Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone know a good pvp game in fantasy setting?  (Read 5054 times)

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone know a good pvp game in fantasy setting?
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:33:48 pm »

The last "pvp" fantasy game ive played was warhammer online wich was really fun till you hit endgame and well lately ive been longing for something similar.

So, Do you guys know a good one ?

-cant be korean (i dispise hellish grinds)
-PvP is preferably accessible from the start.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know a good pvp game in fantasy setting?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:39:12 pm »

Age of Chivalry was fun as long as you keep all the other players muted.

Edit:  Although I suppose it might count as more of "medieval" than "fantasy".
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:52:25 pm »

League of Legends?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:25:06 am »

There's always the "800 pound gorilla in the room", World of Warcraft. One can start doing battleground PvP at level 10 and level up via PvP (just be aware there are some level ranges where some classes overpower others). WoW's a fun game and is worth a spin if you like fantasy MMOs.

There's also Guild Wars and its expansions, with a sequel coming out soon.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:41:38 am by Flying Carcass »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:29:32 am »

Demon's souls The game is centered towards single player a lot, but you can invade other people's worlds or help them or challange them to a duel. If you kill them you get all they're souls(money and xp in the game).

It is a playstation 3 exclusive though.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:17:59 am »

As much as I hate to advertise for the pieces of crap...

Mortal Online / Darkfall Online are both pretty heavy PvP games.

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:46 am »

thanks for suggestions , atm i'm trying out league of legends =)

Having a hard time figuring out what items to buy in what situations etc =/

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:41:58 am »

Try Mount and Blade, Rinkanu, search for the videos on google. It's multiplayer too. Also it's built around being modable to an extent, there are a whole lot of mods for it and it's very fun.

For example, you can be a mounted archer. I'm quite proud of what it turned into, as it's an example of how a game studio can make a good game and come out of no where to launch a successful company that hopefully will not run the route of a lot of a game companies. I managed to buy the beta for it when it was still cheap, and it was one of the best game purchases I've ever made as I paid 15$ for a game I played through it's development.

Also, look into realism mods, an awesome guy named Ron Losey started adding his knowledge to how weapons would work realistically, and he did a very good job. He is some kind of American professor teaching in China, or was for a while when he was working on the realism mod. He also had done basic studies like how effective is a type of axe against chainmail, vs a machete, vs other similar instruments and his insights made the game more fun as it was difficult yet balanced differently from Native M&B. He worked with a lot of the early mods and I hope the later mods have the same feel to them.

Also, it turns out that two handed axes are pretty much the weapon of choice for a strike against non defending dummy, against any type of armor, although a big hammer works too. Axes just have the weight and the cut and can go through kevlar easily if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:54:23 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:03:20 am »

thanks for suggestions , atm i'm trying out league of legends =)

Having a hard time figuring out what items to buy in what situations etc =/

Look up some builds online for your favorite champions. A bit hard to do while in game, but if you narrow your champions down to two or three you like to play, then you can get a build memorized for them pretty easily.

Also, at low levels, you can do pretty well just buying the recommended items.

While you already mentioned it, the only MMO I ever had fun with actually doing PVP things was Warhammer online. Didn't have enough fun to pay the fee, but it was still pretty fun while my free month lasted.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:06:11 am by sluissa »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:08:34 am »

I loved the Warhammer Online trial! My wild Chaos marauder charged in there with a bunch of his fellow chaos newbies, and at first we just rushed to good guys, heavy casualties on both sides and the objectives were pretty even... Then a couple of more experienced players started ordering us around, and GET THIS, their commands actually helped, and using TACTICS of all things, we managed to smash the servants of Sigmar and achieve a great victory! I was hooked after that, I'd still be playing it if I had proper internet... *Sigh* :(
Also, I'm itching to try out Age of Conan. Looks good.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:27:26 am »

While you already mentioned it, the only MMO I ever had fun with actually doing PVP things was Warhammer online. Didn't have enough fun to pay the fee, but it was still pretty fun while my free month lasted.

You know they've made it so the first ten levels are free forever, right? :p

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:44:30 pm »

Hehe yeah warhammer was great , only mmo i actually lvl'd mainly from pvp , twice! one black orc and 1 squig herder.

The 1 thing that ruined it for me was that once you hit lvl 40 the only scenario you ended up doing was serpents passage wich got old REALLY fast.
And seriously the taking turns with the other faction taking keeps without ever fighting over one really gutted my last hope of fun pvp endgame.

But i must say , I NEVER enjoyed the leveling process in an mmo as much as warhammer , was a blast.

(and ive played tons of mmo's)

So atm , reading up on league of legends tips etc. i have yet to step into a pvp match XD. i'm the kinda guy that has to know evrything there is to know before starting =p

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:49 pm »

Hehe yeah warhammer was great , only mmo i actually lvl'd mainly from pvp , twice! one black orc and 1 squig herder.

The 1 thing that ruined it for me was that once you hit lvl 40 the only scenario you ended up doing was serpents passage wich got old REALLY fast.
And seriously the taking turns with the other faction taking keeps without ever fighting over one really gutted my last hope of fun pvp endgame.

But i must say , I NEVER enjoyed the leveling process in an mmo as much as warhammer , was a blast.

(and ive played tons of mmo's)

So atm , reading up on league of legends tips etc. i have yet to step into a pvp match XD. i'm the kinda guy that has to know evrything there is to know before starting =p

Honestly once you know a character build it's probably best to just start playing. Until you hit level 15 everyone is going to be terrible anyway, unless they are smurfing (playing on a different account). So if you know too much about the game you'll just get annoyed at everyone's terribleness.

That said, watching streams are a great way to see the metagame and see high level play, what they buy in different situations, etc.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:25:55 pm »

www.mobafire.com is a decent resource for finding builds on characters you haven't played before. Don't follow them to the letter, though; try to get a feel of what each character is capable of for yourself.

Maybe that's the long time DotA and HoN player in me speaking up, but hey.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:57 pm »

As much as I hate to advertise for the pieces of crap...

Mortal Online / Darkfall Online are both pretty heavy PvP games.

Did Darkfall not turn out good?

I remember hearing about it like, 3 or four years ago and being like "that looks like it could be cool if I were to ever play a MMORPG."
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.
Pages: [1] 2