Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cattle rustlers  (Read 2628 times)

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cattle rustlers
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:04:09 am »

I was thinking a little while back about kobold thieves and goblin snatchers, and how susceptible my llamas would be to the local wildlife if I didn't build fences, and it suddenly hit me that there could easily be a class of thief that drags your livestock off the map, sort of like those stories of Sioux stealing horses as an act of bravery or somesuch.

While I could imagine goblins doing this and eating/riding the cows/horses/elephants/whatevers obtained thereby, or the kobolds being all coyote-like and making off with your stray cats and puppies, I think this would be a great thing to see if you had elvish neighbors:

Eilonwe Treefondler, Elvish Activist has liberated a Tame Rooster!

(Yeah yeah, they'd probably be called something else. Like 'Rustler'.)

Maybe you'd see this more if you antagonized the elves, or maybe they'd just do it all the time due to general elfbaggery. It'd certainly give elves an interesting boost from just being the easily-annoyed cloth merchants they are now. They'd be stealthed trapavoiders, much like kobold thieves. Guard animals would ignore the elves due to their 'friend to all animals' power, and then get 'liberated'. Maybe they'd open cages, too, just to be really sneaky, and get at your other animals. And next time you got elf-sieged, perhaps you'd have to deal with various 'Feral' animals brought back to their old stomping grounds.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Cattle rustlers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

i like it. But i still think elves are too proud and noble to do that. maybe Goblin thief has stolen a stray horse! ? kobolds would be good but they are too small. Oh wait .. it's Dwarf Fortress
Kobold thief has stolen a stray polar bear!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:09:08 am »

---kobolds being all coyote-like and making off with your stray cats and puppies---
I agree :3

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:14:24 am »

i think it will be better with elves and kobolds. After all, why should goblins want your horses? they prefer babies

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:05 am »

i think it will be better with elves and kobolds. After all, why should goblins want your horses? they prefer babies

But wait! They could end up with a civ run by a puppy!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:02 am »

WIN!!!!!!
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:26:55 am »

But wait! They could end up with a civ run by a puppy!

You do know you're entirely responsible for this picture, don't you?  :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:08:07 am »

I totally support this...And the puppy.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:05:03 am »

All hail our new puppy overlords!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:52:11 am »

I like this idea, but..sorry to burst your bubbles...the puppy would most likely not be a civ member, just a pet, so it would not be king.
Too bad, otherwise if goblins stole a lion cub from an elven civ, they could have a lion king. And you could capture him and name him "Scar." And all sorts of Disney references.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40:55 pm »

Insert Portal 2 "Animal King" reference here.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:08 pm »

hail to the puppy king
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »

I for one, Support our new canine overlords.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 02:48:00 am »

Puppies for the puppy king! Bones for the Bone Throne!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 05:30:27 am »

I like this idea, but..sorry to burst your bubbles...the puppy would most likely not be a civ member, just a pet, so it would not be king.
Too bad, otherwise if goblins stole a lion cub from an elven civ, they could have a lion king. And you could capture him and name him "Scar." And all sorts of Disney references.

There is actual precident for animals becoming rulers, so it is possible. (No "People are animals too" statements please... I know)

Mind you I am not very well versed at what EXACTLY happens in that case assuming the monarch is supported. My guess though is that they get someone else to run the kingdom and the animal becomes a figurehead.
Pages: [1] 2