that game.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:30:16 am »

I liked how some levels had guns hidden behind some of the walls. Was a nice touch.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »

At 30% in according to the upgrade machine, does the game ever change from "point gun at debris, point gun at enemy" and "point gun at enemy, point gun at far away wall, preferably over bottomless pit" followed by "slowly spray liquid Undo Button onto broken walkways leading to next room"?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 06:59:34 am »

Well I think THQ Said they are launching another one in two years, so let us see.
I just wish they would put Saints Row 4 on Mars.
Thank you based dwarf.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:27:55 am »

Well I think THQ Said they are launching another one in two years, so let us see.
I just wish they would put Saints Row 4 on Mars.

What? Are you kidding me?
I hope they god damn merge saints row and red faction so that we don't have to wait for new installments.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:11:53 am »

Im 75% of the way through, its definately not a bad game, im having fun, few very cool weps, but yeah, if they had of taken some of the vehicles/weps and put them into open world this would have been a 9/10 game easy
If life gives you lemons, burn them.