Advanced search  

Author Topic: YADFRT  (Read 2183 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
YADFRT
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »

Yet another Dwarf Fortress reference thread.

I'm making this both so that every time a new reference is found it doesn't need a thread, and since I found one myself.

A flash game called Elements of Arkandia has your character's default name "Urist McMage".

So, what other references have you guys found in your day to day life?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: YADFRT
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »

Yet another Dwarf Fortress reference thread.

I'm making this both so that every time a new reference is found it doesn't need a thread, and since I found one myself.

A flash game called Elements of Arkandia has your character's default name "Urist McMage".

So, what other references have you guys found in your day to day life?

Well, I've had to put up with six dwarves following me around everywhere, insisting that I am the only guy around who meets a very specific skill set they apparently need for an expedition. I'm not going, though, because those dwarves are jerks- I am so much more than a "competent" cook.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Xaft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:22:00 pm »

that game you linked in the first post, has more references than just that, its loaded with them

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:13:50 am »

There are more than the ones on that page, surely?

From memory, the cargo bay you get updgrades from in Starcraft II is called 'Bay 12' (I think I got that information off this very forum, in fact). That could at least go under the possible references section.

Umm... what else? I can't think of any right now.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:54:17 am by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10:21 am »

From memory, the cargo bay you get updgrades from in Starcraft II is called 'Bay 12' (I think I got that information off this very forum, in fact). That could at least go under the possible references section.
It's almost certainly a reference to the Alien series, which I believe is what the name "Bay12 Games" is a reference to as well.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »

It's almost certainly a reference to the Alien series, which I believe is what the name "Bay12 Games" is a reference to as well.

I've never seen Alien...

I mean... yes, Alien! I know exactly what you're referring to! In fact, I just finished rewatching the entire series so I'm about as knowledgeable now as I'll ever be!

I'll get round to it at some point.
[Signature]

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »

I was under the impression that there was also a very dwarfy looking mechanic in the cargo bay?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:21:41 pm »

I was under the impression that there was also a very dwarfy looking mechanic in the cargo bay?
He is very dwarfy.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.