Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guild Wars (and 2!)  (Read 1478 times)

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars (and 2!)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 07:34:39 pm »

In Guild Wars 2, engineer rocket jump! There's loads of vids. It looks pretty amazing.

EDIT: Another vid.

EDIT2: Or watch this.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:40:17 pm by RF »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:44:42 am »

So I'm debating getting a little group of my friends into Guild Wars for the MMO experience minus a monthly subscription, and the Steam summer sale's helping out a bit with the price. I'm not sure about expansions though... I know in WoW the expansions are necessary if you want to hit level cap and use all the races/classes and be able to go everywhere, but I know nothing about the GW ones except what's in their descriptions on Steam. How necessary are the expansions in GW? What are the differences between the Game of the Year edition and the Trilogy? Is there anything (except the Eye of the North expansion, possibly?) not in the trilogy?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 10:09:52 am »

GotY edition is only one of the three "main" campaigns. You've got Prophecies, Nightfall and Factions. GotY edition only has prophecies, and that's the longest campaign to level up in. Nightfall is mainly PvE, factions is mainly PvP.

You'd be better off getting the trilogy and then buying EotN once you hit max level.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 11:11:37 am »

The level cap is 20 regardless of what you own. Content wise you only have access to the campaigns you've bought, there's a set of core skills you have access to regardless of the campaigns you own and then each campaign you add on will give you access to that campaigns skills. Prophecies is the longest campaign and required along with EotN to play through the war in Kryta which is a relatively new bunch of quests helping advance the story in preparation for GW2 and contains some of the games most challenging PvE. Factions is the shortest PvE campaign but it gives you access to two additional classes as well as more PvP stuff*. Nightfall gives you another two classes and has a much longer campaign than factions it also introduces heroes and PvE only skills. Heroes are customisable NPCs you can use to fill out your party. You control everything about them and can even control them in a fight although that's kind of difficult. PvE skills are skills which are PvE only and rely on the progress of a title rather than your attributes to determine their power. EotN is an expansion so it doesn't contain quite as much content as the other stuff mainly it just expands on the features of Nightfall adding yet more heros and PvE skills.

*The extra PvP is in the form of 3 areas; Fort Aspenwood, where the Kurzicks defend an NPC inside a fort against the Luxons; Jade Quarry where both teams fight to control key points and protect NPCs as they travel from the base to these points then back again; and lastly Alliance Battles where the teams fight for control points which award them points over time.

My advice is to buy all 4 or if you want to be careful all buy the same campaign play it a bit to see how you feel then if you like it buy the rest.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 [2]